PDA

View Full Version : Most inaccurately graded PSA 8 of all time?

marcdelpercio
05-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Well, okay...maybe there's ONE that's a bit better known, but this one has to at least take the silver medal. I rarely ever post or comment on grading topics, but this one blew my mind. Unless I'm missing something here, this card has:

- A surface wrinkle/crease on the center of the top front edge and bottom right corner of the back

- Multiple spots of surface damage or flecks of paper loss including a 1/4 inch chunk on the top border of the back

- Cut/damage on the lower left edge

- And of course the prominent writing right across the center of the card

Yikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-M116-Sporting-Life-Doc-Gessler-PSA-8-NM-MT-Senators-Rare-POP-3-None-Higher/233222609716?hash=item364d269b34:g:DKgAAOSwuMZZCeI M

swarmee
05-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Left side of case looks frosted, and there are some cracks on the back of the case. Could be opened and swapped. They don't all seem to have "FielD" written on them either.

vintagetoppsguy
05-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Looks like your typical PSA graded card to me.

91 flavors available. Drink up, folks!

Peter_Spaeth
05-09-2019, 08:42 PM

This asset has been conserved, not altered, IMO.

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Hard not to be suspicious of a graded card on a white background, though I'm sure I've done it myself occasionally without thinking, it makes it much harder to see case damage.

vintagetoppsguy
05-09-2019, 08:46 PM
This asset has been conserved, not altered, IMO.

If it were mine, I'd resubmit. Looks like a PSA 9 to me.

prestigecollectibles
05-09-2019, 08:55 PM
I contacted the seller asking how that card got a PSA 8 and this is his response

Hi,

That's a great question and I don't know the answer. I did not submit the card to PSA myself. The holder appears to me to be in sound condition. I bought it several years ago from a highly reputable seller. I have also seen that this exact same card (with the same PSA i.d. and with the same letters on the uniform) also sold as far back as 2010 (on ebay, on 1/15/10, selling for $449.00), so I assume it was graded by PSA sometime prior to then and has since traded hands at least a couple times.

Best wishes,

bbnut
05-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Well it's not for charity, and he didn't say "God bless" so it must be legit, right?😉

chalupacollects
05-10-2019, 07:32 AM
From what seller is saying tells me that the original card was cracked out and replaced at least 8 years ago...

Throttlesteer
05-10-2019, 09:55 AM
The holder's bottom edge definitely looks suspect. But, the only other reasonable explanation is the grader was sucking back on some of grandpa's ol' cough medicine before grading this one. It might have a shot at a PSA 4.5(mk) in reality land.

oldjudge
05-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Wouldn't that be the Wagner?

CMIZ5290
05-10-2019, 04:45 PM
If it were mine, I'd resubmit. Looks like a PSA 9 to me.

David,
I actually think the card has a shot a 10 with the right grader.....:p All kinding aside, Seller got a great break on this one....Just imagine if it was a T206?

Leon
05-13-2019, 05:55 AM
The writing is the big issue for me. How can anyone grading that card miss that?

Well, okay...maybe there's ONE that's a bit better known, but this one has to at least take the silver medal. I rarely ever post or comment on grading topics, but this one blew my mind. Unless I'm missing something here, this card has:

- A surface wrinkle/crease on the center of the top front edge and bottom right corner of the back

- Multiple spots of surface damage or flecks of paper loss including a 1/4 inch chunk on the top border of the back

- Cut/damage on the lower left edge

- And of course the prominent writing right across the center of the card

Yikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-M116-Sporting-Life-Doc-Gessler-PSA-8-NM-MT-Senators-Rare-POP-3-None-Higher/233222609716?hash=item364d269b34:g:DKgAAOSwuMZZCeI M

Peter_Spaeth
05-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Ultimately it's stupid to sell this card without a full disclaimer because it just makes the seller look bad, IMO.

glynparson
05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

And stupidity like this is why you are a laughing stock and probably why I got a plethora of emails from people thanking me for calling you an idiot. It’s clear you have an agenda and despite your self proclaimed expertise have never shown yourself to be anything but a little bitch sitting on your keyboard typing freaking nonesense all the while thinking you are so damn clever. You’re a joke and your continuous signing of the same tune is tiresome you blathering jackass.

Frank A
05-14-2019, 04:50 PM
A little hot aren't we. Actually I was sitting at my desk LMAO.