PDA

View Full Version : T207 Set Progress

wondo
05-16-2019, 08:19 AM
I've been working on a T207 set for the past few months and have picked up a bunch (some thanks to Net54 members). I'm onsite, but when I get home I'll post some of my favs. One of the things I've noticed about the set is that lower grade examples are as pleasing to me as high grade ones. Kinda weird since I'm usually a condition first freak. I've got miscuts, marked, poor examples that are cool.

Right now I'm at 77/206 on the set with a couple of the toughies included. I have a bunch raw in for grading. Stand by for scans and ......I think the set needs a nickname. I'm open to suggestions.

BTW, I don't do enough posting on the board.............with all the craziness about the negative aspects of our hobby posted ad nauseum, I'm gonna make a concerted effort to contribute. The exposure of fraud is important, I'm just not happy that it seems to be consuming the board. That is all.

wondo
05-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Here's one - love it! Please post your favorites!

tonyo
05-16-2019, 09:46 AM
I'm a big fan of the set.

at first I wasn't keen on the portraits, but have grown to like a lot of them as well.

my first subset attempt was recruit "bat, belt, glove showing" seems like I got within a McKechnie of finishing that. By then I had decided I also liked a lot of the portraits and also read either an article or a post by I think Tim N which suggested that the recruits may have been issued in 2 series, with the 2nd series being a bit tougher.

So, I shifted to a recruit 2nd series subset which included a few portraits. Didn't get as close on that one when life got in the way and I had to stop my pursuit.

Never picked up any broadleafs due to the cost, but I do enjoy most of the the cards in the set (there are definitely some duds though) .

The Speaker is one of my favorite pre-war cards. I believe this one came from Mac of OBC fame.

I typing all this from memory so excuse me if some of the facts or names are off.

garymc
05-16-2019, 10:07 AM
I collect only NY Americans. My Chester Hoff back run.......

Cozumeleno
05-16-2019, 10:15 AM
It's a great set by my standards. Doc White is one of my favorite pics.

wondo
05-16-2019, 05:31 PM
These came in today's mail!

wondo
05-16-2019, 05:45 PM
And these - up to 82 / 206!

wondo
05-16-2019, 06:17 PM
I'm a big fan of the set.

at first I wasn't keen on the portraits, but have grown to like a lot of them as well.

my first subset attempt was recruit "bat, belt, glove showing" seems like I got within a McKechnie of finishing that. By then I had decided I also liked a lot of the portraits and also read either an article or a post by I think Tim N which suggested that the recruits may have been issued in 2 series, with the 2nd series being a bit tougher.

So, I shifted to a recruit 2nd series subset which included a few portraits. Didn't get as close on that one when life got in the way and I had to stop my pursuit.

Never picked up any broadleafs due to the cost, but I do enjoy most of the the cards in the set (there are definitely some duds though) .

The Speaker is one of my favorite pre-war cards. I believe this one came from Mac of OBC fame.

I typing all this from memory so excuse me if some of the facts or names are off.

Thank you for the backgroud info. I dont believe I've ever seen a Speaker in person - tough, tough card. On the hunt!!!!

buymycards
05-16-2019, 08:03 PM
I only have one T207, which is a type card for my Louisiana collection. It is one of my favorites.

Rick

Vintagecatcher
05-16-2019, 08:05 PM
I still pick up any nice T207 catchers that become available, but I'm still waiting for the right Irving Lewis T207 to become available.

He's the last catcher I need in the set.

Patrick

Leon
05-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Thanks for posting a positive thread. I wish more members would do the same. One can hope.,
Love that pose. I never really collected T207 except as back types. Here those are from my previous collection.

Here's one - love it! Please post your favorites!

http://luckeycards.com/pt207groupof8.jpg

frohme
05-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Never have enough of these threads - thanks for starting, John (and I completely echo the positivity sentiment, Leon!)

