PDA

View Full Version : 45 Years Ago Today! Hank Hits #715!!

clydepepper
04-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Henry Louis Aaron passed George Herman Ruth as the Game's All-Time Homerun Leader!

Does it seem that long ago?

A Shout Out to Mr. Aaron, his accomplishments and the dignity in which he has led his life.

Thanks, Hank!
=

samosa4u
04-08-2019, 10:37 AM
It's amazing he still managed to do it even though he was receiving letters like the one below:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C867esWW0AE1Re3.jpg

trdcrdkid
04-08-2019, 01:50 PM
I was eight years old and watching it on the old TV in our basement den while building a Lego house. Whatever channel I was watching broke in to show Aaron's at-bat. Since it was a Monday night, it must have been before 8:00 central time, since that was my bedtime.

Ricky
04-08-2019, 03:10 PM
NBC Monday night game of the week. Henry was always my personal all time favorite player and still is. I remember that game well. Around 2000, I put together a complete 1954-1976 Aaron run, including league leader and all-star cards... any cards that Aaron was pictured on.

frankbmd
04-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Lest we not forget that Al Downing was the first pitcher to give up a 715th home run.

Huysmans
04-08-2019, 04:01 PM
It's amazing he still managed to do it even though he was receiving letters like the one below:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C867esWW0AE1Re3.jpg

Death threats to professional athletes are nothing new.
Roger Maris received numerous threats.

Going right back to the early days of the World Series, this occurred.
Heritage sold an actual threat letter a few years ago, I could be wrong regarding the player, but I think it was addressed to Joe Wood during the 1912 Series, with the letter originating from his family.

Vice did a whole article about individuals threatened.
Even Joe DiMaggio was threatened post-career.

Thankfully, I don't think the overwhelming majority gave into the threats.

Aaron wasn't the first, and surely won't be the last.

Klrdds
04-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Not a hard question but one I like to ask ...
Who caught Aaron's 715th Home Run ball ?

Santo10Fan
04-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Who caught Aaron's 715th Home Run ball ?I saw Darren Rovall's picture of it on Twitter and immediately remembered why I never go on Twitter anymore. I think one of his teammates got it since ball was hit into a non-seating area.

trdcrdkid
04-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Who caught Aaron's 715th Home Run ball ?

Tom House, Braves relief pitcher and later an influential pitching coach.

mybuddyinc
04-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Lest we not forget that Al Downing was the first pitcher to give up a 715th home run.

My father (1927-2012) used to umpire in local Trenton, NJ various league games in the 50's and early 60's. He always said that the easiest umpiring job he ever had was behind the plate when Downing pitched in the Trenton Industrial League ...... He recalled that all he had to do was stand there and say: Strike !! :)

frankbmd
04-08-2019, 04:37 PM
My father (1927-2012) used to umpire in local Trenton, NJ various league games in the 50's and early 60's. He always said that the easiest umpiring job he ever had was behind the plate when Downing pitched in the Trenton Industrial League ...... He recalled that all he had to do was stand there and say: Strike !! :)

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but in the “bigs” he was never considered a control pitcher with around 4 walks per 9 innings. I wonder if he wishes he had walked Hank.:D

darwinbulldog
04-08-2019, 05:06 PM

Byung-Hyun Kim was no Al Downing.

bmattioli
04-08-2019, 05:10 PM
I remember that night and always recall that big fishing net out reached to try and catch the ball. Hank circling the bases like a true gentleman and Tom House running in and giving him the ball..

Santo10Fan
04-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Tom House, Braves relief pitcher and later an influential pitching coach.House's telling of the moment http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb-news/182869-catching-ruths-715th-hr-tom-house-recalls-how-he-reached-the-hof

icollectDCsports
04-08-2019, 07:39 PM
I remember watching it on TV and feeling so fortunate that I got to view that historical achievement. I think about it frequently and I've never lost that feeling.

Exhibitman
04-08-2019, 11:33 PM
There are a few baseball events that I will never forget: Chris Chambliss homering to win the first Yankees pennant in my lifetime, Thurman Munson's death, and most of all Hank Aaron hitting 714.

Bless Hank Aaron, the true home run king.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1974%20Aaron%20num1.jpg

Stampsfan
04-09-2019, 01:13 PM
I remember that night and always recall that big fishing net out reached to try and catch the ball. Hank circling the bases like a true gentleman and Tom House running in and giving him the ball..

I recall it too. Yes it was a weekday game and we were all waiting for it to happen.

I seem to recall a fan running up to him on the field while he was rounding the bases (around second base) patting him on the back. Or was that for #714?

Stampsfan
04-09-2019, 01:14 PM

I haven't verified this, but I don't think any Major League pitcher has given up 715 home runs...
;)

darwinbulldog
04-09-2019, 01:37 PM
I recall it too. Yes it was a weekday game and we were all waiting for it to happen.

I seem to recall a fan running up to him on the field while he was rounding the bases (around second base) patting him on the back. Or was that for #714?

That was 715, and there were two fans I think. Jerks.

Klrdds
04-09-2019, 03:19 PM
I believe on the 20th or 25th anniversary of the HR WTBS and the Braves did a replay of the HR and an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution with updates on all the participants , even the 2 kids who went onto the field when Aaron was rounding 2nd base. They were going to be arrested but the charges were dropped.
Imagine running onto the field like that now !

ALBB
04-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Wow, Great moment in the game

still remember that 74T card #1 coming out and saying - What the hell is that !....didn't seem like a real card...., was confused how it looked like some type of insert or special card..didn't like it at all

icollectDCsports
04-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Wow, Great moment in the game

still remember that 74T card #1 coming out and saying - What the hell is that !....didn't seem like a real card...., was confused how it looked like some type of insert or special card..didn't like it at all

I remember getting that card in a pack and also being surprised, but having the opposite reaction -- thinking it was very cool and a very special card. Also thought the "Hank Aaron Special" cards that followed it in the set were a great idea.

Fred
04-09-2019, 06:48 PM
I remember getting that card in a pack and also being surprised, but having the opposite reaction -- thinking it was very cool and a very special card. Also thought the "Hank Aaron Special" cards that followed it in the set were a great idea.

That is still one of my favorite Topps cards! #1 1974 Topps with Aaron.

In my book, Hank is still the HR king. Not to bash Barry Bonds, but why can't he just admit what everyone knows - he was an incredibly talented PED user. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have broke Hanks record without the juice, but he most likely would have been the only 500HR/500SB guy which is pretty special in itself.

Klrdds
04-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Here's my Hank Aaron Sports Illustrated #715 poster framed and matted on the wall in my baseball room. Not the most valuable or rarest item in my collection but certainly one that I love and get asked many times how I got it. Well in 1989-1990 a friend of mine bought out the contents of a collectibles store and called me and said he had a box of 100 of these posters rolled and wrapped in clear plastic holders from Sports Illustrated and did i want them for $1.00 a poster . I immediately bought them and called my autograph partner and we decided to sell 10 posters for $20.00 each and they sold in one show. So we arranged through our contact to have Hank Aaron sign the remaining 90 along with our 100 Ron Lewis 500 HR posters for the unheard of price of $25.00 per poster. We had the remaining 90 SI 715 posters signed and agreed to sell all but 20 ( keeping 10 for each of us). We had 20 plain signed for sale. 30 mounted on foam core board , and 20 framed and matted. We sold all the signed posters of the HR # 715 within 1 year.
It's the only poster size image I have seen of this view and the baseball in sight and circled . Again it's one of my favorite pieces.