PDA

View Full Version : Halper Collection questions

rdwyer
06-06-2019, 04:40 PM
1. When was the Halpers Collection sold and which Auction company?

2. Buying something that came from this auction, is there a premium on top
of the regular price for having it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

midmo
06-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Sotheby's September 23-29, 1999. I can't imagine there would be a premium on anything just because it sold at this auction.

rdwyer
06-06-2019, 04:55 PM
I was referring to it being from the Barry Halper collection. Thanks for the auction company.

midmo
06-06-2019, 04:59 PM
I was referring to it being from the Barry Halper collection. Thanks for the auction company.

Right, that's what I meant. I can't imagine it holding a premium just because Halper owned it, but who knows. Maybe there are people out there that it makes a difference to.

rdwyer
06-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Looking for 1884 Lawson's Card game set that suppposedly belonged to Barry Halper. Thinking of grading the set and having from Barry Halper Collection on the slip. If I can find the auction, I can compare the cards to determine whether or they were Barry's.

midmo
06-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Here's that page from the catalog.

http://www.collectingbrooklyn.com/net54/1884Lawson.jpg

rdwyer
06-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Thanks. Ne1 know where I can find pictures of each card?

midmo
06-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Thanks. Ne1 know where I can find pictures of each card?

Nope, I can't help you there.

sb1
06-06-2019, 05:40 PM
The lots were very poorly listed and photo'd. Most lots don't even have a detailed description of what cards it contained. As to the memorabilia, well that's another story....generally steer clear.

rdwyer
06-06-2019, 06:15 PM
I have:

3 STRIKES
3 STRIKES MISSED
3 STRIKES OUT
7 BALLS
BASE HIT 1
BASE HIT 2
BASE HIT 3
BASEMAN 1
BASEMAN 2
BASEMAN 3
CATCHER
FLY BALL
FLY MUFF
FLY CATCH
FORCED OUT
FOUL BALL
FOUL CATCH
FOUL MUFF
GROUNDER
HOME RUN
PICK UP
STRIKER (9)
UMPIRE
VALUE OF CARDS
WILD THROW (5)

37 cards Total. Complete set. :)

Rhotchkiss
06-06-2019, 07:45 PM
I, personally, would pay a small premium for provenance, but that’s me. I think most people don’t care.

bobfreedman
06-06-2019, 08:05 PM
I purchased this a while back and thought it as a nice touch that it belonged to Halper. As far as I know it is a one of a kind piece. It does have the Halper sticker still attached to the back

Sean
06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
The lots were very poorly listed and photo'd. Most lots don't even have a detailed description of what cards it contained. As to the memorabilia, well that's another story....generally steer clear.

+1,000

They sold two T206 Planks in one lot, the all white Plank and the light blue in my avatar (I can't scan right now). They were both ungraded, and they described them as a white Plank which was missing color, and a regular Plank with the usual blue background. At least PSA caught the missing color on the light blue when they later graded it.

midmo
06-06-2019, 09:00 PM
I, personally, would pay a small premium for provenance, but that’s me. I think most people don’t care.

From what I understand so many of his memorabilia pieces had questionable authenticity so I'm not sure that provenance proves anything. I don't know. It's hard to trust anything.

ruth-gehrig
06-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Perhaps I am mistaken but I believe the authenticity questions arise from so called game used jerseys and memorabilia Halper claimed to have gotten from players or their family. I don't remember hearing anything specific about general "memorabilia" that wasnt somehow attached to a player.

perezfan
06-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Yes, it was a few of the game-used items that were proven to be fakes. Some were very high end, such as a Joe Jackson Jersey... a rather high profile item. ;)

The vast majority of items in the auction were legit, but the bad uniforms in question were so broadly publicized that to many, it tainted the entire collection. I believe there was an issue with Ty Cobb's dentures as well (you can't make this stuff up). But in reality, most of the general memorabilia was fine, and about 90 - 95% of the game-used lots were as advertised.

1880nonsports
06-07-2019, 11:28 AM
with whom to trade my signed Halper auction catalog. As for the percentages of real versus fake "stuff" I've heard 38% of all statistics are off. In the art world (stamps too and maybe others) there are collectors that collect "fakes". They do that knowingly. I think Barry got taken more than most due to his overwhelming need to acquire so much actually unattainable memorabilia.

Mark
06-07-2019, 04:43 PM
with whom to trade my signed Halper auction catalog. As for the percentages of real versus fake "stuff" I've heard 38% of all statistics are off. In the art world (stamps too and maybe others) there are collectors that collect "fakes". They do that knowingly. I think Barry got taken more than most due to his overwhelming need to acquire so much actually unattainable memorabilia.

If I recall the stories that circulated at the time, Halper was not 100% honest about his collection. It was said that he claimed that he acquired several important pieces from athletes in person in the 1950's, but these items turned out to have been produced many years later. It's too bad that he can't speak for himself to clear up the issues.

rdwyer
06-07-2019, 07:18 PM
1884 Lawson's Card game set pictures. There are 9 striker cards and 5 Wild Throw cards making the set complete at 36 plus Value of cards card.