Great progress so far, and so quickly! Couple of the tougher group of Recruits in those you've shown. T207 is very doable in grades around 40/3, and you'll find lots of cards with great eye appeal that are very affordable... but finishing will take patience ... maybe lots... think Job.:):)

Hard to pick a favorite to show, so I'll go with one of my first (from 1991)

hcv123
05-18-2019, 08:08 PM
Interesting story - I'm working on Pittsburgh Pirates team sets with my kids -1952-1973 Topps, 1948-1955 Bowman, T205, T3, T206 (no Wagner), 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jack and 1933 Goudey. At least that's where we started. So I'm emailing back and forth with a board member about some T206's and he mentions T207. I don't recall even hearing about them before - I check them out - initially I am not liking their "lack of color" - then I spend some more time looking and find myself drawn to them in some strange way - so we have added T207 Pirates to the list - I think we have 1-2 so far - sorry no scans readily available - also was the under bidder on a Signed Max Carey - REALLY wanted that one for the collection, but it got just out of my price range :(

wondo
05-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Coutesy of a fellow Net54 member. Thanks!!! Should arrive tomorrow - stoked!!

iowadoc77
05-19-2019, 05:00 PM
John,
You are making really great progress. Very exciting to see your number grow!

CobbSpikedMe
05-19-2019, 06:07 PM
John,

I don't know a lot about T207 but I know those are three nice pick ups. Thanks for sharing your progress so far.

wondo
05-19-2019, 07:26 PM
John,
You are making really great progress. Very exciting to see your number grow!

Eric,
Thank you! I’ve been fortunate to pick up a few groups of lower grade cards that included a few toughies and it kick started me. The groups are averaging maybe $30/card - so it isn’t breaking the bank. I have 50+ in for grading. When those get back I’ll have about 120 different, but that’s when the set starts to get tough. The Wood and Saier pictured above are dupes (don’t know which I’ll be keeping) but my plan is to use cards like those as trade bait. We shall see. I’ll keep posting as they come in! Thanks, everyone, for the compliments and the words of encouragement.

John

wondo
05-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Grabbed two more last night! My strategy of only looking at PSA graded cards and not raw or SGC has failed horribly. The idea was by looking only at PSA cards, my opportunity to purchase would be reduced, thus saving by budget. In theory it works, but I am oh so weak. Both cards look to be vg to vg/ex.

Earl Moore - Broadleaf
Eugene Woodburn - Anonymous #25 (tough back)

Side note: not many (a few) folks care about the reverse. I like Cycle backs although they aren't that difficult. A fairly comprehensive study and discussion was done by one of our own. Its fascinating stuff!

wondo
05-25-2019, 05:26 PM
I got to 100 different with the delivery of this Bender today!!! I have about twelve more in for grading. The goal is to do the set for under $20k. Not sure if that’s possible, but I have a number of downgrades - Wood PSA4, Weaver Cycle Sgc50, etc. we will see. Meanwhile I’m just pumped to be halfway!!

wondo
05-31-2019, 07:27 AM
So...............I've broken the 100 different mark with a couple of Ebay pickups. I am in the middle of a trade that will add a few more (get me to 105). Here's the "Playing with my cards" pic!!

Steve D
05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
Congratulations John, on reaching the half-way point on the set. That is a notable achievement!

I've always been a fan of the set, and have all the HOFers, along with Jake Daubert, Hank Gowdy, Hippo Vaughn and Joe Wood. I've often thought of collecting the set, but have let all the tough cards scare me off.

I might just give the set a try, once I finish my T205 basic set; I'm only ten cards short on it.

Steve

wondo
05-31-2019, 04:53 PM
Congratulations John, on reaching the half-way point on the set. That is a notable achievement!

I've always been a fan of the set, and have all the HOFers, along with Jake Daubert, Hank Gowdy, Hippo Vaughn and Joe Wood. I've often thought of collecting the set, but have let all the tough cards scare me off.

I might just give the set a try, once I finish my T205 basic set; I'm only ten cards short on it.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. Although its been only a short while, I've enjoyed the hunt. The tough cards will make it more fun (although check back with me in a year or so).

Leon
06-01-2019, 06:49 AM
Some of the toughies are really tough. Good luck going forward.

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. Although its been only a short while, I've enjoyed the hunt. The tough cards will make it more fun (although check back with me in a year or so).

wondo
06-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Came home this week to a package from a trade with a fellow board member. Two downgrades and four new cards bringing the total to 105/206!!! Love the socks on Mr. Scott.

wondo
06-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Down to 104/206 if I count only PSA graded cards in hand. I traded my Saier off as I have one into PSA.

I'm trying to get this set done under $20k - not sure if that's possible, but I continue to downgrade. I buy better cards with the strategy of getting more bulk for nicer cards. I've met a couple of willing traders and it makes both parties happy with the cards in hand as a result. It's weird, lower graded cards in this series don't bother me and I'm usually a condition freak.

Do other folks trade in this era of higher priced cards? How many of you pursue complete sets? I see a lot of threads on T206 and an occasional T205, but not much else. Let me know!!!

dabbuu
06-12-2019, 05:00 PM
I am currently trying to complete the set, it is very tough and underrated. I have traded with multiple members here.

wondo
07-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Learned the hard way a few times that when a really tough card comes along, if you don't jump, you may not have the opportunity again for several years or even a decade. So......……….i grabbed this today. Pumped!!

Leon
07-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Learned the hard way a few times that when a really tough card comes along, if you don't jump, you may not have the opportunity again for several years or even a decade. So......……….

Nice card, John. Congrats.
And even moreso, if you see the emblem variation, grab it quickly.

PolarBear
07-03-2019, 12:55 PM
I always liked this set and owned a couple at one time. Many of the portraits have a haunting quality to them.

wondo
07-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Nice card, John. Congrats.
And even moreso, if you see the emblem variation, grab it quickly.

Leon,

707 has one, but I’m hoping to grab something a little nicer. It’s priced aggressively, but not egregious. The “no emblem” is much tougher.

CobbSpikedMe
07-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Great pick up John! Congrats.

Steve D
07-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Great pick up John! Congrats.

+1
Steve

Vintagecatcher
07-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Congrats John!

Tough card!

I'll be happy when I can finish off my run with Mr. Lewis!

Patrick

dabbuu
07-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Amazing pickup

wondo
07-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Everyone, tHanks for the kind words on the Lewis. I still have a ton to go, but I do have 25-30 at PSA for entombing and then I’ll be at 135-140. Always looking for trading partners or straight buys.

Isaac, I’m still waiting on PSA for grading on our prospective deals. Weaver stayed a SGC 4. Lemme know what you are up to.

How many complete T207 sets are out there? I know of a couple of board members with them. My guess is ten or less. Chime in!!!

wondo
07-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Added two tough low grade beauties! I wish all my cards looked this good.

timn1
07-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Hi John,
Congrats on the Lewis! That really is tough.

I have a set that I consider complete without the "no emblem" Lewis. One of him was enough for me. :)

Everyone, tHanks for the kind words on the Lewis. I still have a ton to go, but I do have 25-30 at PSA for entombing and then I’ll be at 135-140. Always looking for trading partners or straight buys.

Isaac, I’m still waiting on PSA for grading on our prospective deals. Weaver stayed a SGC 4. Lemme know what you are up to.

How many complete T207 sets are out there? I know of a couple of board members with them. My guess is ten or less. Chime in!!!

frohme
07-09-2019, 03:44 PM
I have a set that I consider complete without the "no emblem" Lewis.

+1 - I think most feel the same

Great progress John!

puckpaul
07-09-2019, 06:57 PM
I have a complete set most if which was purchased as part of a large prewar collection about 20 years ago. I have filled in a few variations that were missing. Love the set, great fun.

wondo
07-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Switched tombs! I have a bunch in for slabbing yet - the wait drives me crazy. at 120/206.

Cozumeleno
07-24-2019, 10:54 AM

I'd love to know the answer to that myself. I am nearly there at 195/200 for the basic set. I'm sure there are more than ten of those and I know of at least a few people with one. But the full set with all variations? I'd probably say less than that but that's nothing more than a guess.

