PDA

View Full Version : mike trout $430 million,over 12 years

rjackson44
03-19-2019, 10:05 AM
oh well,,,thoughts ,,,

bbcard1
03-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Good signing, IMO. It's not the back end you worry about, it's what you might miss on the front end that would be devastating. He's the player of the generation.

insidethewrapper
03-19-2019, 10:11 AM
He's great, but his skills haven't achieved much post season results yet ! Neither has Harper and Machado. Can't win with one great player. I'd pay up for a few good pitchers. Pitching is still I think 90%. Look at the Angels pitching staff. Compare to Boston and Houston etc.

Stonepony
03-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Pujols....Angels

ullmandds
03-19-2019, 10:23 AM
WOW!!! Good for him! Better deal than Machado/Harper imo...just need a supporting cast now!!!

rjackson44
03-19-2019, 10:25 AM
agree with pete ,,,

insidethewrapper
03-19-2019, 10:29 AM
If Trout is like all the others before him , his SB's will go down a lot in the next few years (look at Canseco, Sosa, Soriano etc). In his 30's, his baserunning will no longer be an asset, in fact he has not had over 30 SB since 2013 (not over 30 for the last 5 years) !!! . 7 years and he has hit the 100 RBI mark 2 times (100,111) !!! I'm I missing something here, I know he is great, but that much above the others ???

I know he is a great player but I thought his stats were much better than this. Watching MLB Network I thought he was the greatest of all-time ( lifetime average is . 307 , you would think it was .350+ ).

Also I watch a lot of baseball games and I think most CF's are very good and fast. Not sure how some get rated higher than others, they all make great plays.

I know firstbasemen are rated lower, but they are in on most plays in the game ! Ground balls, double plays, fielding bunts, pickoff attempts from catcher and pitcher, throwing the ball to the pitcher , when the pitcher is covering first, scooping the balls in the dirt and saving runs etc.

D. Bergin
03-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Well, it looks like the Angels just wanted to do away with any chatter that he might be headed somewhere else and paid what it took to make that happen.

Regardless of winning or losing, their fan base would have had a hard time forgiving them in losing a generational talent like him.

This is essentially a legacy contract to keep him in the fold for the rest of his life. There's almost no way he plays up to the contract from a numbers standpoint for the life of the contract, but he's the type of player, he's worth more to the Angels then just the numbers.

He's an athletic freak, but he's not exactly an iron man. I envision a similar sort of career track with him that we saw with Ken Griffey Jr.. I think it's only a matter of two or three years before injuries start taking a real toll on his body and his performance.

icollectDCsports
03-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Good for Trout. It's a joy to watch him play.

aljurgela
03-19-2019, 11:06 AM
I am very happy. He is a GREAT player and it would have been devastating to lose him. Now we can build around him. After 2002 I really doubted if I would ever see the Angels back in the World Series. Now, for the first time, I have hope. The farm system is better than it was a couple of years ago. Pujols' contract (which I hated) will come off the books in 2021, I think. This is about as excited as I have been since the Angels signed Vlad.

and.... he is a nice kid. He has signed for my son 4 times and given him a practice ball. Happy for him, the Angels and myself as a fan.

Rarely do these long term deals work out. Here I am betting that it will.

Thanks to Arte Moreno for making the right call after the Josh Hamilton and Pujols disasters.

1952boyntoncollector
03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
i wonder in the past 15 years...how many of the top contracts have been worth it..

we know about ARod and pujols.....m. cabera,, the jury may be out on that one....mike stanton?

Its not really about the money to many of the owners....life is short....if you are very rich you dont care about wasting some money ...its all about the opportunity and fear of missing out....basically what i am saying is these big contracts really may not be great in the business sense but if life is short and you have all the money in the world and love baseball and want a chance to win it all....why not buy the toy instead of your friend buying it

How much was paid recently to keep the Alliance Football League from going under? You think that was a good business decision.......in sports people are willing to do that...childhood love of sports....

