PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SGC Holder

samosa4u
04-15-2019, 11:52 AM
First of all, I want to say that I like the guys at SGC. They are good graders and do their job very well.

Now I've been having an issue recently with that black insert they put inside their holders. I noticed that sometimes in can cause damage to the edges of the card. This occurs on the back edges. If you put the graded card under a light, then you'll see the edge standing up. Even worse, it might get a tiny crease in it.

I recently got a 1948 Leaf XXXX graded by SGC. It's a nice card, but the back edge has damage caused by that black insert. I'm pretty ticked off about it. A few months before that, I got a few SGC modern cards in the mail, and again, same issue. Because these were cheap cards and I have no intention of selling them, I cracked them out and just pressed the edges down with my fingernail to put it back into place (it took a couple of seconds). The 48' Leaf card, however, is not cheap and I don't want to do the same thing with it. Furthermore, I see a tiny crease on the back edge (caused by the black insert inside the case).

Has this ever happened to anyone else here before? I know some of you here must have some very expensive cards in SGC holders. If so, what did you do about it?

Thanks

R@njodh

Zan
04-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Sadly, yes it has happened to me. It was a SGC 8 1939 Play Ball. The gasket was fit too snug against the bottom of the card and pushed the paper up in at least two different spots. The seller accepted the return which I was grateful of, but would have rather had the card.

T206Collector
04-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Yes, this happened to me many years ago (at least 10). I had a GAI 5 T206 Johnson Portrait crossed into an SGC 60 holder. The gasket put two indents into the bottom edge of the card. Because it technically didn't affect the overall grade, I think they just reholdered it for me in a better fitting gasket, and maybe threw in some vouchers for additional grading. But, it really annoyed me when it happened.

It is ridiculous that this design flaw apparently hasn't been remedied yet.

swarmee
04-15-2019, 03:32 PM
If you do a search on this main board for "gasket", I bet you find a bunch more threads. Didn't a lot of the T3s two years ago get damaged by the gaskets?

T206Collector
04-15-2019, 07:43 PM
When I was collecting 30 years ago, a friend of mine wisely said that a lot of damage gets done to great cards just by trying to preserve them in the condition they had been in for decades without the help of lucite.

3-2-count
04-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Sgc’s slab has been inferior since day one. Forget how it looks, does it ultimately protect the card? I say no, it does not.