PDA

View Full Version : Is this Mantle misidentified card widely known?

T.S. OConnell
02-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Where’s Barney? – The1965 Topps No. 134 World Series Game Three “Mantle’s Clutch HR” card pictures arguably the most beloved player of the postwar era, Mickey Mantle, hitting a historic home run in Game Three of the 1964 World Series off of the Cardinals’ knuckleballer Barney Schultz and it broke the existing record for World Series home runs held by Babe Ruth. It was Mantle’s 16th World Series round-tripper; he would add two more in Games Six and Seven, ending with a record 18 as his World Series tenure came to a close. Adding to the charm of this remarkable pasteboard is the fact that it doesn’t actually picture Mantle’s Game Three home run, but rather almost certainly portrays his Game Seven home run – his 18th and last – off the legendary Bob Gibson. So two historic Mantle home runs are pictured for the price of one. A close examination of the “photo” reveals Busch Stadium as the locale, rather than Yankee Stadium where Game Three was played, plus the pitcher is pretty clearly Gibson rather than the journeyman Schultz. Gibson’s uniform number is rather crudely airbrushed from the colorized photo, but the follow-through is vintage Gibby.

commishbob
02-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Topps being Topps back in the day. I wonder why they didn't use the 'correct' photo for use on this card. It's not like it wasn't in every paper in the country and carried by the wire services.

BTW...are you TS O'Connell, the artist? Either way, welcome to posting. You had an even longer 'join-date-to-first-post' lag than I did.

T.S. OConnell
02-25-2019, 03:05 PM
Thanks for remembering me as an artist. I took this long to post something because I wrestle with passwords, user names, and such. I wanted to comment long ago, but got frustrated by those considerations.

stlcardsfan
02-25-2019, 03:09 PM
This has been discussed several times on the boards over the years. I believe the consensus is that the Mick has swung and missed a curve ball from Gibson. McCarver is cradling in both hands, and it looks like he had a little trouble getting a handle on it.

commishbob
02-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Ha! I understand completely about all those issues. I have post-its with sign-in info stuck all over my monitor. I need a better system. :o

JollyElm
02-25-2019, 03:14 PM
The first post in this thread from last month...
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263981