PDA

View Full Version : Judge hurts oblique

Peter_Spaeth
04-20-2019, 08:22 PM
He apparently injured himself taking a swing and may be headed to the DL. Is it me, or is there just a staggering number of injuries in the game today? These young men are great athletes, they have access to the absolute best in training facilities and expertise, but every day another one seems to go down and most of the time it's not from any blunt trauma. I mean who here ever hurt himself taking a swing? Are these guys not putting in the time and effort to stay fit? Are they overtraining and developing the wrong type of muscles? What's the deal?

pokerplyr80
04-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Maybe guys in the past just played through stuff like that, or there are better methods to diagnose such injuries? I really have no idea these are just guesses. But teams are more cautious and hold players out to preserve long term health and protect multi million dollar investments. 50 or 100 years ago such concerns probably weren't that big of a deal.

frankbmd
04-21-2019, 09:09 AM
I would reply to this thread from a medical perspective, but the reply would be obliquely misinterpreted.

KCRfan1
04-21-2019, 11:36 AM
My take, which isn't worth anything, is players are over training. From a physical perspective most players have little body fat and are very trim. I believe that too much weight lifting and not enough stretching and being flexible have contributed greatly to the rise in injuries. The body also needs to rest and not trained every day. Muscles need time to recover and heal after workouts.

Doc you need to give us your opinion. I know you have some insight about this.

mcgwirecom
04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
You need only take a look at the bodies of todays players vs those of players in the past. I'm think of guys like Jimmie Foxx (his muscles had muscles) and Ted Kluszewski. People always said how buff guys like this were. But if you look at many of the average players today they are in much better shape. All six packs and such. I really feel that the amount of muscle on todays players can cause more injuries than those of the past. Some of the injuries today were unheard of in the past. Guys tearing muscle off of bone! As the above poster noted, too much muscle not enough stretching. But I think the too much muscle versus their frame outweighs any stretching they would do.

mcgwirecom
04-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Found some pics. Jimmie Foxx, and a guy who plays for the Royals.

steve B
04-23-2019, 10:42 AM
For what it's worth, a guy I hung out with for a bit was a weightlifter/wrestler. Before most of the steroid stuff came out, he said a lot of people who took stuff got injured because while the muscles got stronger the joints and tendons didn't. And that injuries often came just after getting off the stuff so they could compete.
(But no, he never did any himself.... :rolleyes: I have doubts. )

packs
04-23-2019, 12:26 PM
I think players have always suffered these injuries, they just didn't know what to call them. Probably safe to assume Joe Wood likely tore his rotator cuff without knowing what a rotator cuff is. Maybe Lefty O'Doul and Dizzy Dean too. Overnight the magic was gone.

Jimmie Foxx fell off a cliff at 34 years old. I don't know what exactly happened, but clearly it was something physical and quickly debilitating. Could have even been his oblique. Could have been anything else, but highly unusual to go from one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time to nothing overnight.

Exhibitman
04-23-2019, 12:42 PM
who here ever hurt himself taking a swing?

Not taking a swing, but I did hurt an oblique picking up a bag of groceries awkwardly. It feels like something stabbing into your side, very painful.

As for injuries today, teams and players are much more concerned with protecting their valuable careers than they were in the old days. I mean, after Koufax had his finger injury and surgery in 1962, the Dodgers had him pitch 200 pitches in a spring training game, to see if his arm would hold up. Can you imagine a team doing that to an ace recovering from an injury today? I was listening to The Glory of Their Times and Baseball When The Grass Was Real in the car on an audiobook and was struck by how often the teams ran players right into retirement by demanding that they play through injuries. They destroyed careers. Pete Reiser tells how he was coaxed to play with skull fractures; he wasn't going to say no.

packs
04-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Didn't Michael Conforto dislocate his shoulder last year taking a swing?

tschock
04-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Not taking a swing, but I did hurt an oblique picking up a bag of groceries awkwardly.

Meh. You youngsters. Wait until you get old and start injuring yourself taking a nap! ;)

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2019, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Exhibitman;1872379]Not taking a swing, but I did hurt an oblique picking up a bag of groceries awkwardly. It feels like something stabbing into your side, very painful.

/QUOTE]

What next, carpal tunnel from the remote?

frankbmd
04-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Ob-La-Di

Ob-La-Da

Ob-Li-Que

Ohhh, you can strain me any day

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2019, 09:20 PM
In a couple more years he'll be in the minor leagues

With a hamstring tear, a torn rotator

And a pair of arthritic knees

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Happily ever after back in Binghamton
Aaron plays DH during homestands
Gleyber's back at home somebody took his place
And Andujar retired with a broken hand

frankbmd
04-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Happily ever after back in Binghamton
Aaron plays DH during homestands
Gleyber's back at home somebody took his place
And Andujar retired with a broken hand

All together now.

Ob-La-Di

Ob-La-Da

Ob-Li-Que

Ohhh, you can strain me any day

D. Bergin
04-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Man, the kids and journeymen on that team have been playing above their heads lately. Been watching the road trip, and granted they aren't exactly playing a Murderer's Row of competition, but they've been pulling some games out of their ass, they've had no business winning.

Thanks to guys named Tauchman and Wade and Romine and Urshela and Loasiaga and German and Voit and Ford and Estrada and on and on.

Don't think they can keep it up for long, but it's been fun.

ullmandds
04-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Incredible defense today by urshela. These kids are exciting to watch paired with some pitching experience/expertise the yanks are shocking as of lately! I love it!!!