PDA

View Full Version : Globe Printing BB cards

sealmark2
06-17-2019, 04:41 PM
I don't know if this belongs here but if not Leon feel free to move it. I am a collector of 1952 +/_ Globe printing minor league BB cards and would love to hear from you if you have any for sale or trade or just want to share notes on this tough to find stuff.

Thanks a lot.

Sealmark

Chris Counts
06-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Because I'm a type card collector who likes post-war stuff, these cards are essential. I'm very much interested in learning more about them. I recall hearing that the same company which made them was involved in producing the many b&w PCL sets from the late 40s, like the Remars. But I have no idea if this is true. I only own one of these ...

ValKehl
06-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Sealmark, you just missed this one that I sold on eBay on Sunday night. There was only one bidder (a hobby icon), which I think is a good indication that there isn't much demand for GP cards.

Leon
06-18-2019, 06:28 AM
Rarity can be both good and bad in our hobby. Lack of supply doesn't necessarily mean value. People tell me all the time "it's so rare it has to be valuable". To which I always say, it depends how much demand there is.

Sealmark, you just missed this one that I sold on eBay on Sunday night. There was only one bidder (a hobby icon), which I think is a good indication that there isn't much demand for GP cards.

Chris Counts
06-18-2019, 07:30 AM
These might not be popular — like many b&w issues — but they don't come cheap. The Sioux City Soos, by the way, seem to be the most common by far.

bocca001
06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Globe printing was in San Jose, CA. They also printed programs. Im attaching images from A 1953 program from an exhibition game between the NY Giants vs. Indians played in San Jose, CA. The entire back cover is an advertisement for Globe Printing, related to their production of baseball related material. There is also a picture of a Globe Printing display from some sort of professional conference (see pic). Sorry about the small photos.

The interior of the program contains what looks like Globe Printing cards (same style/format), for major league players (although they would not be blank backed). They are, however, smaller than the typical Globe printing cards (about 2 x 3).

I collect San Jose Red Sox Globe Printing cards and they are tough to come by, which seems strange given that Globe Printing was in San Jose. So it goes.

Globe’s association with San Jose minor league baseball dates back to at least 1942, as I have a San Jose Owls program printed by Globe Printing. They seemed to stop producing San Jose baseball programs around 1957, when the team (and apparently many minor league teams) were having a tough time financially

sealmark2
06-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Sorry Val but I did not miss your Globe card. As Chris mentioned the Soos are by far the most common of the Globes. As for popularity you may be surprised. Many collectors prefer to remain under the radar for a variety of reasons. I know of a number of Globe collectors and if you go to Ebay advanced search you will see several for sale at very high prices and can see more at completed listings. In any event it is fun looking for them. To each his/her own.
Sealmark

Chris Counts
06-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Here's an article I found by Bob Lemke that delves into the topic. Bob wrote that he was unsure if Globe had anything to do with the Remars, Sunbeans, Smith Clothing and Sommer & Kauffman cards ...

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2009/10/globe-printing-co-historical-data-comes.html