PDA

View Full Version : Hello Net54, My new member introduction.

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 12:54 PM
Hello Net54,

Now that I have gotten familiar with the site. It is time for my proper introduction.

I was born in 1977. Grew up in the pacific northwest.
My grandest card pull was in 5th grade when I was introduced to the phrase "F*** face".
I didnt even know I had pulled that card from the cello pack until I heard about it and looked in my stash. Immediately knew it's hot market value and traded it to my local hobby shop for a 1978 Eddie Murray RC.

Did the usual collecting through the 1980's and early 90's.

Fast forward to 2008 and I find myself with a career and some money to spend. Ebay was my friend and I began my pursuit of vintage. T206 red portrait cobb, 1933 Goudey #53 Ruth, 1954 Topps Aaron. It was an exciting time for me.

I look back and realize how much the hobby has brought me joy as a kid. It got even better as an adult. I was blessed to be in a situation to purchase cards on a downswing during that 2008-2011 time frame.
It was all meant to be.

I am an active member over on the PSA forums.

Lurked a plenty on net54. I am honored to have finally joined the community of elite vintage collecting knowledge here on Net54.

I realize collecting can be an obsessive and lonely hobby. So I find outlets like these boards are essential to the well being of us crazy collectors.
I look forward to contributing where I can.

Thanks for reading.

Martin.

darwinbulldog
02-27-2019, 12:57 PM
Welcome. We share a birth year, though I was never lucky enough to pull that particular card in all my trips to the card shop back in '89.

horzverti
02-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Welcome...and great trade for the Murray RC! Enjoy the great resources on Net54.

jchcollins
02-27-2019, 02:03 PM
I'm also the same age, a '77 Pices. I knew all about the Ripken FF hoopla as an elementary school kid, but had never pulled one from a pack. That Christmas we went up to visit my grandmother in PA, and one stop was for my Dad to see one of his old high-school buddies - who collected cards himself (I remember his Red Man's from the 50's) and knew I was into them. He presented me with a box of '89 Fleer wax that he had purchased at the beginning of the year - and suddenly voila! There were at least 2 FF cards pulled. My Dad and his buddy (who until then didn't know the story) busted a gut laughing over the whole thing.

Welcome to the boards!

Gusturd
02-27-2019, 07:14 PM
What exactly is a F*** card? We speaking in code now?

trdcrdkid
02-27-2019, 07:25 PM

He’s talking about the 1989 Billy Ripken “Fuck Face” card.

DeanH3
02-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Welcome Martin. Feel free to share some pics. It's always fun looking at eye candy. :)

clydepepper
02-27-2019, 07:31 PM
He’s talking about the 1989 Billy Ripken “Fuck Face” card.

Art - the FF was on the bat knob in Billy Ripken's photo. There were at least two corrected versions.

Martin- Welcome aboard! Good to know that someone else realizes that we live in an 'obsessive and lonely hobby'. I may be one of the few collectors remaining in my town of 250K - and if there are others, I don't know them...but, I've 'met' a few Net54 members in my state and a whole bunch from all over...so, Net54 helps with the lonely part, but enables with the obsessive part...and, personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Raymond

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Welcome. We share a birth year, though I was never lucky enough to pull that particular card in all my trips to the card shop back in '89.

Seems a lot of us come from the same age group! Thank you for the welcome!

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Welcome...and great trade for the Murray RC! Enjoy the great resources on Net54.

Thank you. If I remember correctly that Murray RC was $50 in trade value. Straight up swap for the FF Ripken. :)

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 08:21 PM
My Dad and his buddy (who until then didn't know the story) busted a gut laughing over the whole thing.

Welcome to the boards!

You know what’s funny I remember my friends dad buying these up like he was going to retire on them. Caused a huge interest in cards even outside the normal crowds!

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 08:22 PM

I didn’t know if we can say the F word on these boards. Just following the rules. :cool:

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Welcome Martin. Feel free to share some pics. It's always fun looking at eye candy. :)

Thanks DeanH3. I’ll share some of my collection one of these days.

Goudey77
02-27-2019, 08:27 PM
Raymond, some of my childhood friends understand the hobby but don’t share my obsession as adults. Lurking on the boards was lonely in itself. I’ll look forward to getting to know some of you on the board. :D

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Leon
02-28-2019, 06:05 AM
I didn’t know if we can say the F word on these boards. Just following the rules. :cool:

Welcome to the forum. Think of us as PG rated. No F bombs please. But you can still get the point across. :) We do have pre-teens that read the board occasionally.