It's just tough to get a handle on it, obviously. There are so many collectors off the grid in terms of not keeping an online profile. Plus a lot of old collections out there, too.

kmac32
07-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Cooperstown VFW show

Leon
07-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Nice. I have heard the w/emblem version is actually the tougher of the two.

Switched tombs! I have a bunch in for slabbing yet - the wait drives me crazy. at 120/206.

frohme
07-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Nice. I have heard the w/emblem version is actually the tougher of the two.

Sorry, Leon - not even close. Your former business partner has weighed in similarly on this point a couple of times over the recent past - no-emblem is harder (by ~far) than the with-emblem variety. Seems like even low-grade ones command north of five figures when they show up. I do not have hard evidence for this... again my memory has been getting faulty.

Can't say that I understand it, as I'm one of the minority that thinks that Livingston is the only true variation - the others were just printing errors. I'm not laying out that kind of change for one ... I'll call it done without, and be satisfied.

--
Mike

wondo
07-28-2019, 06:23 PM
Sorry, Leon - not even close. Your former business partner has weighed in similarly on this point a couple of times over the recent past - no-emblem is harder (by ~far) than the with-emblem variety. Seems like even low-grade ones command north of five figures when they show up. I do not have hard evidence for this... again my memory has been getting faulty.

Can't say that I understand it, as I'm one of the minority that thinks that Livingston is the only true variation - the others were just printing errors. I'm not laying out that kind of change for one ... I'll call it done without, and be satisfied.

--
Mike

Mike,

I hear what you are saying about the potential printing error, but in examining the two Irving cards, the removal or non-printing of the emblem seems, to me , deliberate. Even the "BOSTON" appears slightly different on the two cards.

Steve D
07-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Mike,

I hear what you are saying about the potential printing error, but in examining the two Irving cards, the removal or non-printing of the emblem seems, to me , deliberate. Even the "BOSTON" appears slightly different on the two cards.

I agree with you on the "BOSTON" appearing slightly different.

I'm looking at the "T", and on the "with emblem" card, the crossbar on the T appears to be at a right-angle to the upright; whereas, on the "no emblem" card, the crossbar appears to be slightly higher on the left, and go at a downward angle to the right.

Of course, that could be because that particular "no emblem" card also appears to have richer and bolder colors than that "with emblem" card.

Steve

frohme
08-01-2019, 10:48 PM
I agree with you on the "BOSTON" appearing slightly different.

I'm looking at the "T", and on the "with emblem" card, the crossbar on the T appears to be at a right-angle to the upright; whereas, on the "no emblem" card, the crossbar appears to be slightly higher on the left, and go at a downward angle to the right.

Of course, that could be because that particular "no emblem" card also appears to have richer and bolder colors than that "with emblem" card.

Steve

Agreed, Steve. John - your no-emblem has bolder color than most I've seen - which isn't many - a larger sample size would clarify for me one way or the other.

--
Mike

wondo
08-24-2019, 07:02 AM
From a fellow board member - tough Recruit Clyde Engle. Progress has slowed as of late. I have 60+ at PSA and picked up one or two raw (coming at you Bobby!) Up to 122 in the set!

sb1
08-24-2019, 08:21 AM
John,

I will have a large number of singles(and a couple of lots) in my upcoming Sept/Oct auction. Hopefully some will help.

Scott

wondo
08-24-2019, 07:29 PM
John,

I will have a large number of singles(and a couple of lots) in my upcoming Sept/Oct auction. Hopefully some will help.

Scott

Scott,
Looking forward to it. Feel free to send a list to me when appropriate. Thanks!

John

wondo
08-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Cards have been graded. I'll probably get them end of next week. This will add 14 to my set, bringing me to 136/206, and giving me some trade / sale bait. Some toughies in there.

