PDA

View Full Version : Sgc stepping up!

ullmandds
06-05-2019, 01:33 PM
I know that it has been mentioned in the other thread’s but not everyone may be aware of this deal that SGC just announced.

The Crossover Special!!!
Pick a card, any card. Only $10!!!

Send in ANY graded card (regardless of value) in a competitor holder for our "Crossover" service for only $10!
So, how much can I submit my '52 Mantle in a PSA 5 for? The answer.....$10!!!
Set your minimums sky high or rock bottom low - it's entirely up to you!
What's the worst that can happen?
Your cards don't meet their minimum grade requirements and are sent back the exact same way in which they were sent in.
What's the best that can happen?
Your cards "cross" to SGC grades as good or even higher than the minimum you set!
Upcharges ONLY apply if the card "crosses" to the designated minimum grade or higher (we will always call for approval for any upcharge necessary).
To take advantage of this limited time offer, please call us at 800.742.9212 or email us at crossover@gosgc.com

Hopefully this will be just the beginning of a resurgence fir SGC...the most consistent of the big tppgersover time.

Viva SGC!!

CrackaJackKid
06-05-2019, 01:48 PM
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Fballguy
06-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Stampsfan
06-05-2019, 01:54 PM
IMO a good thing for SGC. My guess is they are trying to get more cards into their (new) holders.
Nothing wrong with them filling a void. I have to say my buying (and looking) habits have changed so much over the past couple of weeks. I cannot trust anything I see, so I need a small break.

oldjudge
06-05-2019, 02:30 PM
I’m going to guess that they won’t have to work extra hours to accommodate the deluge.

tribefan
06-05-2019, 02:44 PM
How much is the upcharge?

T_Hamilton
06-05-2019, 02:55 PM
IMO a good thing for SGC. My guess is they are trying to get more cards into their (new) holders.
Nothing wrong with them filling a void. I have to say my buying (and looking) habits have changed so much over the past couple of weeks. I cannot trust anything I see, so I need a small break.

I feel the same way... really only buying modern cards that have released in the past month or so...

perezfan
06-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Same here.... great post!

Yastrzemski Sports
06-05-2019, 03:27 PM
So... if I submit a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 5 for $10 then they charge me $10? But then an upcharge will apply if it crosses. So how much is the 1952 Mantle going to cost?

conor912
06-05-2019, 03:39 PM
So... if I submit a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 5 for $10 then they charge me $10? But then an upcharge will apply if it crosses. So how much is the 1952 Mantle going to cost?

Yeah, they have a golden opportunity here and they're blowing it by muddying the water.

TheRocket9
06-05-2019, 05:19 PM

When did SGC get new holders? All my recent SGC cards have the same old holders and gaskets. They just have new labels.

The Nasty Nati
06-05-2019, 05:23 PM
I'm in...when they go back to flips that don't have size 50 font.

swarmee
06-06-2019, 04:09 AM
Coming Monday, or at least sometime soon.

I see the reason to promote the crossover at this time, but there is probably still more value in cards that clear PSA's review process. You can't just switch all the Set Registry money guys over to SGC in a year, and probably never. I expect more will leave the card industry rather than restart from scratch with a new grading company.

But if this special can be used to pre-screen cards for PSA's Grade Guarantee and then present SGC's findings of "Altered" to PSA, you would stand a better chance of a refund/current market value. If you set a min grade of 5, if it is altered will SGC just say "Didn't meet min grade" or do they say "Altered: recoloring" when it comes to a crossover submission? Because you could take all your in limbo vintage cards, send them to SGC for a min grade of SGC 10 Pristine+ Never Been Kissed, and they would evaluate them for alterations first. When they assign an EX grade, it doesn't meet their standards for SGC 10. They return all the cards to you for $10 each, in the PSA holders, along with the knowledge that they either didn't make Min Grade or they're Altered.

But if people don't mind if their cards cross over to SGC as a way to get them out of a tainted PSA/PWCC/Moser cert number, it might make some sense. I'd rather see them all returned to PWCC first, PSA second.

tonyo
06-06-2019, 05:31 AM

Really, is that info available somewhere? I have 2 or 3 in BCCG & GAI holders I'd like to move,

swarmee
06-06-2019, 03:05 PM
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14741751&postcount=2577

Welcome to the "party", SGC?
Was:
https://i.imgur.com/ImPv7j5.png
Is:
https://i.imgur.com/K4v5Y3j.png

He must have the entire 101 Crayola colors box...

ullmandds
06-06-2019, 03:11 PM
U funny john!!! Id love to examine one under high magnification and hv/black light?

Exhibitman
06-06-2019, 06:56 PM
shave and a haircut
ten bucks plus upcharge

tonyo
06-17-2019, 04:16 PM
I contacted SGC about the upcharge on a 34 goudey Gehrig and a 33 Goudey Ruth #149 - both expecting to be SGC 1 .