ValKehl
03-19-2019, 11:15 AM
I'm glad to see that Harper's biggest-contract-ever status didn't last very long!

ullmandds
03-19-2019, 11:21 AM
i wonder in the past 15 years...how many of the top contracts have been worth it..

we know about ARod and pujols.....m. cabera,, the jury may be out on that one....mike stanton?

Its not really about the money to many of the owners....life is short....if you are very rich you dont care about wasting some money ...its all about the opportunity and fear of missing out....basically what i am saying is these big contracts really may not be great in the business sense but if life is short and you have all the money in the world and love baseball and want a chance to win it all....why not buy the toy instead of your friend buying it

How much was paid recently to keep the Alliance Football League from going under? You think that was a good business decision.......in sports people are willing to do that...childhood love of sports....

id say NONE...based on player performance!

71buc
03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Good for the Angels and their fans. He is that much better than Machado and Harper.

Touch'EmAll
03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
FWIW, the major league batting average in the decade of the teens is down about 10 points from the prior decade 2000-2009. Tougher in Trout's era to post high BA

packs
03-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Smart move for the Angels. Even with Ohtani, the team would be lost without Trout and struggle for any relevance at all. There are quite a few guys in the Angels system (Jo Adell especially) who can put this team in a position to win a few seasons from now. Seeing Adell and Trout in the same outfield will be a thing of beauty when the time comes.

Peter_Spaeth
03-19-2019, 11:44 AM
The contrast between his signing and Harper's absurd melodrama could not be more profound.

Peter_Spaeth
03-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Smart move for the Angels. Even with Ohtani, the team would be lost without Trout and struggle for any relevance at all. There are quite a few guys in the Angels system (Jo Adell especially) who can put this team in a position to win a few seasons from now. Seeing Adell and Trout in the same outfield will be a thing of beauty when the time comes.

Looks like Adell is out 10-12 weeks with an ankle injury, unfortunately. The youngster showed a lot of power last year.

packs
03-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Adell's injury is a real bummer for the Angels. He should recover though. Griffin Canning is a solid pitching prospect and if Kevin Maitan ever lives up to his hype, he'll be a dynamic player to add to their youth movement.

They've got some other guys in the low low minors like Maitan who could turn out to be lottery tickets. Best case scenario is a stacked team 3 or so years from now.

oldjudge
03-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Great deal for Trout, one of the best players in baseball when he is healthy. I think the deal will prove to be an albatross for the Angels.

ctownboy
03-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Good for Trout. Bad for the Angels. Now the Angels have a top loaded salary structure, not much pitching and a recession on the way. By the time the recession is over and Pujols contract is off of the books, Trout will be starting the downside of his career.

If he is a diva by then (like Ken Griffey Jr) he WONT want to move from Center Field to Right Field and thus hurt the team defensively while also not being as good on the base paths.

David

Jim65
03-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Good for him, best player in the game and just quietly goes about his business.

packs
03-19-2019, 12:30 PM
I don't know, it's not that bad. Upton and Pujols are killer contracts but everyone else getting paid (Cozart, Simmons) is a free agent after next season. Have no idea why they gave Harvey 11 million though. They might as well let me pitch for free every 5th day.

Touch'EmAll
03-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Perhaps too narrowminded, but now Trout is inked in, the Angels first priority, by far and away, hands down, is to get quality pitching. They were ranked 19th last year. That is not good enough to get them to the post-season.

Frank A
03-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Sounds like another A-rod deal. In 5 years he won't be worth crap. You think these teams would learn.

darwinbulldog
03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Good for him, best player in the game and just quietly goes about his business.

Yep.

ctownboy
03-19-2019, 02:22 PM
Trout very well could be this generation's Ernie Banks. Great player but little to no post season appearances.

David

JohnnyFinance7
03-19-2019, 02:28 PM
As a baseball fan and an Angels fan, I'm excited that Mike Trout will finish out his career here in Southern California. I plan to take my son to a lot of Angels game going forward. Very exciting news for me!

packs
03-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Sounds like another A-rod deal. In 5 years he won't be worth crap. You think these teams would learn.

