PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tape Adhesive Residue from Card

Shoeless Moe
03-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Anyone have any luck removing old tape that has yellowed/browned from a vintage card or ticket stub and the adhesive it leaves once the tape is off?

I managed to remove the tape with a hair dryer. Heated the tape that was on it and it peeled off fairly easily, but now have the brown/yellow tape residue that remains.

How do you get rid of that?

swarmee
03-25-2019, 06:56 PM
You want people to tell you how to alter cards?

Shoeless Moe
03-25-2019, 07:05 PM
It's actually a Ticket Stub, but yes.

I know there have been threads about removing excess paper when a card or ticket or what have you was removed from a scrapbook, and I've followed those instructions and you can get paper off, but can you get glue residue off.

Shoeless Moe
03-25-2019, 07:15 PM
found this in this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234837&highlight=residue

http://www.gonewiththestain.com/home.html

but doesn't look like they do tape, anyone have any luck with the tape residue pm please if you don't feel like posting.

KCRfan1
03-25-2019, 09:31 PM
If the tape has stained the cardboard you likely will not be able to get that out. There are numerous threads about soaking and tape removal, so a general search should pull a lot of detail for you in the archives section. Otherwise, GoneWithTheStain, Dick Towle, is an expert if you want to pay for the process.

toledo_mudhen
03-26-2019, 05:01 AM
Once bought a low dollar card with Tape Stain so I could experiment with Soak. After many baths and lots of careful "Q-Tipping" - I was able to remove the residue BUT I also ended up with a significant amount of paper loss. So in the end - maybe the card looked a bit better but I would consider the "Soak" experiment to be pretty much a failure.

Shoeless Moe
03-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Thanks all, yah looks like the tape residue has just become one with the paper, highly doubtful it can be removed, or even lightened.

Leon
03-26-2019, 07:27 AM
I don't think taking tape off of a card is altering it in a bad way. As pointed out, many times the residue stays anyway. Taking anything off of a card that wasn't originally there isn't altering (in a bad way) to many, including me.

bnorth
03-26-2019, 09:11 AM

It is not altering if you or a friend are doing it. It is only altering if someone else does it and they are total scum if they are trying t sell it to you.:rolleyes::D

Leon
03-26-2019, 09:16 AM
It is not altering if you or a friend are doing it. It is only altering if someone else does it and they are total scum if they are trying t sell it to you.:rolleyes::D

That might be one of the most stupid things I have read on this board in a while. Please keep going.....the entertainment value is priceless :).

bnorth
03-26-2019, 09:22 AM
That might be one of the most stupid things I have read on this board in a while. Please keep going.....the entertainment value is priceless :).

WOW, thanks for the personal attack. It was a joke didn't you notice the sarcastic and big smile emojis?

Leon
03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
WOW, thanks for the personal attack. It was a joke didn't you notice the sarcastic and big smile emojis?

I guess I missed the joke part. It is hard to put the emojis in context sometimes. Sounds like we are on the same page. My apology for not reading into what you said, correctly.

steve B
03-26-2019, 01:04 PM
That sort of tape is nasty stuff once it gets old. The stain probably can't be removed without a ton of effort, that would go beyond preserving and into altering (To me anyway, opinions differ)

I'd put some talc or corn starch or similar powder on the adhesive residue to keep it from sticking to whatever holder it's going to be in and just letting it go at that. One of my 59Topps Commons has tape adhesive, and it's been sticky since at least the early 90's. I made a few attempts at removal, and nothing had any effect at all.

Lorewalker
03-26-2019, 02:57 PM
I don't think taking tape off of a card is altering it in a bad way. As pointed out, many times the residue stays anyway. Taking anything off of a card that wasn't originally there isn't altering (in a bad way) to many, including me.

I think I tend to agree, if the "taking off" process it is limited to debris and no chemicals are used. I assume that is what you are implying.

Wrinkles and corner wear are not originally part of a card when issued but it seems people are pretty good at "taking" them off and away. I very much have an issue with that.

irishdenny
03-26-2019, 08:49 PM
Thanks all, yah looks like the tape residue has just become one with the paper, highly doubtful it can be removed, or even lightened.

The moment that you used the hair dryer...
The Glue became part of the Cardboard ~

Initially the Glue & the Tape can be soak'd(water) and Soap'd using the right mixture.

Maybe next time :)

What year is the Ticket Stub From?

Curious, How do you alter a card that has Already been Altered?

Shoeless Moe
03-26-2019, 09:05 PM
the moment that you used the hair dryer...
The glue became part of the cardboard ~

initially the glue & the tape can be soak'd(water) and soap'd using the right mixture.

Maybe next time :)

what year is the ticket stub from?

Curious, how do you alter a card that has already been altered?

jtr289
01-09-2024, 07:11 AM
Anyone know Dick Towle? Can you have him contact me

BillyCoxDodgers3B
01-09-2024, 07:22 AM
^^^

Better get out your Ouija board.

FrankWakefield
01-09-2024, 07:23 AM
Shoeless Moe... you need a non-polar solvent. Peruse Wikipedia about solvents. Lighter fluid will leave an odor, that will diminish if open to air. Rubber cement solvent is an affordable and better choice. Still, when you're done, let it get air so that the fluid has time to evaporate away. Days.

Go slowly, if you're Q-tipping, be very gentle; a stain is IN the paper, not it. With fluid, less is more.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
01-09-2024, 07:23 AM
Shoeless Moe... you need a non-polar solvent. Peruse Wikipedia about solvents. Lighter fluid will leave an odor, that will diminish if open to air. Rubber cement solvent is an affordable and better choice. Still, when you're done, let it get air so that the fluid has time to evaporate away. Days.

Go slowly, if you're Q-tipping, be very gentle; a stain is IN the paper, not it. With fluid, less is more.

Frank,

You're responding to a 5 year old question.

toledo_mudhen
01-09-2024, 07:32 AM
Anyone know Dick Towle? Can you have him contact me

Dick's Son Adam - has continued his fathers business

https://www.gonewiththestain.com/

Snowman
01-09-2024, 08:47 PM

No, he wants people to tell him how to remove something from a card that doesn't belong there to begin with.

Keep screaming at clouds though. This hobby needs cardboard cowboys like you.