PDA

View Full Version : My Green Cobb and a question with probably no good answer

Scott L.
05-16-2019, 06:28 PM
I bought it on the board probably a decade ago or more. As I think you can tell from the albeit crappy picture the registration and color are really, really nice. The one issue with it is that a good bit of Cobb, Detroit is cut off the bottom. I’ve been wondering lately how much this would affect the value. I’m honestly just curious what people would shave off their bids if anything if it were up on say eBay (it won’t be). How much as a buyer would that turn you off? Would it be a deal breaker? For some I imagine it would. Thanks. Scott

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40899158723_a6e39b46f8_z_d.jpg

ullmandds
05-16-2019, 06:38 PM
Id say 30% deduction. It IS a beautiful card.

CMIZ5290
05-16-2019, 06:40 PM
Scott, bottomline, it's still a Green Cobb....

Peter_Spaeth
05-16-2019, 06:41 PM
Id say 30% deduction. It IS a beautiful card.

I was going to say 1/3 at least and possibly more compared to a similar non miscut card, but obviously as a Green Cobb with nice qualities it still has substantial value.

Sean
05-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Personally I wouldn't mind the miscut bottom, but I would bid less knowing that its sale value in the future would be less. I would probably only take off 20% or so, because it is a nice card otherwise.

pokerplyr80
05-16-2019, 07:39 PM
The other characteristics of the card seem nice for the grade, and the centering isn't bad despite the name being cut off top to bottom, and is almost 50/50 left to right. I would expect it to sell at about 100% of the average of other recent sales for 2s.

bounce
05-18-2019, 04:04 PM
i guess i'll take the other side of this.

the card does look nice, but if i'm just going to have one green cobb, i would not bid on this one. missing half the name would bother me, and i would also be concerned that it's actually short since there's no print at the top.

yes, i get it that SGC gave it a number; i'd still worry it was short, though.

if it was cheap enough i thought i could flip it, i'd bid. but i wouldn't bid to keep it.

i think 30% discount is probably a decent estimate; i would not bid that high but i also would have no real expectation of winning.

Sean
05-18-2019, 05:18 PM
missing half the name would bother me, and i would also be concerned that it's actually short since there's no print at the top.

I guess that there's no way to actually know this, but it could have been on the top row of the sheet when it was printed.

Leon
05-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Nah, not trimmed. Top border is huge. I would go with about a 20% value decrease due to the name issue. However, some might not care and it might get to close to 100% of a 2 because of the other nice attributes, as has been said.

i guess i'll take the other side of this.

the card does look nice, but if i'm just going to have one green cobb, i would not bid on this one. missing half the name would bother me, and i would also be concerned that it's actually short since there's no print at the top.

if it was cheap enough i thought i could flip it, i'd bid. but i wouldn't bid to keep it.

i think 30% discount is probably a decent estimate; i would not bid that high but i also would have no real expectation of winning.

AGuinness
05-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Since you’re keeping it, the best thing is you’ll get to 100 percent enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-18-2019, 07:09 PM
I think it should go for the 2 price. SGC takes the centering issues into account so I'm assuming this card looks like a 4 otherwise. I'd be thrilled at and average 2 price.