Which A-rod deal are you talking about? His 2001 deal seems like a pretty good one even with hindsight being what it is. He signed for 10 years and then opted out after 2007. In that time he:

Won 3 MVPs
Won 5 silver sluggers
Made 7 All Star teams

rdwyer
03-19-2019, 04:15 PM
For that kind of money, i would expect soemone to save the world from nuclear destruction.

JollyElm
03-19-2019, 04:53 PM
It's good that the Angels play in the L.A. area, because the only people who will be able to afford to go to a game (let alone buy their kid a frickin' hot dog) after the ticket prices skyrocket are all the Hollywood idiots who have been in the news lately.

Peter_Spaeth
03-19-2019, 05:10 PM
For that kind of money, i would expect soemone to save the world from nuclear destruction.

And if that isn't enough for him he can always endorse a few products.

mechanicalman
03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Imagine all the HE cards he can buy.

bmattioli
03-19-2019, 05:13 PM
I wonder what Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are going to get.. $40 Million per year? I can see that..

Touch'EmAll
03-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Imagine what Roger Maris would get if he were coming off his 61 HR season. :)

ValKehl
03-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Imagine what Roger Maris would get if he were coming off his 61 HR season. :)

Or what the Babe and Tyrus and the Iron Horse would get if each was in his prime today!

clydepepper
03-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Or what the Babe and Tyrus and the Iron Horse would get if each was in his prime today!

Imagine what Trout would make back then...

packs
03-19-2019, 06:00 PM
I remember Paul O'Neill sharing an anecdote once that he never looked at his contract. He'd play for whatever the Yankees offered him. I bet Lou would have been the same way.

Peter_Spaeth
03-19-2019, 06:28 PM
I remember Paul O'Neill sharing an anecdote once that he never looked at his contract. He'd play for whatever the Yankees offered him. I bet Lou would have been the same way.

I think it was Earl Weaver who said of Piniella, when he dies the first thing he'll do in heaven is hit a curve ball to right for a base hit. Serious competitor. The fly ball he pretended not to lose in the sun, so as to hold Burleson (I think) on second during the Bucky Dent game, was genius. Or were you talking about Gehrig lol.

Promethius88
03-19-2019, 06:32 PM
I wonder what Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are going to get.. $40 Million per year? I can see that..

Is this a suggestion that Betts and Judge are better than Trout?

bmattioli
03-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Is this a suggestion that Betts and Judge are better than Trout?

I would take either on my team, one is already a WS champ and the other is on the door step knocking.. It's all about WS titles..

Peter_Spaeth
03-19-2019, 06:53 PM
I would take either on my team, one is already a WS champ and the other is on the door step knocking.. It's all about WS titles..

WS titles are about teams, not individual talent. Do you think Trout would not win in Boston or NY? :confused:

Vintagecatcher
03-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Red Sox fans are very happy with Mookie Betts.

No doubt Mike Trout is a fine ballplayer, but most Red Sox fans would not trade Mookie Betts for any other MLB player. Period. End of story.

Patrick

Chris Counts
03-19-2019, 08:04 PM
I'm just happy Trout resigned with the Angels. Now I don't have to listen to the East Coast media obsess for two years about how he is going to sign with the Phillies or the Yankees.

Bigdaddy
03-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Glad to see Trout signed before becoming a FA, glad that he signed with the Angels, and glad that his contract smashed Harper's and Machado's numbers.

Enjoy watching him play the game.

Tabe
03-20-2019, 12:35 AM
If Trout is like all the others before him , his SB's will go down a lot in the next few years (look at Canseco, Sosa, Soriano etc). In his 30's, his baserunning will no longer be an asset, in fact he has not had over 30 SB since 2013 (not over 30 for the last 5 years) !!! . 7 years and he has hit the 100 RBI mark 2 times (100,111) !!! I'm I missing something here, I know he is great, but that much above the others ???

I know he is a great player but I thought his stats were much better than this. Watching MLB Network I thought he was the greatest of all-time ( lifetime average is . 307 , you would think it was .350+ ).

