PDA

View Full Version : Who is the player and does he have a card?

n5gwu
02-25-2019, 09:54 AM
I graduated high school in 1968 in Mableton, GA, going to Pebblebrook High School. As you turn out of the school parking lot there was, across the street, a sand dredging operation and out front, on a pretty good sized billboard, it pictured a baseball player sliding into home base with the caption (name escapes me) and "Longest Slide since Ty Cobb". Anyone know of a player with that dubious honor? I suspect he was from around that part of Georgia, can't picture the uniform, can't remember the name. Just something that has bugged me for a lot of years. I visited the area a few years back but everything is gone or built up in expensive houses (whole area was a swamp when I went to high school there.

I know it's not much to go on, but would be eternally (or even longer) grateful if someone came up with a name and maybe a picture of the card of the gentleman.

With that I could look for old neighbors and ask them if they knew him by name.

Stranger things have happened. Growing up my folks had a place up on Lake Lanier. Luke Appling was a neighbor but he was a pretty grumpy old man, didn't want to talk baseball with kids and didn't want to sign anything. I got chased off his porch more than once.

T206Collector
02-25-2019, 11:31 AM
I'm going to guess that this was a marketing expression used by the sand dredging company. Sand dredgers use long metal devices that I believe look like slides. If a player was shown, he was probably meant to be Ty Cobb.

n5gwu
02-25-2019, 12:09 PM
That makes sense when you put it that way.
Thanks for your insight and I'll put my mind to rest.

Steve D
02-25-2019, 03:55 PM
I would guess that T206collector's idea is correct.

I just looked on baseball-reference.com, and the only MLers who went to high school in Mableton, GA are Sam Fuller and Kenneth Straus (Whitefield Academy), and Chuck James (Mableton Christian Academy).

They don't list anyone having gone to Pebblebrook High School.

Steve

n5gwu
02-25-2019, 04:15 PM
They wouldn't have gone to Pebblebrook High School, it only opened in 1964 and I was in the 2nd graduating class in 1968. So it was a pretty new school, just happened to be built across the street from the sand dredging place.

Thanks for all the help on this as it has itched my mind for many years and I just couldn't make sense of it. Now I wish I could find and have the old billboard although it was full size so the wife wouldn't let me put it anywhere except behind the shop.