PDA

View Full Version : Another Cubs Mystery Item

smitti8
03-27-2019, 05:01 PM
I came across some more unusual Cubbie pictures. (Thanks again to all of the board members who helped me identify the 1904 Cubs spring training pics!!) This time player identification isn't the issue, it's the item itself that has me stumped...Hoping to get your opinions on just exactly what this may be ??

The players appear to be the entire pitching staff of the 1937 squad and one rookie back up catcher (Bottarini). The board itself measures 17.5" x 17.5" and is 1/16" thick. Each black circle measures 5.375" dia, and the photos are real & glued on. In some cases the photograph wasn't large enough to fill the full smaller circle diameter so the rest was airbrushed in (e.g. Bottarini, Lee, Shoun near shoulders) and I also noticed that both French & Bottarini had the cap "C"s hand painted on. Finally, their last name tags are cut outs that have been glued onto the photographs. Aside from each name written in pencil next to the circles there are a couple of curious numbers scribbled in the lower left and on the back. Sooo, what could it be ? A proof ? An kids art project ? A Cub coaching dart board used to pick the next pitcher ? Really value this boards opinions and welcome any questions to help determine a best guess !! THX, JB

steve B
03-28-2019, 09:47 AM
That would be the original camera ready art for something.

possibly some pin set?

Or a group of stock pictures that maybe a newspaper or scorecard maker wanted to keep consistent?

Or for some sort of team composite, they wouldn't necessarily have used all the players, but might have made them all so they had them if they wanted them.

Bugsy
03-28-2019, 02:42 PM
This looks pretty close: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1937-pm10-baseball-pin-button-coin-686283541

Bugsy
03-28-2019, 02:43 PM
Another: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1937-pm10-baseball-pin-button-coin-1732110284

smitti8
03-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Constantly amazed and impressed by the depth & breadth of knowledge on this board. My sincere gratitude and thanks to both Steve & Chris in helping me solve this mystery. The pin examples appear to be spot on and coupled with the 7/8" actual pin diameter matching the circled 7/8 on the piece I feel we have our match !! THANK YOU !! Now that you both have apparently set me on a path to becoming a pin collector, I'm curious if anyone can explain how the piece might have actually been used (process) to create the much smaller pin images ? My apologies in advance if this has already been discussed elsewhere on the board but if not (hopefully) it would be of interest to others as well? Again, very thankful Steve & Chris for the assist !! -JB

Aquarian Sports Cards
03-28-2019, 09:12 PM
Basically it was the mock up that they photographed to make the pins.

steve B
03-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Scott has the short version.

The longer one is that the piece you have would have been photographed using a very large format camera. The one at the shop I worked for was built into the wall of a room, and could take negatives up to maybe 24x35 inches?

For pictures they'd use a screen in between the lens and film, to make the dot pattern (Halftone) The camera could be adjusted to make the image size whatever was needed - within reason.

those negatives were then used to make a "mask" basically a big negative made from multiple small ones, or possibly in this case, they just used the negative

Then they'd expose and develop the printing plate using the negative.

A few quick checks, to be sure it came out right, and it's off to the pressroom to be printed.

Eventually, they'd cut out the circles, and press the pins together.

smitti8
03-29-2019, 02:06 PM
Scott & Steve, thank you both for sharing your knowledge here. I certainly love most prewar issues and have always wondered just exactly how some of those iconic images made their way onto the finished product we all collect ! Having this piece in hand only piqued that curiosity more so again many, many thanks for helping educate a novice !