Description Grade
T207 Beals Becker EXCELLENT 5
T207 Robert M. Byrne GOOD 2
T207 John James Callahan VERY GOOD+ 3.5
T207 Tex Covington VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
T207 Joshua Devore VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
T207 Lawrence Doyle EXCELLENT 5
T207 John Ferry FAIR 1.5
T207 Ray Fisher (Blue Cap) VERY GOOD 3
T207 Del Gainor EXCELLENT 5
T207 Roy Golden VERY GOOD 3
T207 George Graham GOOD 2
T207 J.G. Graney VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5
T207 Charles Herzog EXCELLENT+ 5.5
T207 William Hogan VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 MK
T207 George Kaler VERY GOOD 3
T207 Elmer Knetzer GOOD 2
T207 Jack Lapp GOOD 2
T207 W. Arlington Latham GOOD 2
T207 Albert Leifield VERY GOOD 3
T207 Paddy Livingston ("A" On Shirt) GOOD 2
T207 George McBride VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
T207 Alexander McCarthy VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
T207 Matthew McIntyre VERY GOOD 3
T207 Clyde Milan GOOD 2
T207 George Mullin (No "D" On Cap) VERY GOOD 3
T207 Ivan Olson GOOD+ 2.5
T207 Jack Quinn VERY GOOD 3
T207 Victor Saier GOOD 2
T207 Wallace Smith (St.Louis) GOOD 2
T207 Charles Street VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
T207 Bert Tooley FAIR 1.5
T207 Ed (Dixie) Walker VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
T207 George Wiltse VERY GOOD 3
T207 Harry Wolverton VERY GOOD+ 3.5

iowadoc77
08-31-2019, 06:02 AM
Great progress John! Quite the project

wondo
09-02-2019, 06:04 PM
Great progress John! Quite the project

Eric,

Thanks!!! Here are a few more that I just closed on a deal with a fellow board member. Very excited!!

familytoad
09-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Has anyone considered a Monster or Kraken type calculation for this T207 set?
The tough ones are, well...tough!

And similar to the E90-1 American Caramels, when you get to half/three quarters of the set in quantity, it’s just getting started on the hard part!

The keeper of this calculator will likely need to title his own description, since the previous monikers are in fierce trademark discussions as we read...

I’m too far from the median, forget expert , knowledge on this set so I am no candidate for the role.

Anyone game for the game?

wondo
09-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Has anyone considered a Monster or Kraken type calculation for this T207 set?
The tough ones are, well...tough!

And similar to the E90-1 American Caramels, when you get to half/three quarters of the set in quantity, it’s just getting started on the hard part!

The keeper of this calculator will likely need to title his own description, since the previous monikers are in fierce trademark discussions as we read...

I’m too far from the median, forget expert , knowledge on this set so I am no candidate for the role.

Anyone game for the game?

I’m only qualified to suggest a name. I’m just learning about the set, it’s nuances, rarities and misconceptions. Very layered; very intricate. I’ve “met” several collectors who really know their stuff on this guy. Trying to soak it in

Suggestions for the name: The Scorpion, Brown Bastard, The Nemesis, Lewis’s Folly. What else?

wondo
09-20-2019, 07:20 AM
Here is from this week's mail call. Some real toughies.

KMayUSA6060
09-20-2019, 11:02 AM
The Hartley & Hooper! :eek:

Beautiful!

brianp-beme
09-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Great set, and incredible progress on the set in such a relatively short period of time. 3/4 of the set down, now just the incredibly tough ones to go! I intentionally only went after the easier or mildly difficult ones, so I have no clue how hard the rest are, just know they are tough.

A Monster/Kraken thread like Brian mentioned would be perfect for this set. It would not get too many participating (The Brown Bastard is a very appropriate name for this set, both because of all the rarities and the disdain that many collectors have for the set...hey, I like it!), but it would be interesting to get the T207 diehards to help compile a rating for the cards similar to the E90-1 Kraken. I know I got plenty of help refining the Kraken ratings from a lot of knowledgeable folk here.

You would have to find some slightly off-kilter individual, someone along the lines of myself or Frank to be the caretaker. They wouldn't necessarily need to be the most knowledgeable, just enthusiastic about the set and a dedicated vintage collector for life. The Brown Bastard deserves all the love it can get.

Brian (courtesy example of Brown Bastard Henry included free of charge)

Bridwell
09-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Congrats, John. You've got a nice looking set going there!

wondo
09-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Congrats, John. You've got a nice looking set going there!

