PDA

View Full Version : From Non Sports forum...

rdwyer
03-21-2019, 03:00 PM
While searching the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office databases for items related to Topps, I came across this patent application!

Computerized technical authentication and grading system for collectible objects

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=16&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=Topps&OS=Topps&RS=Topps

If they can really make it work and come up with consistent, impartial grading, I might change my mind about graded cards.

Posted by lcummins

LeftHandedDane
03-22-2019, 07:09 AM
Can it call balls and strikes too?

hcv123
03-22-2019, 08:01 AM
While I believe it would be possible that technology could be developed to consistently asses specific criteria (ie what the centering percentage is L/R or T/B). I believe there will always be a subjective element of what criteria collectors put a heavier weight on. When 3rd party grading first started sharpness of edges and corners were most critical, currently there appears to be a shift toward the importance and thereby value of centering. Technology can do a lot - I just don't believe it will ever get to a place to make 2 collectors who have different subjective criteria when evaluating a purchase to agree.