PDA

View Full Version : More silliness from TPGs

Throttlesteer
03-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Most are aware of the recent changes both PSA and SGC have made in the past couple of years. However, SGC slipped one in under the radar by creating a 9.5 Mint+ grade. No, this isn't on par with Beckett's Gem Mint as SGC now has a 10 Gem Mint AND 10 Pristine. So, what the hell is Mint+???? Maybe they just need to have an 11 and call it the Spinal Tap grade.

It would be nice if TPGs focused on the other end of the spectrum and looked at adding different attributes for Authentic and possibly a 0.5 numeric grade. There's more of a case to be made when considering the immense variability between grades Authentic, Poor, Fair, and Good. Then again, these aren't in the range that drive behavior to gamble on a big score (i.e. Pristine).

doug.goodman
03-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Most are aware of the recent changes both PSA and SGC have made in the past couple of years. However, SGC slipped one in under the radar by creating a 9.5 Mint+ grade. No, this isn't on par with Beckett's Gem Mint as SGC now has a 10 Gem Mint AND 10 Pristine. So, what the hell is Mint+???? Maybe they just need to have an 11 and call it the Spinal Tap grade.

It would be nice if TPGs focused on the other end of the spectrum and looked at adding different attributes for Authentic and possibly a 0.5 numeric grade. There's more of a case to be made when considering the immense variability between grades Authentic, Poor, Fair, and Good. Then again, these aren't in the range that drive behavior to gamble on a big score (i.e. Pristine).

The "people who get paid for their opinions" don't care about you or your cards, they care about their bottom line.

The gamblers drive their bottom line.

bnorth
03-02-2019, 12:16 PM

LOL, I had to look up that SGC now has 2 different 10's, that is just silly.

I have this PSA 11 and they called it Pristine Gem Mint.;)

swarmee
03-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Discussed in August.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256923&highlight=mint%2B&page=21

Is your definition of "slipped one in" actively promoting it?

Throttlesteer
03-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Discussed in August.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256923&highlight=mint%2B&page=21

Is your definition of "slipped one in" actively promoting it?

Does it appear that I am? I guess I missed the discussion on page 21 of that post.

swarmee
03-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Well, they also promoted it themselves on their site, Facebook ads, Sports Collectors Daily, etc... it's not a secret. That's just one of a few threads it was discussed in. I think it's dumb too, but it wasn't a hidden change.

Yastrzemski Sports
03-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Having gem 10 and pristine 10 is a great idea. I would assume that psa will be doing the same shortly. 9.5 is not necessary. You don’t need 3 grades above mint.

D.P.Johnson
03-03-2019, 05:22 AM
Does any one own a PSA 11 Pristine Gem Mint card that has both a purple label sticker and is certified high end by PWCC??? :eek: