PDA

View Full Version : 1952 mantle probstein

sflayank
05-11-2019, 06:26 AM
PSA 5 and of course he says its nicer
How about the fact that Mickey is missing paper on his neck?.....what is PSA doing

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 06:48 AM
pic

ullmandds
05-11-2019, 06:50 AM
SHOCKING!!!!:p

vintagetoppsguy
05-11-2019, 06:56 AM
what is PSA doing

Making fools of collectors.

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Is there any chance that spot is somehow not on the card, I mean the asset?

ullmandds
05-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Is there any chance that spot is somehow not on the card, I mean the asset?

Good recovery!

Cliff Bowman
05-11-2019, 07:45 AM
It looks to me to be a print defect where something obstructed the print roller rather than paper loss. ETA, if it was paper loss it would be the gray cardboard stock color rather than white.

swarmee
05-11-2019, 07:48 AM
*removed after clarification by owner*

ALR-bishop
05-11-2019, 08:04 AM
White mole variation. Pretty scarce

MattyC
05-11-2019, 09:09 AM
PSA 5 and of course he says its nicer
How about the fact that Mickey is missing paper on his neck?.....what is PSA doing

Wow, here is a prime example of internet knee-jerk histrionics being passed off as fact, and in the process besmirching someone's card. Happened the other day here as well, in another thread.

I personally know the owner of this card, who discussed it with me. He sent it to PSA for review, asking specifically about the spot in question, and whether or not it was paper loss. PSA explicitly told him it was not paper loss. So the assertion in the opening post is simply not "fact," and to try and state opinion as fact in this case is just unfairly detrimental.

seablaster
05-11-2019, 09:13 AM
He sent it to PSA for review, asking specifically about the spot in question, and whether or not it was paper loss. PSA explicitly told him it was not paper loss.

What did they tell him it was?

MattyC
05-11-2019, 09:18 AM
I'll ping him and ask him; I was just worried for him about the paper loss issue and once he said it was good, I had to take another call before we could further our conversation. Off to grab a coffee and coach some little league now. :)

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 09:27 AM
You would think the seller could explain that in the listing.

Republicaninmass
05-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Looks like something stuck on to it.

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Wow, here is a prime example of internet knee-jerk histrionics being passed off as fact, and in the process besmirching someone's card. Happened the other day here as well, in another thread.

I personally know the owner of this card, who discussed it with me. He sent it to PSA for review, asking specifically about the spot in question, and whether or not it was paper loss. PSA explicitly told him it was not paper loss. So the assertion in the opening post is simply not "fact," and to try and state opinion as fact in this case is just unfairly detrimental.

Matt must have an app that alerts him instantly to any comment anywhere online about a 52 Mantle.:D

Sean1125
05-11-2019, 09:43 AM
Larry, Peter, John, and others--

There are many posts in this thread that are incorrect. Ted is 100% correct.

I am the owner of this 1952 Mickey Mantle.

This card was sold to me within a complete set of '52 Topps cards. When the owner sent the original scan it was in an extremely old PSA holder and he was completely up front that there was something on the card-- he had communicated with Joe Orlando at the time who said it was extra paper stuck to the card, but that decade ago PSA still agreed with the issued grade.

I shared many of the concerns that were in this thread, resulting in me contacting the CEO of CU, Joe Orlando, and President of PSA, Steve Sloan, to have the card reviewed for accuracy. They reviewed the card and disclosed that this is, in fact, extra paper and they agree with the original assessment of the card. At this point, they reholdered the card in the newest light house label and I sent it in to Probstein123 to sell.

I have personally held this card in my hand and spent time scrutinizing the card, the centering, the corners, the registration, and the extra paper on the card. The card is beautifully centered, strong for a 5, and I do hope it sells for a slight premium above other 5's due to its attractive attributes.

I really appreciate all of the community involvement in policing cards, auctions, and grades. I know this behavior comes from a place of love, appreciation, and devotion for the hobby.

