PDA

View Full Version : To what degree do graded card collectors despise setting free?

Harliduck
03-07-2019, 02:47 PM
This is a question I have been curious about for a while. I know I have read that those who collect graded cards get upset when a PSA 8 or better are popped due to registries, data accuracy for counts, ect. To be clear, I am a raw set collector, BUT I do have some graded cards in my collection I won't pop for my sets. Cards like Clemente, Rose rookies, ect that have massed produced reprints, graded cards are the only thing I trust.

Where is the line where graded card collectors who care about the numbers care of what is taken out of circulation?

My sets are consistent to 4, 5, and 6's if they were to be graded. I'm sure I have some 7s...maybe some higher...and if anything is below a 4, I upgrade. With that said, I have a little stack of slab cards I keep...make that a pretty decent stack..lol, with the majority 5s. I have only popped maybe 2 or 3 7's...never anything higher. I have recently purchased two cards where this question comes to me...these are hard SP cards. Do people care about popping a 4 or 5? Does it matter to ANYONE if an SP 66 Topps is popped? I plan on it, but am really curious if this would make someone upset?

https://i.ibb.co/mtLG6mh/66-Topps-591.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/GdJnB6r/67-Red-Sox-Team.jpg

Got both of these frankly cheaper than I have seen for raw...and I did dip down to a 4 on the Grant RC as this is the 3rd one i've owned...this will by far be the most centered example I have had and will look awesome in the binder. And again...opinions on taking these out of circulation from graded collectors? My gut says folks only care about 8 or higher...but I really have no idea, and no idea if mid grade cards only matter if they are HOFers or SP's...

JollyElm
03-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Sort of a side note, but if you send the cracked open slabs back to PSA, they remove those numbers from the pop reports.

Harliduck
03-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Didn't know that...but that requires work on my end...haha. Honestly, if that was important, I would do that...but is a 5 important?

midmo
03-07-2019, 04:28 PM
but is a 5 important?

I don't know why people waste money grading cards like that. I'd crack those in a heartbeat just for storage issues alone.

Exhibitman
03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Not that anyone has a right to be upset with what you do with your money and cards, but...for modern mainstream cards I don't think anyone cares if a 5-6-7 gets busted out, or even an 8. The registry dorks get their knickers in a twist over low-pop commons in 9-10 since they grotesquely overpay to get the 'best' card and then live in perpetual fear of a new copy being graded.

pokerplyr80
03-08-2019, 11:15 AM
I primarily collect graded cards and would only crack one open if I was planning to resubmit for a higher grade. I haven't tried this yet. As for what you do with your cards, that's your business. Everyone knows population reports are off and there is no way to get an accurate count again. If you crack out a low population card, or one with a value of a few hundred bucks or more it would be nice to get it off the pop report. Maybe you could just email psa a picture of the cracked out card and flip to delete it.

jchcollins
03-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Whether people like it or not, I don't think it's reasonable to be upset with busting any card out of a slab - especially since it would seem to be a part of the PSA business model that people do this upon occasion in a constant quest to get a higher grade. If PSA stringently tracked cards that were busted out and policed the pop report with an iron fist that would be one thing, but they never have.

ALR-bishop
03-08-2019, 01:45 PM
John--- I can not begin to tell you how upset I would be if you popped those cards :)

jchcollins
03-08-2019, 02:32 PM
John--- I can not begin to tell you how upset I would be if you popped those cards :)

I'm sure there are collectors all over the country who lose sleep every night wondering whether I'm in the basement with a screwdriver cracking my PSA 5 Mantles...:cool:

ALR-bishop
03-08-2019, 02:42 PM
I use a bolt cutter and a small irrigation screw driver

jchcollins
03-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Pair of pliers and a small flathead. I've busted dozens of dozens of PSA - the only time I've ever damaged a card was with an SGC slab.

ALR-bishop
03-08-2019, 04:02 PM
I bet I am faster

Harliduck
03-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Appreciate the replies...while I too don't really care as I have popped many, I just wanted a feel. I think it's good to know how others feel and act appropriately.

ALR...Haha...I KNOW how you feel. :) I too use a bolt cutter and a flat head...clip the very top border off, slip out the piece of paper, pop it open. PSA comes apart like nothing, way too weak IMHO. SGC & BVG take a little more elbow grease...haha. Two more 5 Mantles will be freed here shortly...

I am going to take a picture of all my slabs by company and send them an email. They can do what they want, sounds like no one really cares either way...