PDA

View Full Version : unusual golf baseball 1975 program mays ford snead

1880nonsports
03-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Lot of trust in this side of the isle - trying to understand this 1975 program - selling for a friend whose brother-in-law died - want to be true to the estate and would never want to knowingly sell something that isn't real. Note that the DiMaggio noted "to my buddy Michael" (NOT my friends brother-in-law's name). What would the circumstances be where all of these are signed in sharpie? The signatures of the baseball players look right to my marginally trained eye. Can anyone offer anything about a signing or about the signatures? TY in advance if you have something to offer.
friendly,
henry

Scott Garner
03-03-2019, 11:43 AM
A charity ProAm tournament where celebrities played in order to increase attendance to raise money for the charity mentioned on the front on the program.

chalupacollects
03-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Yes this tournament ended up becoming the Westchester Classic on the PGA Tour...

1880nonsports
03-03-2019, 01:01 PM
So I guess there were sharpies in regular use in 1975. My only real apprehension was that they weren't being used on the autograph circuit then and with that having them all signed that way initiated my query. I sorta got the idea they were there for an event :-)

whitehse
03-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Sharpies have been in use for decades but, while I am no expert, these signatures appear to perhaps be signed in blue Flair pen. Flair pens were felt tipped pens that were very common back in 1975.

rmarks
03-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Great looking piece!

I was an avid signed baseball card collector in the early to mid 1970s. Many of the autographs that I obtained at hotels were from a sharpie. I don't think you should be concerned about the writing instrument being a sharpie for autographs secured in 1975.

1880nonsports
03-03-2019, 02:15 PM
thanks!
and yes Flair is possible I guess - I've forgotten most of the 70's!
I now feel comfortable enough to list it although it's always a leap of faith :-)