PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Topps 3-D condition sensitivity question

Goudey77
03-13-2019, 05:06 PM
I did some research and could not find a sound answer. It appears the 1968 Topps 3-D cards are condition sensitive as in the plastic coating could potentially crack.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? How brittle are we talking? Weather/temperature sensitive? Handling instructions?

I'm thinking about grabbing a few for my personal collection but would like some feedback from those who have first hand knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

JollyElm
03-13-2019, 05:15 PM
If they're even remotely similar to any Kellogg's 3-D cards, stay the heck away from the northeast and find a dry climate!!

GasHouseGang
03-13-2019, 05:18 PM
According to an article on the PSA website:

Scratching and cracking are the primary condition issues with these cards. Merkel says the enamel on the card fronts tends to crack when exposed to heat or sunlight. Lifson has also noticed these condition issues.

"Cracking is definitely an issue," said Lifson. "They scratch and they crack easily."

Chris Counts
03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
I'm curious how well they survive in Toploaders. I'm often tempted to pick up some '71s in nice shape, but they're kind of pricey, and I'm sure it will be worth the effort if they end up cracking.

hcv123
03-13-2019, 07:51 PM
sold my nrmt-mt Clemente (buyer had it PSA graded - it came back a 9 - ouch - I got WAY less than 9 money for it) and I bought one with a pinhole in it - now I don't worry about it getting scratched or cracking.

ALR-bishop
03-13-2019, 07:52 PM
I have a set, some graded, some not, plus one of the proof cards. . No problems so far. Not sure if slabs prevent the issues mentioned better or not. I do not keep the ungraded cards in top loaders and I don't collect the Kellogg's so no means to compare. The 68s have no bending or curving.

Olberman did an article on them for SCD that can be found online. Two of the cards, Fairly and Maloney have true front variations. Numerous back combos can be found, some blank and some with different stamps like the one Howard posted. There are 3 unissued proof cards and the Robinson prototype.

My favorite Topps set. Topps did not attempt cards like them again until a subset of the 2011 Lineage set.

OldSchoolBaseball
03-15-2019, 07:34 PM
I will tell you I've had 2 PSA 9 cards crack INSIDE the PSA holder. These were kept in dry environment out of sunlight, etc. Couldn't believe it so I sold all of them before more cracked. I only had about 20 but they were all HOF'ers and I liked them but was distressed by what happened.