PDA

View Full Version : My GMA Experiment

Pilot172000
03-27-2019, 02:15 PM
The last couple of months, my three boys have been getting into collecting baseball cards which is super exciting for me. I only collect T206 or T205 cards now but had crates of cards from my younger days and decided to break them out. As I went through them and distributed them to the kids, I picked the really good ones for safe keeping and decided to have them graded and encapsulated just for posterity.

The graded T206 cards I have are a mix of BVG,PSA and SGC which hold their value and are trustworthy. I didn't want to plunk that kinda money down on cards I planned to keep so I sent them to GMA just for fun. The first batch I got back pretty quickly and was kinda surprised at the grades. I only got two 10s and two 9s the rest were 8.5 to 6.5 which I thought was pretty fair. The second group of cards I sent twelve cards including some T206 and T205 raw cards. I pulled a few HOF and the better conditioned cards from my collection to see how they would grade. I got them back today and was kinda shocked. Out of the 8 T-cards I got a two 4s, a 3.5, a 3, a 2.5, a 1.5 and two Authentic grades. I thought the grades were pretty fair except the two Authentics. One was a solid Homerun Baker that I figured was a solid 2 with creases and some stains on the back but no evidence of alterations. The second was a a T205 common with straight corners but had a burn mark on the back. I am just puzzled by the authentic grades from GMA. Why not grade them out as Ones? I guess the moral of the story is that all grading companies have quirks when it comes to vintage cards. At least they didn't all come back as 10s.

Aquarian Sports Cards
03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
What the hell is GMA?

drcy
03-27-2019, 03:33 PM
What the hell is GMA?

Grand Meft Auto

Pilot172000
03-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Its a lower end grading service I found.

brianp-beme
03-27-2019, 05:38 PM
I have purchased a handful of their lower condition graded cards over the last few years and it seems like they do a decent job with their grading. Perhaps that WWG DiMaggio should be sent to them to verify trimming.

Brian

bnorth
03-27-2019, 06:47 PM
I like them for the service they provide. If you have some cards you want slabbed at a low price to protect them they are great. As far as resale value I don't believe they would be very good for that.

swarmee
03-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Guy slabbing cards at his house in Florida. May be cheap, but doesn't increase resale value because nobody trusts him and collectors expect the cards to be altered in the slab.
It's probably lowest on this rung of currently still existing grading companies:
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
BCCG (because of their wacky scale) and collector distrust/disinterest
GMA

Did I miss any? Is KSA (Canadian grader) still in business?

Pilot172000
03-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Guy slabbing cards at his house in Florida. May be cheap, but doesn't increase resale value because nobody trusts him and collectors expect the cards to be altered in the slab.
It's probably lowest on this rung of currently still existing grading companies:
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
GMA

I didn’t send them to GMA for resale. I’m a card collector not a card dealer. Usually when I have something I think I may resell I send it to PSA or SGC. I would put them above KSA and BCCG personally. The cards I have sent him with the exceptions of my two Authentic grades have been spot on. I’m just not going to spend $20 a card on grading just in case I might sell it. I could used that money for more cards.

Also I have learned to buy the card not the holder. I got bit one to many times by these grading companies by buying the grades.

swarmee
03-27-2019, 07:32 PM
No, I realize; I was answering the guy above that didn't know who they were. Some of the Panhandle guys submit to GMA for mid-grade vintage and cheaper modern cards just because of the quicker turnaround and lower price. But it doesn't normally improve the value of their cards.

Pilot172000
03-27-2019, 07:36 PM
I gotcha. I just thought those guys were being sarcastic. I think all the grading companies have their pluses and minuses. I was just glad to find a cheaper alternative for stuff I won’t sell. I love the people at SGC but their holder are so darn bulky.

Aquarian Sports Cards
03-27-2019, 08:06 PM
I was being serious, I had never heard of GMA. When I saw the thread title I thought you had found some clever way of getting on Good Morning America

Pilot172000
03-27-2019, 08:50 PM
I was being serious, I had never heard of GMA. When I saw the thread title I thought you had found some clever way of getting on Good Morning America

Lol, no I was just trying to find a cheap way to grade some mid tier cards.

