PDA

View Full Version : A Friendly Reminder about Privacy and Giving Your Opinion on Net54baseball

Leon
05-06-2019, 09:17 AM
We had 12 new registrants to the forum yesterday. We average around 80 new members a month. It is worth mentioning the most important rule on this forum vs most other forums. it is in bold letters at the top of every page but almost no one sees it.

" If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

That said it will probably change soon to be less ambiguous. Most likely it will say

" If you say anything about a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

If any of our members want to call out other people or companies they will not be able to hide behind their user id's on this forum. There are plenty of forums where criminals and trolls can go and be protected, this isn't one of them.

If your name can be ascertained by something in your signature then that is fine too. Everyone on this forum has a right to know who is talking smack about them.

frankbmd
05-06-2019, 09:45 AM
We had 12 new registrants to the forum yesterday. We average around 80 new members a month. It is worth mentioning the most important rule on this forum vs most other forums. it is in bold letters at the top of every page but almost no one sees it.

" If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

That said it will probably change soon to be less ambiguous. Most likely it will say

" If you say anything about a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

If any of our members want to call out other people or companies they will not be able to hide behind their user id's on this forum. There are plenty of forums where criminals and trolls can go and be protected, this isn't one of them.

If your name can be ascertained by something in your signature, then that is fine too. Everyone on this forum has a right to know who is talking smack about them.

Is grammar smack?:D

drcy
05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
The general practice is you can contribute often and freely without ever posting your name if you're talking about normal baseball card topics (What's your favorite T206?, what is the population of 1952 Topps?, Does this card look real or fake? What's the rarest variation?). It's when you get into those contentious debates, and especially accusations, about individuals and individual companies.

I've posted often and don't think I've ever had to post my name, as I don't get into the latter topics.

It's a good policy too.

Promethius88
05-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Geez, who does this Leon guy think he is?? Acts like he owns the forum or something! Probably just some troll! ;)

That would TIMOTHY J. HADLEY

Rich Klein
05-06-2019, 08:09 PM
Leon and I went round and round on this at his show (Dan McKee was a fine witness) but I always mention the reason for that concept on this board goes back to the old disastrous Full Count board which preceded this one.

That board became a disaster and this one has survived and thrived because in large part of this very rule. There is a NY Radio Message Board which follows the same principle of providing your name (unless there is a special reason for temporary dispensation) and that board has thrived for more than 20 years now.

In America you have a right to face your accusers and because of that concept I do agree with that point

Rich

Bpm0014
05-08-2019, 08:22 AM
...this one has survived and thrived because in large part of this very rule.

Couldn't agree more!