That being said, I do not condone the false accusations of paper loss, an inaccurate grade, or any other comments or erroneous 'facts' that are being posted on this thread. These opinions have overstepped a line and crossed to inappropriate, false statements that may damage the sale of my item. I will only ask once that they cease immediately.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 09:47 AM

This card was sold to me within a complete set of '52 Topps cards. When the owner sent the original scan it was in an extremely old PSA holder and he was completely up front that there was something on the card-- he had communicated with Joe Orlando at the time who said it was extra paper stuck to the card, but that decade ago PSA still agreed with the issued grade.

I shared many of the concerns that were in this thread, resulting in me contacting the CEO of CU, Joe Orlando, and President of PSA, Steve Sloan, to have the card reviewed for accuracy. They reviewed the card and disclosed that this is, in fact, extra paper and they agree with the original assessment of the card. At this point, they reholdered the card in the newest light house label and I sent it in to Probstein123 to sell.

I have personally held this card in my hand and spent time scrutinizing the card, the centering, the corners, the registration, and the extra paper on the card. The card is beautifully centered, strong for a 5, and I do hope it sells for a slight premium above other 5's due to its attractive attributes.

I really appreciate all of the community involvement in policing cards, auctions, and grades. I know this behavior comes from a place of love, appreciation, and devotion for the hobby.

That being said, I do not condone the false accusations of paper loss, an inaccurate grade, or any other comments or erroneous 'facts' that are being posted on this thread. These opinions have overstepped a line and crossed to inappropriate, false statements that may damage the sale of my item. I will only ask once that they cease immediately.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Sean -- I would respectfully suggest the auction description explain the spot?

Sean1125
05-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Peter,

That's a great idea. I will reach out and have that done.

sflayank
05-11-2019, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry but there is no way on this planet that a card either missing paper or having paper stuck to it can possibly grade 5......I'm still willing to bet its paper missing...but either way I would demand PSA refund my money..that's a joke if PSA says it's a 5 with paper stuck on it...is it stuck on with glue...or is it magic paper

bobbyw8469
05-11-2019, 10:24 AM
We have ALL at one time or another, been the benefactor of "gift" grades. Sean admits the card was in a super old holder, that was a time when the grading might not have been so stringent. If I had owned this card today, and sent it in for grading, would I have received a '5'? Probably not. But the onus is on PSA to stand by their grading, not Sean, who is doing nothing no different than any other seller here would do.

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 10:27 AM
The color of the spot looks similar to his uniform, if that is relevant.

vintagetoppsguy
05-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Paper loss, extra paper or whatever, this card is still over graded. At the very minimum, this card should have a PD qualifier. Of course PSA is not going to admit fault. Does anybody seriously believe they're going to stroke a check for $20K for some incompetent grader?

Edited to add: I've seen cards with extra paper before, so I know it happens. But the ink still applies over the extra paper as the sheet passes through, so that in the end it appears as a bubble on the surface. How did the "extra paper" miss the ink pass? I'm calling BS on this.

nolemmings
05-11-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry but there is no way on this planet that a card either missing paper or having paper stuck to it can possibly grade 5......

Agree. Frankly the white spot jumps out and is distracting as heck. Makes you wonder--if I had pulled that card back in the day and it truly was added paper, I would have rubbed or flicked or toyed with it in effort to get it off, probably thereby scratching the card or otherwise making it worse.

Hxcmilkshake
05-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Yes, you need to update the description AND, its overgraded due to that spot,whatever it is. Glws but you are hoping someone is buying the grade not the card, most likely not someone on these boards so these comments arent affecting your sale.

Stan Golen

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nolemmings
05-11-2019, 11:04 AM
For the record, I have no problem with Sean making as much money as he can on that Mantle, and although an updated description would be nice, that card's condition is so readily apparent that a buyer knows what he's getting. It's PSA that should be embarrassed, but PSA basically has no shame.

