PDA

View Full Version : COMC and sales tax

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2019, 05:09 PM
I was considering a purchase today off COMC and learned that they have already started to collect sales tax from you no matter where you live. To make an offer I was required to buy store credit and sure enough to do that I had to pay sales tax. I called and they confirmed that they implemented this across the board recently. Do we know how long before ebay does the same?

bmattioli
04-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Sales tax across the board on E-Bay is inevitable. I have been paying more recently from buyers forced to add the tax. All sellers will at some point, get used to it..

Yastrzemski Sports
04-25-2019, 07:25 PM
I do own a business and was sent a message by eBay to fill out a resale certificate to stop sales tax from being charged sales tax. If you operate a business on any level you should submit a resale cert to them. By law, COMC should be following suit so business owners aren’t double taxed.

Michael B
04-25-2019, 08:38 PM
If they collected sales tax they would be breaking the law for those who live in sales tax exempt states or have their packages delivered to those states. It may have changed for several of the states, but from what I recall Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, Alaska and Oregon have no sales tax. I am still pretty sure about DE and NH, not sure if the others are still that way. Also, if a state has not passed an internet sales tax law, that would also be questionable.

swarmee
04-25-2019, 09:25 PM
COMC is not doing it across the board; only for states that have passed use tax collection on the internet after the Supreme Court decision. Florida is not one of those states.
And eBay already implements it as well, for the same states.

https://blog.comc.com/2019/03/30/internet-sales-tax-legislation-changes/

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2019, 09:38 PM
COMC is not doing it across the board; only for states that have passed use tax collection on the internet after the Supreme Court decision. Florida is not one of those states.
And eBay already implements it as well, for the same states.

https://blog.comc.com/2019/03/30/internet-sales-tax-legislation-changes/

So how did COMC know where I was from, to add the tax to my Paypal invoice before I even paid it? I guess the information is automatically conveyed somehow? I don't recall giving them address information when I signed up but maybe I did.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
04-25-2019, 11:22 PM
So how did COMC know where I was from, to add the tax to my Paypal invoice before I even paid it? I guess the information is automatically conveyed somehow? I don't recall giving them address information when I signed up but maybe I did.

It's based on the shipping address

bobbyw8469
04-26-2019, 04:21 AM
Heritage Auctions has already started the tax thing. Needless to say, I have not won much, if anything at all since it was implemented. The high shipping charge as well as the premium (which I don't mind), added with the extra 8% or so sales tax just forced me to pay a premium every time I bid on one of their auctions. No thanks.

ejharrington
04-26-2019, 07:44 AM
I'm getting hammered on sales tax through my ebay/Paypal purchases and just got an unexpected major hit on my invoice from Memory Lane. Living in high tax CT, it is costing me a ton.

jfkheat
04-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Heritage Auctions has already started the tax thing. Needless to say, I have not won much, if anything at all since it was implemented. The high shipping charge as well as the premium (which I don't mind), added with the extra 8% or so sales tax just forced me to pay a premium every time I bid on one of their auctions. No thanks.

I won a couple cards from Heritage last week. I forgot about the sales tax. Cost me an additional $100.
James

bmattioli
04-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Seems like that last tax free frontier will be Flea markets, tag sales and private sales.

Peter_Spaeth
04-26-2019, 06:00 PM
An unrelated gripe about COMC. Yesterday I wanted to make an offer on a 3K or so card. I couldn't do that unless I put 3K into my store account and as far as I could tell Paypal was my only option. I did so. The offer didn't work so I asked for a refund. They refunded me today, so far so good, but Paypal tells me the funds won't clear for 3-4 business days. Obviously I won't be out anything, but seems like a big hassle just to make an offer for a card and doubt I'll do it again. I get that it prevents tire kickers, but still.

Leon
04-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Eventually there will be sales tax on all sales over the internet. It will be more fair to brick and mortar retail which has been getting decimated for years.