Also I watch a lot of baseball games and I think most CF's are very good and fast. Not sure how some get rated higher than others, they all make great plays.

I know firstbasemen are rated lower, but they are in on most plays in the game ! Ground balls, double plays, fielding bunts, pickoff attempts from catcher and pitcher, throwing the ball to the pitcher , when the pitcher is covering first, scooping the balls in the dirt and saving runs etc.
Where to start...

Trout bats 2nd. 100 RBI ain't gonna happen very often. That 111 year? Led the league.

First basemen? By far the easiest position on the field. Any comparison to CF is a joke.

Is Trout that much better than everyone else? Yes. He hits for average, his for power, takes walks, is an elite runner, and great defender. 7 full seasons in the majors - 2 MVPs and 4 runner-up finishes. The 7th season? He was the runaway frontrunner before getting injured. In those 7 full seasons, he's never gone more than two games without getting on base. TWO.

Jim65
03-20-2019, 04:56 AM

Rafael Santana has more World Series rings than Ted Williams, Tony Gwynn, Ernie Banks, Ken Griffey Jr and Rod Carew combined.

rdixon1208
03-20-2019, 05:41 AM
The Angels TV contract is $3 billion over 20 years. If I were them I wouldn't think twice about $430M for Trout.

aljurgela
03-20-2019, 07:06 AM
The Angels TV contract is $3 billion over 20 years. If I were them I wouldn't think twice about $430M for Trout.

This is why the math works....

packs
03-20-2019, 07:16 AM

No doubt Mike Trout is a fine ballplayer, but most Red Sox fans would not trade Mookie Betts for any other MLB player. Period. End of story.

Patrick

The Pirates probably would have said the same thing about McCutchen in 2013. Five years later he was traded for Kyle Crick and bonus money.

darwinbulldog
03-20-2019, 07:27 AM
On the one hand of course there's something ridiculous about a person being rewarded with over $1000 per minute just to play a game that he happens to be very good at. On the other hand, we're talking about the best player since Bonds at least. Arguably since Ruth. As a percentage of other current star players' salaries it's probably less of an outlier than his baseball skills are.

Bagwell-1994
03-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Good for Trout. Bad for the Angels. Now the Angels have a top loaded salary structure, not much pitching and a recession on the way. By the time the recession is over and Pujols contract is off of the books, Trout will be starting the downside of his career.

If he is a diva by then (like Ken Griffey Jr) he WONT want to move from Center Field to Right Field and thus hurt the team defensively while also not being as good on the base paths.

DavidDoes Trout seem like a diva to you? Dude seems like pure class to me..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bagwell-1994
03-20-2019, 10:15 AM

He has no control over who's on base ahead of him when he hits. Asinine to blame him for low RBI totals.

Paul S
03-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Cobb would get Ichiro money:eek:;)

ctownboy
03-20-2019, 11:27 AM
No, Trout doesn't seem like a diva to me. Back in the day, KGJ was said to be all smiles and what was good about baseball but when he was with the Reds and they wanted him to move to Right Field because he sucked as a Center Fielder, he at first refused and when he finally did move he had an attitude about it. Acted like a total diva.

David

aljurgela
03-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Trout is not a DIVA in my experience. He has called ushers away to sign for my son. He has smiled, waved and been super nice to me, my wife and my son and daughter the 3-4 times that we have been close enough to interact with him. Pujols on the other hand has been all DIVA.

iwantitiwinit
03-20-2019, 04:31 PM
Good for him but 249k per game or around 55k per AB sounds a bit excessive don't you think. 55k per at bat holy sh77.

ullmandds
03-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Good for him but 249k per game or around 55k per AB sounds a bit excessive don't you think. 55k per at bat holy sh77.

Check your math!

oldjudge
03-20-2019, 05:23 PM
If Ocasio Cortez becomes president, Trout’s after tax salary will work out to about $15/hr.

GasHouseGang
03-20-2019, 05:35 PM
The main reason I like it is because it's great to see a player play his entire career with one team. That's getting rarer all the time.