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 11:06 AM
We may get more comments on an original unaltered card where the owner has now candidly discussed the clearly visible issues than on an altered card where the seller willfully refused to disclose the nonobvious alteration and invented some utter BS to justify it.

vintagetoppsguy
05-11-2019, 11:10 AM
For the record, I have no problem with Sean making as much money as he can on that Mantle, and although an updated description would be nice, that card's condition is so readily apparent that a buyer knows what he's getting. It's PSA that should be embarrassed, but PSA basically has no shame.

Agreed. Sean was just the buyer of the collection. He even sent it back to PSA for reevaluation. He went above and beyond IMO. Most sellers wouldn't do that.

sflayank
05-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Yes.seller make whatever you can
And yes buyer beware
That being said
Upon further inspection there is also paper missing to the left of the yankee logo
And there is writing on the back bottom left corner
If this is PSA they should be embarassed

Peter_Spaeth
05-11-2019, 11:17 AM
To me that looks like a tiny print mark not writing.

Jdoggs
05-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Is card still available?
I don't see it on eBay.

oldjudge
05-11-2019, 11:46 AM
It seems to me that "extra paper" needs to be penalized as much as paper loss since if it wasn't you could glue paper over paper loss and improve the card's grade.

buymycards
05-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Is card still available?
I don't see it on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-311-Mickey-Mantle-Yankees-RC-HOF-HIGH-PSA-5-FANTASTIC-CENTERING/362645495086?hash=item546f5b1d2e:g:5jgAAOSwTwtcpg0 8

1880nonsports
05-11-2019, 02:49 PM
in terms of grading - both are serious and should be treated in the same manner. Not regrading the card with a contemporary view of the imperfection seems self-serving for psa. I don't know Sean but appreciate his position and diligence. Personally I find it quite distracting while others may not.

CMIZ5290
05-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Good recovery!

clydepepper
05-11-2019, 06:13 PM
probstein is still dead to me

ullmandds
05-11-2019, 07:42 PM

Excuse me?

whitehse
05-11-2019, 08:03 PM
I guess I don't need a description to tell me that I see what looks to be paper loss (In my own opinion of course) on the front of the card and I would bid accordingly. I just feel the card is over graded because of the perceived paper loss and would move on to find a better example to spend my money on.

This is another classic example of buy the card not the holder but then again you wont see me spending 25K or more on a card unless I win the lottery or a rich uncle leaves me his fortune and I know of no such uncle so this ain't happening.

Good luck on the sale Sean.

1952boyntoncollector
05-12-2019, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry but there is no way on this planet that a card either missing paper or having paper stuck to it can possibly grade 5......I'm still willing to bet its paper missing...but either way I would demand PSA refund my money..that's a joke if PSA says it's a 5 with paper stuck on it...is it stuck on with glue...or is it magic paper

never understood when PSA grades something people say ' no way its a PSA X'

Well IT IS a PSA X....they graded it.

You can say no way its an EX condition card.....but its been graded by PSA already and its graded what is graded.. there of course is large spectrum within grades and sometimes that overlap frankly but for all of those 'nice cards for the grade' there has to be 'bad card for the grade' not talking abut any specific card...

so instead of saying no way thats a PSA X i guess you can say 'bad card for the grade' who knows.

i have mentioned this many times but without a TPG.......i cant imagine how many deals would get broken after sales over disagreement over what 'near mint' means after the buyer gets the card in hand..... at least PSA and TPG have probably prevented 30% if not more sales from not being broken

steve B
05-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Edited to add: I've seen cards with extra paper before, so I know it happens. But the ink still applies over the extra paper as the sheet passes through, so that in the end it appears as a bubble on the surface. How did the "extra paper" miss the ink pass? I'm calling BS on this.

That's mostly correct. Mostly. But there are a lot of other things that can happen. The scan just isn't good enough to show them so I could tell.

Extra paper can get on the card after the ink is applied, and stick to the wet ink.