He said $35 each less my initial $10

oldjudge
06-17-2019, 04:30 PM
It would have been worth more as a PSA 8. I wonder if after it was “improved” if it was submitted to PSA but turned down.

jchcollins
06-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Aaah dammit. I was taking comfort in the fact that they had not yet been implicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnorth
06-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Aaah dammit. I was taking comfort in the fact that they had not yet been implicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is only 1 card not 1000s like the others.:) That could actually just be a mistake by the grader.

oldjudge
06-17-2019, 07:47 PM
The doctors are better than the graders, all graders, period.

bnorth
06-17-2019, 07:54 PM
The doctors are better than the graders, all graders, period.

I agree ALL the graders at PSA and Beckett suck at their jobs. As bad as they are it would not surprise me if they got paid to pass those altered cards. People just can't be that bad at their jobs and keep them.:confused:

Peter_Spaeth
06-17-2019, 08:14 PM
I agree ALL the graders at PSA and Beckett suck at their jobs. As bad as they are it would not surprise me if they got paid to pass those altered cards. People just can't be that bad at their jobs and keep them.:confused:

There are lots of disturbing allegations on BO about a warm and fuzzy relationship between Beckett and some of the notorious modern trimmers. And an epic thread about supposedly favorable grades for an ex employee.

pokerplyr80
06-17-2019, 08:15 PM
This is actually pretty clever marketing as well as great timing. Great for collectors too as you can send cards in trying for a crossover bump. If not successful you're only out 10 bucks + shipping. Just make sure you're sending in cards that if successful will have created enough value to cover the grading fees you will be charged.

Also great for those worried about cards that may or may not be altered and part of this Moser scandal. If nothing else you can get the cards out of holders with cert numbers that have been called out on blow out.

oldjudge
06-17-2019, 08:32 PM

Including SGC

bnorth
06-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Including SGC

Am I missing something?:confused:

Or are you talking about the horrible autograph part of the company that they thankfully shut down?

Personally I would prefer them to stick strictly to cards. In my experience they do a damn fine job with them.

Leon
06-20-2019, 03:03 PM
SGC is still my go to grader (and of course an advertiser here) but I don't always agree with their assessments. I doubt I would agree with any of the TPGs all of the time though. They are all human so far...:cool:

Am I missing something?:confused:

Or are you talking about the horrible autograph part of the company that they thankfully shut down?

Personally I would prefer them to stick strictly to cards. In my experience they do a damn fine job with them.

RiceBondsMntna2Young
06-20-2019, 04:46 PM
If nothing else you can get the cards out of holders with cert numbers that have been called out on blow out.

...so like, use SGC to rinse your dirty cards is your suggested angle?

pokerplyr80
06-20-2019, 08:24 PM
...so like, use SGC to rinse your dirty cards is your suggested angle?

I'm talking about the list of cert numbers that was posted with no evidence at all. My guess is many of those cards are fine, but the suspicion could hurt sales in the future, especially if one of those guys creates another post while an auction was live. I would not be happy if I owned one of those cards and if there was nothing done to it I'd still want it in a new holder.

1952boyntoncollector
06-21-2019, 09:11 AM
SGC is still my go to grader (and of course an advertiser here) but I don't always agree with their assessments. I doubt I would agree with any of the TPGs all of the time though. They are all human so far...:cool:

All this is still better than no third party graders with 2 middle aged guys who think they know everything and will break deals over 1 dollar of shipping arguing over what a 'Near Mint' Card is on an ebay transaction.

How many more cards would be returned percentage wise if no third party graders...40%? who knows

Peter_Spaeth
06-21-2019, 09:37 AM
I'm talking about the list of cert numbers that was posted with no evidence at all. My guess is many of those cards are fine, but the suspicion could hurt sales in the future, especially if one of those guys creates another post while an auction was live. I would not be happy if I owned one of those cards and if there was nothing done to it I'd still want it in a new holder.

My own presumption would be that if a card doctor submits a card, it's at least reasonably likely it's altered. It may not be, but I sure as hell wouldn't assume it isn't.

Republicaninmass
06-21-2019, 09:42 AM
IMO New grading is terrible. A PSA 8 (slight mc on back) became an sgc 4.

pokerplyr80
06-21-2019, 12:10 PM
My own presumption would be that if a card doctor submits a card, it's at least reasonably likely it's altered. It may not be, but I sure as hell wouldn't assume it isn't.

True, I wouldn't assume anything one way or the other. Short of sending it in for a review or second opinion there isn't much else that can be done. If the "experts" at PSA, SGC, or BGS can't tell if a card is altered or not I doubt I will be able to.