Ron,
You da man! Thank you for the opportunity!!

John

Leon
09-22-2019, 08:04 AM
Some real toughies we rarely see for sale. Congrats.

Here is from this week's mail call. Some real toughies.

wondo
11-06-2019, 02:01 PM
I've been not so patiently waiting and finally my grades are in on 50 T207s. Most are lower grade which fits right into my set. Several board members contributed to this hoard. I'll have them in hand next week and post pictures - gotta figure out where this puts me. I'm guessing this adds 20+ to my set. VERY EXCITED!!!!

GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Jack Barry
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Jack Barry
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Jack Barry
FAIR 1.5 MK 1912 T207 Brown Background Beals Becker
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Otis Crandall
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Howard Camnitz
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Robert Coulson
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background John Daubert
GOOD+ 2.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Ted Easterly
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Louis Evans
GOOD+ 2.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Arthur Fletcher
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background E.S. Hallinan
GOOD 2 MC 1912 T207 Brown Background Charlie Hall
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Charlie Hall
VERY GOOD+ 3.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Robert Harmon
VERY GOOD 3 1912 T207 Brown Background Olaf Henriksen
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Olaf Henriksen
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background George Kaler
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background John Kling
VERY GOOD 3 1912 T207 Brown Background Otto Knabe
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Edward Konetchy
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Harry Krause
VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 MC 1912 T207 Brown Background Joseph Kutina
POOR 1 MK 1912 T207 Brown Background Briscoe Lord (Philadelphia)
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Harry Lord (Chicago)
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background Larry McLean
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Harry McIntire
FAIR 1.5 MK 1912 T207 Brown Background Clyde Milan
GOOD+ 2.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Thomas Needham
VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1912 T207 Brown Background Earl Moore
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background George Mullin ("D" On Cap)
GOOD 2 MC 1912 T207 Brown Background George Paskart (Paskert)
GOOD+ 2.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Arthur Rasmussen
GOOD 2 MC 1912 T207 Brown Background Edward Reulbach
AA: AUTHENTIC ALTERED 1912 T207 Brown Background Germany Schaefer
VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 MC 1912 T207 Brown Background Fred Snodgrass
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Tris Speaker
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Oscar Stanage
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Chas. (Heinie) Wagner
AA: AUTHENTIC ALTERED 1912 T207 Brown Background Robert Wallace
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background John Warhop
VERY GOOD 3 1912 T207 Brown Background Eugene Woodburn
POOR 1 1912 T207 Brown Background Roger Bresnahan
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Robert M. Byrne
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background George Chalmers
GOOD+ 2.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Paddy Livingston (Large "C" On Shirt)
AA: AUTHENTIC ALTERED 1912 T207 Brown Background Hamilton Hyatt
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background F.H. (Bill) Lange
EXCELLENT 5 1912 T207 Brown Background Barney Pelty
GOOD 2 1912 T207 Brown Background "Red" Kuhn
FAIR 1.5 1912 T207 Brown Background Don Carlos Ragan

dabbuu
11-07-2019, 06:50 AM
Very impressive, you are almost there.

buymycards
11-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Hi John, thank you for the updates. I enjoy watching your journey and I am amazed at how quickly you have assembled a good portion of the set.

Rick

wondo
11-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Hi John, thank you for the updates. I enjoy watching your journey and I am amazed at how quickly you have assembled a good portion of the set.

Rick

Thank you, Rick.

I know Net54 isn't big on "Looky what I got" threads, but I feel it refreshing as I look at the first 10-20 threads on the board. Wish I could see some other's sets and their progress towards completing those sets. I'll post pics when I get the cards in hand.

wondo
11-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Some new pics. I'm up to 180 of 206 with another 20 at PSA. Chippin' away!!!

ValKehl
11-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Way to go, John! You are "chippin' away" mighty fast. Once you complete the basic T207 set, surely you'll take on the tougher challenge - i.e., completing a master T207 set. :)

wondo
11-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Way to go, John! You are "chippin' away" mighty fast. Once you complete the basic T207 set, surely you'll take on the tougher challenge - i.e., completing a master T207 set. :)

No way, Val!!! I can't imagine getting a full back run - the Anon 3s are ridiculously tough as well as the Napoleons. I'll be content with just one of each if I ever get there. I have a number of toughies to go.