Paper can also get stuck on post production as well.

The cardstock on 52s is white paper over the darker base material. Th upper layer can be damaged, folded over, printed on then folded back, leaving a "blank spot" (VERY uncommon, it can happen, but I haven't seen one. )

There can be a paper "inclusion" some bit of stuff that gets into the paper while it's being made. Usually a gentle bump, they can also be less gentle and stick out more. And the ink gets rubbed off pretty easily. I have a T206 with a pretty rough but small inclusion, ink rubbed off, it looks like a tiny spot of paper loss, but it's smooth. It did have a strong impact on the grade.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=3031

I'm weird, and like that sort of stuff. :o If I had the dough to get a 52 Mantle, this would interest me.

Peter_Spaeth
05-12-2019, 12:40 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-311-Mickey-Mantle-Yankees-RC-HOF-HIGH-PSA-5-FANTASTIC-CENTERING/362645495086?hash=item546f5b1d2e:g:5jgAAOSwTwtcpg0 8

It does not appear Rick has amended the description yet.

sflayank
05-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Has anybody ever noticed his instructions?
Do you realize according to probstein if you DONT pay for an item he will REDUCE shipping

CMIZ5290
05-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Looks like something stuck on to it.

For once in a lifetime, I agree with Jed, I mean Ted

Republicaninmass
05-12-2019, 04:57 PM
For once in a lifetime, I agree with Jed, I mean TedWow, even a blinnd squirrel finds a nut!

For the record if a seller cracks as PSA MC card, he can resell in an SGC holder without disclosing. Betcha like that one too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CMIZ5290
05-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Wow, even a blinnd squirrel finds a nut!

For the record if a seller cracks as PSA MC card, he can resell in an SGC holder without disclosing. Betcha like that one too.

Which card are you referring to Jed? Got to love the English and spelling....

Republicaninmass
05-12-2019, 05:17 PM
For a while, I thought you we a rapper from orange county. Everyone kept referring to the MC/OC Miz

CMIZ5290
05-12-2019, 05:23 PM
For a while, I thought you we a rapper from orange county. Everyone kept referring to the MC/OC Miz

Can you say WTF? I can.... What in the Hell are you talking about? It is confirmed, you've got the brains of a fire hydrant...Congrats....By the way pal, how many straight grade T206s would you like to buy (without credit of course)?

CMIZ5290
05-12-2019, 05:31 PM
That's what I thought, sweet dreams......

Republicaninmass
05-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Which card are you referring to Jed? Got to love the English and spelling....

Now in and sgc 7.5 holder on the bst boards.

When you have to quote "straight " grades and their sold prices, something might be "crooked"

steve B
05-12-2019, 07:09 PM

When you have to quote "straight " grades and their sold prices, something might be "crooked"

What sort of problem is there? It's not like people can't see it isn't centered well. and 7.5 seems pretty reasonable.

Republicaninmass
05-12-2019, 07:10 PM
What sort of problem is there? It's not like people can't see it isn't centered well. and 7.5 seems pretty reasonable.Nothing, hence why I wrote there is nothing wrong with it earlier.

irv
05-12-2019, 07:26 PM
:)

frankrizzo29
05-12-2019, 10:40 PM

I am really confused by these posts, I own and purchased that 9OC donlin in the Fall Goldin auction and still own it. Why are pictures of it being used in this thread?

ajg
05-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Where do I begin? Here are Probstein's instructions on all his items. Does "yes, we reduce shipping on all unpaid orders.." mean that if I win an item and do not pay right away Probstein will actually lower my shipping fees?

PROBSTEIN123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

yes, we reduce shipping on all unpaid orders..the reduced shipping price
depends on the precise variables....once you pay for an order ebay requires us
to ship the item...we allow up to 10 days to combine for reduce shipping...
please wait for us to send an invoice or request an invoice prior to payment...

NJ residents must add 6.62% sales tax.

