PDA

View Full Version : Sell 1921 Morgan Silver Dollars to Invest in T206 Card?

bmcnutt
05-18-2019, 11:23 AM
I have several 1921 Morgan Silver Dollars. These are not rare coins, but are in really good shape. I have been contemplating selling these coins and using the money to invest in T206 PSA Graded Cards. With the price of silver not moving up considerably, while the value of T206 PSA Graded Cards continue to rise with no end in sight, I am trying to decide what my best move will be.

Any one ever done this or have thoughts on this?

Thromdog
05-18-2019, 12:03 PM
How much? ;)

I have traded silver for cards back and forth with a few folks here.....

vintagetoppsguy
05-18-2019, 12:06 PM
I would keep the Morgans over T206s, but that's just me. My opinion is probably in the minority given that this a pre-war BB card chatboard. That said, if you do decide to sell the Morgans, hit me up. I'd be interested.

Goudey77
05-18-2019, 01:06 PM
I traded commodities and silver during its run up to the 50’s. I would hold out. Unless you are completely bored and looking to get cards.
If I can provide an analogy buying or trading for T206 now would be like getting into silver at the $40’s range.

pkaufman
05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
"Really good shape" is not descriptive enough. If they are MS65 or above, then they would be investment grade and keepers, otherwise trade bait since they are anything but rare.

frankbmd
05-18-2019, 02:17 PM
channeling the Lone Ranger

“Hi Ho Silver Away”

Paul S
05-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Nice 1st post.:eek:

Exhibitman
05-18-2019, 04:22 PM
I traded cards for silver in 2012. Not a great move, though not a loss either since the cards i traded for the coins were acquired at a very low cost.

Peter_Spaeth
05-18-2019, 04:29 PM
Unless I am missing something, and I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, we are not talking a lot of money here, so rather than thinking of this as an investment I would just decide which you like better and go with that. Nobody here can predict the future anyhow. I am sure there is a wide range of opinion, for example, where the silver market is headed, and half of them are going to be wrong.

barrysloate
05-18-2019, 05:18 PM
1921 Morgans are the most common date by far, and not popular with collectors. And silver has been trading at around $14-15 an ounce for a long time. Precious metals have been selling with just minor movement for years, even in a crisis. Something is clearly different although I can't explain what that is. I would cash in the dollars and buy some baseball cards. Shouldn't be much downside.

steve B
05-18-2019, 05:47 PM
1921 Morgans are the most common date by far, and not popular with collectors. And silver has been trading at around $14-15 an ounce for a long time. Precious metals have been selling with just minor movement for years, even in a crisis. Something is clearly different although I can't explain what that is. I would cash in the dollars and buy some baseball cards. Shouldn't be much downside.

That's the thing right there. It used to be that a crisis or governmental uncertainty drove people to metals. I haven't really tracked it, but I also haven't seen much news about it either. When I was into coins I paid attention, and I know Barry collects pretty seriously.

The advice to decide which you like better is sound, if you like the stuff, even if it goes to zero you at least still have something you like.

Exhibitman
05-18-2019, 11:51 PM
I got a silver coin in change today. Haven't had that happen in years. But I digress.

barrysloate
05-19-2019, 05:59 AM
I got a silver coin in change today. Haven't had that happen in years. But I digress.

A few months ago my wife found a buffalo nickel in her change. That was stunning, as I haven't seen them circulating for several decades.

ksfarmboy
05-19-2019, 06:08 AM
A few months ago my wife found a buffalo nickel in her change. That was stunning, as I haven't seen them circulating for several decades.

Barry, did you get my pm on that 1823 large cent? I had a question for you?

As to the original question, I traded some silver for a baseball photo and am
pleased I did. If baseball cards make you happy go for it.

barrysloate
05-19-2019, 02:42 PM
No Clint, I didn't. If you email me at bsloate@verizon.net I would be happy to help you.

Leon
05-23-2019, 09:01 AM

I received this in change a few weeks ago. Silver is making a comeback in our change!

Silver for cards, why not?

barrysloate
05-23-2019, 09:47 AM
That's a good one Leon. Most people don't know that wartime nickels were part silver.

Fuddjcal
05-23-2019, 09:56 AM
If you feel the need, go AHEAD!!!!!

I always say that when I buy something like cards, Im gonna use Gold, Silver or Cash???

Then when it comes right down to it, I don't want to spend my gold, silver or Cash. I like to Hoard it , I guess :o

Have you ever tried to pay for a 75K car in 100 bills? I though about it but in the end couldn't pull the trigger. Didn't mean I didn't buy the car though :D I really like Cars. They are not FAKE!

rgpete
05-23-2019, 02:21 PM
I received this in change a few weeks ago. Silver is making a comeback in our change!

Silver for cards, why not?

I got this Gold backed Fed Note in the 1980's when I cashed my check sorry for the off topic

vintagetoppsguy
05-23-2019, 02:26 PM
I have several 1921 Morgan Silver Dollars. These are not rare coins, but are in really good shape. I have been contemplating selling these coins and using the money to invest in T206 PSA Graded Cards. With the price of silver not moving up considerably, while the value of T206 PSA Graded Cards continue to rise with no end in sight, I am trying to decide what my best move will be.

Any one ever done this or have thoughts on this?

I think the key word is invest. If it's truly an investment, look at it from an investment point of view. Say you wanted to start a self-directed IRA. By IRS laws, you back that IRA with precious metals and/or coins. You can't do it with bb cards. There is a reason for that. Think about it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Unless I am missing something, and I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, we are not talking a lot of money here, so rather than thinking of this as an investment I would just decide which you like better and go with that. Nobody here can predict the future anyhow. I am sure there is a wide range of opinion, for example, where the silver market is headed, and half of them are going to be wrong.

Only if the opinions are evenly split :)

Brian Van Horn
05-23-2019, 02:55 PM
My two cents:

chalupacollects
05-23-2019, 04:16 PM
Why not get them graded so whoever you trade them with knows they are not altered or conserved???? Wait never mind....:p

Santo10Fan
05-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Any one ever done this or have thoughts on this?The numismatic hobby is fading away, IMO. There was a time when you could rifle through loose change and possibly flip to some serious money, like when 1916-D dimes were actually circulating. That's just not the case nowadays and, there isn't going to be much interest past the millenial generation IMO. If you're looking for an answer regarding volatility, that's easy. In-demand T206 HOFers have been on a steady upward climb recently. Silver is all over the place. My favorite coin I ever owned was a VG10 1916-D, but I sold it to buy cards. I often looked at that coin, and imagined the guy's face who found it in circulation. What a day that must have been. Sadly, those exact moments that built the numismatic hobby are history.