Tom Hufford
11-11-2019, 07:49 PM
I always loved this set, and watched it from afar for many years, before finally going after it. I finished the complete set in 3-4 years, not easy, but worth the effort.

One of my favorite cards - easy. Beals Becker. He just looks so lonely and forlorn, like he's sitting there thinking "Will I ever get a chance to play?"

I had the privilege of meeting four of the T207 players in person - Larry Gardner, Harry Hooper, Rube Marquard, and Zach Wheat. That means I'm getting old!

Leon
11-12-2019, 06:29 AM
We are all getting old, Tom. It just happens.

And way to keep chiseling away at it, John. Good luck in the quest.

I always loved this set, and watched it from afar for many years, before finally going after it. I finished the complete set in 3-4 years, not easy, but worth the effort.

One of my favorite cards - easy. Beals Becker. He just looks so lonely and forlorn, like he's sitting there thinking "Will I ever get a chance to play?"

I had the privilege of meeting four of the T207 players in person - Larry Gardner, Harry Hooper, Rube Marquard, and Zach Wheat. That means I'm getting old!

wondo
11-17-2019, 02:26 PM
180 different T207s!!!

CobbSpikedMe
11-17-2019, 05:28 PM
Awesome pic there John!

Jcfowler6
11-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Nice run going there. I’ve always loved the look of my brown backs.

Here are my favorites:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/e0bd8c4c2314edaa2e3db8c2a2b2dd5b.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/01b87311fbc0a29ed9e0dff0ca7a0c4b.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/9648328f841d478cab40908853a078e9.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/eed57672592e325acecc8af2eb7596b4.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/b662c6ae76e4f6ec69e4b5a6ec11bc79.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wondo
11-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Nice Pirates!!

Jcfowler6
11-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Nice Pirates!!

Thanks much. That’s my collecting focus primarily hall of fame Pirates and the 1909 team.

I really enjoy this set and you’ve done a great job putting together some nice cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wondo
11-27-2019, 08:09 AM
Mail Call!!

T206Collector
11-27-2019, 06:09 PM
was the under bidder on a Signed Max Carey - REALLY wanted that one for the collection, but it got just out of my price range :(

Tell me about it! I checked out, too. But it’s a gorgeous card. Wish I had it as well. Anyone know who picked it up?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49135031646_76251b4415_b.jpg

The only signed T207 I own is, of course, Marquard. You’d think there would be a Larry Doyle lurking somewhere... and you’d be RIGHT! From Mike Keasler’s mail-order auction in the June 1979 Trader Speaks. If anyone has ever seen this card, or any other signed T207s, please let me know! Other likely signed subjects include Harry Hooper, Paddy Livingston, Fred Snodgrass, Zack Wheat, and “Smokey” Joe Wood.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4174/34523246262_751e0f6dfe_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49135229602_7122ef2b7f_b.jpg

wondo
11-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Picked up this toughie - need less than 20!

wondo
12-03-2019, 05:28 PM
A few more just popped at PSA

GOOD 2 Rafael Almeida
POOR 1 Neal Ball
FAIR 1.5 Eros Barger
VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 Fred Blanding
VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 MC Hugh Bradley
POOR 1 Thomas W. Leach
GOOD 2 Duffy Lewis
FAIR 1.5 MC Harry McIntire
POOR 1 William McKechnie
POOR 1 Mike Mitchell (Cleveland, Picture Is Willie Mitchell)
POOR 1 O.C. Peters
VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 MC Wilbur Schardt
POOR 1 Harry Lee Spratt
VERY GOOD+ 3.5 Stanley Yerkes

This will bring me to under 10 needed - woot!

vthobby
12-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Love seeing your progress and glad knowing I helped you on a few in the past year, Would love to help you with the last 10......good luck!

Peace,
mike

wondo
12-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Mail call yesterday brought a Napolean back - my only one.