Probstein123 offers full refunds on returned items.

Thanks for the bids and interest in our auctions.

swarmee
05-13-2019, 06:10 AM
My impression is that he means that he will combine shipping on multiple orders, but only if you wait for an invoice. If you pay for each item separately, there are no orders to combine shipping on.

T206Collector
05-13-2019, 06:29 AM
I am really confused by these posts, I own and purchased that 9OC donlin in the Fall Goldin auction and still own it. Why are pictures of it being used in this thread?

Theory is that the same card is being sold in an SGC holder on the BST.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268826

http://goldinauctions.com/lot-44829.aspx

frankrizzo29
05-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Theory is that the same card is being sold in an SGC holder on the BST.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268826

http://goldinauctions.com/lot-44829.aspx

Ok, makes sense. I can assure everyone though that I still own the card in the PSA 9OC holder with no plans of selling it. I was shocked to see pics of my card showing up in the middle of a net54 spat.

calvindog
05-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Ok, makes sense. I can assure everyone though that I still own the card in the PSA 9OC holder with no plans of selling it. I was shocked to see pics of my card showing up in the middle of a net54 spat.

I'm lost. If you still own the PSA 9OC card how can it be for sale in an SGC 86 holder? Unless it's a different card.

Promethius88
05-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Kind Regards,

Sean

Please pardon my French and with all due respect, who gives a sh*t?!!? This is not directed at you Sean, but folks that want to belittle the card and point fingers at TPG's. If you don't agree with the grade on a slab, any slab, bid accordingly. The onus falls on the bidder, not the seller to get as much information as they can before hitting the bid button. If you believe it is actually paper loss, then probably best to look for another example that suits your taste. Doesn't mean that someone else doesn't like the card a lot. We can also slam PSA for not getting a grade right or making a mistake. Thing is, if you are spending that kind of coin on a card, it's probably not the first baseball card you have purchased and I'm guessing you have done a little shopping around and some research. You wouldn't spend $30k+ on a car by just looking at a picture of it and not knowing anything about it. This isn't the 1970's where you order a card sight unseen out of a magazine and hope the seller graded it like you do. Plenty of resources available at our fingertips in this day an age to make informed decisions.
At the end of they day, we are collectors and should collect what we enjoy without being chained to the monetary worth of our collections. Hell, the majority of us are going to pass with a vast amount of our collections intact and our heirs are going to sell it off with little to no knowledge of of the actual cards anyhow.

T206Collector
05-13-2019, 03:06 PM
I'm lost. If you still own the PSA 9OC card how can it be for sale in an SGC 86 holder? Unless it's a different card.

It's gotta be a different card. The window to get a card bought in last Fall's Goldin auction into a pre-10-point-scale SGC holder may not even exist -- not sure when SGC made the change over.

frankrizzo29
05-13-2019, 04:14 PM
It's gotta be a different card. The window to get a card bought in last Fall's Goldin auction into a pre-10-point-scale SGC holder may not even exist -- not sure when SGC made the change over.

I'm not sure if I posted the pic correctly, but attached is a "proof of existence " pic. 100% my card is different from the SGC card listed for sale in BST. Again, I bought this in Oct in the goldin auctions, I still own the card, and it is not for sale.

Peter_Spaeth
05-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Just two cards with similar centering. Not exactly an earthshaking event. :eek:

And back to the subject of the thread, no explanation added yet by Rick as to the spot.

ullmandds
05-13-2019, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure if I posted the pic correctly, but attached is a "proof of existence " pic. 100% my card is different from the SGC card listed for sale in BST. Again, I bought this in Oct in the goldin auctions, I still own the card, and it is not for sale.

What? No proof of existence sticker?

calvindog
05-13-2019, 05:20 PM
just two cards with similar centering. Not exactly an earthshaking event. :eek:

And back to the subject of the thread, no explanation added yet by rick as to the spot.

