PDA

View Full Version : 55 Topps baseball done!

cesarcap
03-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Didn’t set out to complete the 55 Topps set but w/ the big RC’s already in hand, and having recently completed the 62 and 61 sets and after dealing with the high cards in those sets, I needed something manageable.

Almost 70 of the commons and minor stars came from the good members at OBC. This is my first year in OBC, and it has been cool. Thanks again for those that sent cards: I wish I kept track of who sent me what...

Anyhow, the grading of Teddy Ballgame, Bob and Say Hey, kind of baffles me. Sorry for the lack of pix of Sandy and the Duke, but I sent them off to PSA (hoping for 3’s or better) yesterday morning before I thought of this post.

Do I wish that Kaline didn’t have a missing corner? Do I wish Spahn and Yogi were not as wrinkled as me? Do I wish that someone didn’t curse out Joe Black on his card? Do I wish that Banks was not MC? Do I wish I took care of Killebrew better when I was as young as he looks on this card? Do I wish some of the cards didn’t have staple holes on otherwise VGEX or better cards? Do I wish that the backgrounds of the key cards were some other color than yellow (Ted, Jackie, Yogi, Aaron, Duke, Scooter, Hodges & Bauer to name a few)? Yes to all.

But did I have fun building this set? For sure. I did rely on “the bay” to get the last dozen or so, but with OBC and 2 White Plains shows this winter, I had a lot more interaction with people which added to the fun. I loved hearing the stories about the cards and players, especially from the three NY teams.

Harliduck
03-24-2019, 02:52 PM
Congrats! I am down to just a few on my 55's as well, second time I have built this set. Each card is like a work of art, love them all. Love the Joe Black card...

ALR-bishop
03-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Congrats

HRBAKER
03-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Well done!

Puckettfan
03-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Congrats on completing this. Your set looks fantastic. I hope to know the feeling someday :)

ALR-bishop
03-25-2019, 10:54 AM
I particulary like the Joe Black variation 😎

hcv123
03-26-2019, 07:29 PM
I particulary like the Joe Black variation 😎

34 years preceding Billy Ripken!!

Congratulations on completing the set. The Clemente rookie card not withstanding The 55's are one of my all time favorite sets!