Peter_Spaeth
03-20-2019, 05:41 PM
If Ocasio Cortez becomes president, Trout’s after tax salary will work out to about $15/hr.

But he will still be ahead of Harper at $12.

Bagwell-1994
03-20-2019, 06:22 PM
The main reason I like it is because it's great to see a player play his entire career with one team. That's getting rarer all the time.I agree 100%! Its sad the Angels havent been able to put a winner on the field. I hope their farm system pans out and helps Trout get to the playoffs a couple more times at least.

iwantitiwinit
03-21-2019, 03:00 AM
Check your math!

Sorry I was slightly off but not by much:

430 mill/12yrs = 35.8mil/yr avg

$35,800,000/152 gms/yr (his avg games the last 7 years) = $235,000 per game!!

$35,800,000/648 (his avg plate appearances the last 7 years) = $55,246 per at bat.

ullmandds
03-21-2019, 05:36 AM
Sorry I was slightly off but not by much:

430 mill/12yrs = 35.8mil/yr avg

$35,800,000/152 gms/yr (his avg games the last 7 years) = $235,000 per game!!

$35,800,000/648 (his avg plate appearances the last 7 years) = $55,246 per at bat.

OK...I apologize...you're estimate is more accurate than my math...CRAZY!!!!

rats60
03-21-2019, 06:51 AM
But he will still be ahead of Harper at $12.

No, everyone will be making $15/hour.

Peter_Spaeth
03-21-2019, 07:29 AM
No, everyone will be making $15/hour.

LOL fair enough. Somehow I don't think she'll make it that far though.

packs
03-21-2019, 07:39 AM

Patrick

Saw today that Betts will undoubtedly become a free agent. Still think the red Sox would have no interest in trading him next year?

VintageVinnie
03-21-2019, 08:04 AM
I don't think any human being should be paid this obscene amount of money, I don't care what they do for a living. HOWEVER, if you go by the formula that only the best, #1 player should be awarded this type of contract...then the Angels are right on. Trout is the greatest player in the game today, and probably of this generation.

Vintagecatcher
03-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Saw today that Betts will undoubtedly become a free agent. Still think the red Sox would have no interest in trading him next year?

Whether the Red Sox are able to sign Mookie Betts remains to be seen. Only time will tell.

Red Sox fans certainly hope so!

Patrick

doug.goodman
03-21-2019, 06:14 PM
There is no player making more than any team can afford to pay them.

Billionaire owners paying players hundreds of millions.

The Angels probably got a "deal" on Trout compared to what he might have gotten as a free agent.

I'll bet Pujols told him "if I had it to do over, I would have stayed in St Louis"

Mariano made $132k per inning pitched over his career.

Good thing that baseball players play the only major team sport that doesn't have a salary cap of any form.

Is he worth it? He's worth every penny he can get, at least to the guy paying him.

Each and every one of us gets paid an amount that some others would say is too much compared to what we actually do.

I get paid to got to rock concerts, good for me for figuring out how to make a living out of it. Bummer for the school teachers who make less than me.

All Hail Mike Trout, at least until the next guy signs for more.

Doug "if you pay me enough, I will work for you" Goodman

rjackson44
03-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Beer ,hot dog ,pretzel at an angels game ,$80 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Huysmans
03-21-2019, 08:23 PM

It could be better, those same items could cost only $8...
although, you'd be watching talentless hacks tripping over bases and swinging at their shadows.

steve B
03-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Which A-rod deal are you talking about? His 2001 deal seems like a pretty good one even with hindsight being what it is. He signed for 10 years and then opted out after 2007. In that time he:

Won 3 MVPs
Won 5 silver sluggers
Made 7 All Star teams

His salary also kept the Rangers from being anything but a last place team.

And he made a perennial winner into a perennial contender.

He did have one really wonderful interference call though, which changed a lot of things.

doug.goodman
03-23-2019, 10:13 PM

Similar prices at NCAA basketball games this month, and those players don't even get paid.

Doug "hmmm, I wonder where the money goes..." Goodman