Leon
03-28-2019, 10:33 AM

That is what I thought too, Good Morning America :). I think of the GMA as a PRO-like product to avoid.

Pilot172000
03-28-2019, 10:38 AM
That is what I thought too, Good Morning America :). I think of the GMA as a PRO-like product to avoid.

I read a lot of threads about them prior to sending cards there and there were two camps on them. One absolutely against them and one that said they had good experiences. The stuff I sent them the first time was just relic cards and rookies from the 90s and 2000s so it was worth a shot. For $55 I got 10 cards graded and I felt they did a good job. I felt they deserved a positive mention for it.

ullmandds
03-28-2019, 10:39 AM
I think what you did was smart...you could have paid PSA more than the cards aare worth to grade them...why bother!

They are protected and that was your goal.

bobbyw8469
03-28-2019, 10:52 AM
On a side note, whatever happened to ISA?? I thought they were supposed to be the next big thing.

Leon
03-28-2019, 11:07 AM
I read a lot of threads about them prior to sending cards there and there were two camps on them. One absolutely against them and one that said they had good experiences. The stuff I sent them the first time was just relic cards and rookies from the 90s and 2000s so it was worth a shot. For $55 I got 10 cards graded and I felt they did a good job. I felt they deserved a positive mention for it.

And please put your name next to your post per the rules. Shout outs are great and appreciated. But, and this probably isn't the case, someone could work for them and shill their services. That is why names are important. Same rules for everyone ....

Also, back to the topic,if you ever want to sell them you would probably get more for them if they aren't in those holders...imo

Pilot172000
03-28-2019, 12:18 PM
And please put your name next to your post per the rules. Shout outs are great and appreciated. But, and this probably isn't the case, someone could work for them and shill their services. That is why names are important. Same rules for everyone ....

Also, back to the topic,if you ever want to sell them you would probably get more for them if they aren't in those holders...imo

I apologize. I thought I did put my name up there. How to I fix it?

I thought about that too. You are right PSA and SGC are where I usually go with my cards. I actually have an order set up with SGC right now. Worst case is, I get them re-holdered and am out $5.

Leon
03-28-2019, 12:45 PM
I apologize. I thought I did put my name up there. How to I fix it?

I thought about that too. You are right PSA and SGC are where I usually go with my cards. I actually have an order set up with SGC right now. Worst case is, I get them re-holdered and am out $5.

Thanks for your understanding and putting it there. Speaking of SGC, they will be taking submissions at our Texas Card Show, in Frisco TX, later this month. :) Hope to see a lot of members there. And yes, 5 bucks isn't that big of an experiment for cards.

Stampsfan
03-28-2019, 03:13 PM
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
GMA

Yes, KSA is still in business. Changed owners a bit ago, but last I heard are still accepting submissions.

Where would you rank GAI graded cards in your list? I believe I've read here some anecdotal comments around early gradings are quite good, but issues with later gradings.

bnorth
03-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Yes, KSA is still in business. Changed owners a bit ago, but last I heard are still accepting submissions.

Where would you rank GAI graded cards in your list? I believe I've read here some anecdotal comments around early gradings are quite good, but issues with later gradings.

GAI had something in common with GMA. At the end GAI was a guy slabbing cards out of his house. The difference was one is in Florida and one was in Iowa.

swarmee
03-28-2019, 09:00 PM
I've heard the same about their cards, but especially their graded packs. Early ones are unopened, many resealed ones got through later on.

I'd say they're close to SGC when they were good, but I don't have personal experience. I've bought some SCD graded 1952 Topps for my PSA set, cracked them out, and they did okay, even with PSA being thought to have tightened their standards:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=13937547&postcount=45
Of course, I think I bought them all for around PSA 4-5 prices, so even the ones the dropped still "improved" in value.