PDA

View Full Version : REA "Watch and Bid" party -- "It was worth a shot"

brass_rat
02-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Edit:
Eh, clearly not the enthusiasm that I had hoped for... But it was worth a shot. Maybe if it was a Saturday... Or an easier city to get around in...

Thanks to Brian for the support -- I'll be at home bidding away. :)

And thanks to Zan for being a vote in favor.

Cheers,
Steve

-------

Hi everybody,

I've been toying with the idea of having a get together in NYC for the closing evening of REA (Sunday, March 24).

I imagine it to be just fun with food, drinks, and internet access -- ideally both hard-wired and secure wifi. I've also thought about having the "recent bids" page up on a projector screen so that people can watch that as well.

The venue and actual details would be dependent on the number of people interested.

I could see the event running from 7 or 8 pm until the midnight auction close.

I'm open to suggestions as well as a show of hands from interested people.

Thanks,
Steve

PiratesWS1979
02-25-2019, 08:31 PM
You might not want to post that.

If REA sees this and a good amount of bids fall short they might assume bid collusion.

Peter_Spaeth
02-25-2019, 08:33 PM
You might not want to post that.

If REA sees this and a good amount of bids fall short they might assume bid collusion.

I don't think REA has to worry, it never fails that people get giddy and overpay for the privilege of winning a card.

spacktrack
02-25-2019, 08:58 PM
We're all for opportunities to bring collectors together and have a good time, so this sounds like a great idea. There's a big NYC contingent so hopefully Steve can get this off the ground. First round is on us if this happens. I'd love to join, but I'll be busy.

Brian

MR RAREBACK
02-25-2019, 09:14 PM
sounds like a fun idea

Zan
02-25-2019, 09:22 PM
I'd be down

AJR
02-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Steiner Auctions Winter Classic Auction also closes the night of Mar. 24th.

Be sure to include the Steiner auction for double the auctions... double the bidding... double the fun.

https://auction.steinersports.com/Catalog.aspx

timzcardz
02-26-2019, 08:27 AM
We're all for opportunities to bring collectors together and have a good time, so this sounds like a great idea. There's a big NYC contingent so hopefully Steve can get this off the ground. First round is on us if this happens. I'd love to join, but I'll be busy.

Brian

Plying bidders with alcohol on the closing night sounds like a well thought out business plan! :D

Sounds like this would be a good time, but Sunday nights are killers.

RedsFan1941
02-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Steiner Auctions Winter Classic Auction also closes the night of Mar. 24th.

Be sure to include the Steiner auction for double the auctions... double the bidding... double the fun.

https://auction.steinersports.com/Catalog.aspx

now that’s funny

AJR
02-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Ronnie- I am curious what is so funny?

Aaron

paul
02-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Have there been any press releases on what will be in the auction? Or do we all have to patiently wait for opening day?

brass_rat
02-27-2019, 08:43 PM
After 1000 views and one vote for attendance, clearly not the enthusiasm that I had hoped for... But it was worth a shot. Maybe if it was a Saturday... Or an easier city to get around in...

Thanks to Brian for the support -- I'll be at home bidding away. :)

And thanks to Zan for being a vote in favor.

Cheers,
Steve

Rhotchkiss
02-27-2019, 09:09 PM
Steve, I owe you a response email (busy two days). If NYC wasn’t 200 miles north up 95 from me, I would have voted yes. I can usually break away on a Sunday, but breaking away on a Sunday to NYC is not realistic for this Washingtonian.

brass_rat
02-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Haha, no worries. Given your excitement for meeting people in the hobby I didn't want you to miss out on the potential gathering just because you're hundreds of miles away. ;)

Sean
02-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Three years from now, when I’m retired, I would be happy to attend.

barrysloate
02-28-2019, 04:27 AM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the invitation, and I was among those who declined. Sunday night was probably the dealbreaker, especially since it might have gone past 1:00 AM. But you can always try putting together a Net54 dinner, as those are always well attended. Perhaps an April date would be nice? And see you soon.

Best,
Barry.....and regards to A and E. :)

Snapolit1
02-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Many things on the Internet are best enjoyed in private. Just saying.

Huysmans
02-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Many things on the Internet are best enjoyed in private. Just saying.

Except your complaining... that you make sure to share.
Just saying.

Zan
02-28-2019, 01:27 PM
🐸☕

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Except your complaining... that you make sure to share.
Just saying.

Legit LOL. Not a judgement, just a LOL.

brass_rat
02-28-2019, 06:49 PM
But you can always try putting together a Net54 dinner, as those are always well attended. Perhaps an April date would be nice? And see you soon.

That sounds like a good plan. :). See you soon -- spring is just around the corner!