PDA

View Full Version : How does PSA Grade Pen Marked Cards if No Qualifier is Requested?

BigSix
04-24-2019, 10:10 PM
The 54 Hank Aaron card has a pen mark on the reverse over the card number. My understanding is that SGC will grade any cards with a mark as a 2. If I submitted this to PSA with the request of no qualifier do you think it would get graded as a 3 or a 4? My understanding is that PSA will drop a card by two grades if a no qualifier is requested. Looking for someone to comment who has experience with PSA grading marked cards. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

swarmee
04-25-2019, 04:03 AM
MK is not one they usually remove. So if PSA thinks it's an Excellent card otherwise, it would still most likely get a 5(MK) despite requesting "no qualifiers". They reserve the right to leave the qualifier on there. Normally NQ is used for things like OC or ST. A 5(MK) would count like a PSA 3 in their registry competition.
If you really don't want to get the MK qualifier, you might need to call PSA. But I've received cards back graded PSA 1(MK) before. And I've also had multiple cards with marks not get graded as MK, probably because the grader missed it somehow. The two cards I'm thinking about were fairly obvious to spot the writing or additional ink.

Q: What are “Qualifiers” and “No Grades”?
A: A “Qualifier” is a term used when an item meets all of the criteria for a particular grade but may still have one significant flaw. Depending on the severity of the flaw, we may be able to “qualify” the item for a higher grade by identifying this indiscretion on the label, for example: OC – Off Center or PD– Print Defects. You have the option of selecting “No Qualifiers” on the submission form; however, please keep in mind the card grade will be lowered depending on the severity. Moreover, there are certain qualifiers that PSA will not remove such as MK –marked and MC – miscut, for example.
https://www.psacard.com/resources/faq

Yastrzemski Sports
04-25-2019, 05:25 AM
That card is beautiful and looks well centered. I would guess it would be a 6(mk) unless there is something I can’t see. Take the qualifier.

glynparson
04-25-2019, 05:35 AM
Last I checked you can’t opt out of the mk qualifier.

jchcollins
04-25-2019, 02:38 PM
I have a '58 Mantle / Aaron that would otherwise be a 4 or a 5 with what I thought were marks on the back but it may be considered a stain from an album. I saw it and thought it should probably have had the MK qualifier but it was a straight PSA 2.

BigSix
04-25-2019, 09:50 PM
I appreciate you all taking the time to answer my question. I now know the qualifier for the pen mark will not be removed by PSA. I do think the card will grade at a minimum as a PSA 5 MK. I just now need to decide if I submit to PSA with the SGC holder or remove the card from the case. Thanks again for your help.