Backs are centered the same too.

irv
05-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Backs are centered the same too.

Certainly looks like the exact same card but it looks like we are being fooled as both have to be, based on their respective slabs, different from one another.

Here's a straightened image.

CuriousGeorge
05-13-2019, 06:31 PM
I’m not accusing anyone of anything (even though it seems a tad far fetched that someone with 6 lifetime posts just happened to be trolling the board and saw his card — and then without provocation that the card was not for sale), but if someone wanted to they could easily put the page with the date on top of the picture of the card and create a new picture making it appear as if it was recently done. Just sayin’.

Republicaninmass
05-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Hey it was just a shot in the dark. Member says show him an OC or MC card in a new holder, and I picked it out if the air. Might not be the same, but argument was that it's fine to swap out mc or oc and not disclose.

Btw after this card first appeared, 6 months later the 8.5 popped up

JollyElm
05-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Frank, can you please post an actual scan (not a photograph) of the card, so it's lying flat? The larger the file the better. Thanks.

Hxcmilkshake
05-13-2019, 07:44 PM
Please pardon my French and with all due respect, who gives a sh*t?!!? This is not directed at you Sean, but folks that want to belittle the card and point fingers at TPG's. If you don't agree with the grade on a slab, any slab, bid accordingly. The onus falls on the bidder, not the seller to get as much information as they can before hitting the bid button. If you believe it is actually paper loss, then probably best to look for another example that suits your taste. Doesn't mean that someone else doesn't like the card a lot. We can also slam PSA for not getting a grade right or making a mistake. Thing is, if you are spending that kind of coin on a card, it's probably not the first baseball card you have purchased and I'm guessing you have done a little shopping around and some research. You wouldn't spend $30k+ on a car by just looking at a picture of it and not knowing anything about it. This isn't the 1970's where you order a card sight unseen out of a magazine and hope the seller graded it like you do. Plenty of resources available at our fingertips in this day an age to make informed decisions.

At the end of they day, we are collectors and should collect what we enjoy without being chained to the monetary worth of our collections. Hell, the majority of us are going to pass with a vast amount of our collections intact and our heirs are going to sell it off with little to no knowledge of of the actual cards anyhow.Uh, duh, that's all we were doing....pointing out the description which was lacking and even had drivel like "looks nicer" .just a chuckle that's all. I hope Sean makes a fortune on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

frankrizzo29
05-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Frank, can you please post an actual scan (not a photograph) of the card, so it's lying flat? The larger the file the better. Thanks.

Here's a scan with it lying flat. It's at 600dpi which is the best I can do with the scanner i have.

frankrizzo29
05-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Here's the back of it....

calvindog
05-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Nice scanner!

1952boyntoncollector
05-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Wheres the proof of existence with the scanned card.. Yeah we want that too and what your astrology sign is...

I think when i go to the post office and seeing the younger attractive girls there in line, they way they look through me or over me i need a proof of existence to show them as ell.

Stampsfan
05-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Back to the Mantle...

I think the solution is to put a purple sticker over the "white spot", thus increasing the value on two fronts.
1. The spot cannot be seen
2. A purple sticker makes a card worth more

ctownboy
05-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Stampsfan,

Would doing that make it so that it can be called the Hickey Mantle?

David

Fuddjcal
05-14-2019, 06:20 PM
What did they tell him it was?

Conservation

Fuddjcal
05-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Kind Regards,

Sean

Very nice, Thanks! Good Luck with it!

sflayank
05-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Obviously the hobby has reached the stage where noone cares....I can see clear as day the paper stuck to the card
Which would automatically drop the grade
I can see with 100% certainty there is paper missing to the left of the yankee logo..I can see with 100% certainty there is writing on the back of the card and I can see with 100% certainty brown staining on the bottom front
The card should grade a 1...I hope Sean makes a ton.....but let's be honest the card is a 1 by definition....
Just the fact that he gave the card to probstein I stead of an auction house tells me alot