PDA

View Full Version : 1907 Wolverine News Postcard Finds

Cards2121
03-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Hi guys, I just wanted to share a few of my finds from the last couple of months. Over the summer I went to a ďcity wideĒ garage sale. I came across a seller who had some old fish tobacco cards so I asked if he had any baseball cards. Turns out he used to be an antique dealer in the 80s and still had quite a few cards. We finally meet up In December and to my surprise he had a 1907 Wolverine News Cobb batting. We agreed on a price and I was ecstatic to acquire it. 2 weeks later I see an add for some old Tiger programs. Owner tells me he also had a stack of Wolverine postcards. Unfortunately he sold them already but put me in contact with the buyer. After about a month of negotiating I finally was able to acquire the stack which included another Cobb batting along with several team cards, a Crawford, Jennings, and 12 other commons! I recently got them graded, one Cobb came back a PSA 3 while the other SGC authentic (still not convinced its altered just has a funky cut on top). So in the 5 years Iíve been collecting Iíve never even seen a Wolverine news postcard and in 2 weeks I was lucky enough to buy 2 Cobbs! I figured the other Cobb postcard collectors might appreciate seeing these.

yanksfan09
03-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Amazing garage sale finds Joe!
Finding 2 Cobb Wolverines is crazy, such tough cards!

Wish I could find a garage sale like that in my neck of the woods!

h2oya311
03-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Nice haul! Love those Wolverine News PCs! No Wolverine News Portraits of Cobb in the group?? That's too bad. But such a sick group! Love it!

insidethewrapper
03-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Some guys have all the luck. Congratulations !!! A garage Sale !!!!!

Bicem
03-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Another great find Joe!

VintageBen
03-08-2019, 06:02 PM
omgggggggggggg :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

bigfish
03-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Well done

BeanTown
03-09-2019, 02:01 AM
Great story and way to make it happen with hard work and good negotiating over time. Love the Our Home Team foldout postcard you show in the group photo. Congrats

GasHouseGang
03-09-2019, 02:57 AM
Wow wow wowThat is amazing! What a great find Joe. Congratulations!

Kawika
03-09-2019, 01:06 PM
That is a beautiful assemblage of Cobb & Tigers items. What a run of good fortune! Thanks for sharing your find.

grandcards
03-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Amazing find! If Payne, Siever or Downs happen to be among the commons and you have an interest in selling one, I'd be interested. Great cards!

CW
03-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Very nice, congrats!

Your Cobb collection looks fantastic in that last photo.

Cards2121
03-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind words. The card gods have sent some luck my way recently!

Leon
03-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Why can't I go to garage sales like that? Fantastic pickups.

Hi guys, I just wanted to share a few of my finds from the last couple of months. Over the summer I went to a ďcity wideĒ garage sale. I came across a seller who had some old fish tobacco cards so I asked if he had any baseball cards. Turns out he used to be an antique dealer in the 80s and still had quite a few cards. We finally meet up In December and to my surprise he had a 1907 Wolverine News Cobb batting. We agreed on a price and I was ecstatic to acquire it. 2 weeks later I see an add for some old Tiger programs. Owner tells me he also had a stack of Wolverine postcards. Unfortunately he sold them already but put me in contact with the buyer. After about a month of negotiating I finally was able to acquire the stack which included another Cobb batting along with several team cards, a Crawford, Jennings, and 12 other commons! I recently got them graded, one Cobb came back a PSA 3 while the other SGC authentic (still not convinced its altered just has a funky cut on top). So in the 5 years Iíve been collecting Iíve never even seen a Wolverine news postcard and in 2 weeks I was lucky enough to buy 2 Cobbs! I figured the other Cobb postcard collectors might appreciate seeing these.

Baseballcrazy62
03-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Very cool find. The stuff is still out there and we just have to find it.