PDA

View Full Version : Help me I do not understand..

onlyvintage62
02-20-2019, 05:42 AM
How PSA and others will mark down a card for a print defect (and rightfully so) but NOT for a rough cut.

IMO the rough cut takes a lot away from a card. I mean how can a card be graded an 8, 8.5 or 9 with such a cut.

Your thoughts..

vintagetoppsguy
02-20-2019, 06:54 AM
I happen to like rough cuts. I think they add character to the card. On that same note, most print defects don't bother me either (as long as it doesn't distract from the eye appeal of the card).

darwinbulldog
02-20-2019, 06:55 AM
[shrugs shoulders]

MVSNYC
02-20-2019, 06:58 AM
A card is graded how it appears now, relative to how it left the factory.

The rough edge is from a rough cut at the factory. If it still survives like that, it's mint or close to mint.

vintagebaseballcardguy
02-20-2019, 06:58 AM
I happen to like rough cuts. I think they add character to the card. On that same note, most print defects don't bother me either (as long as it doesn't distract from the eye appeal of the card).+1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ALR-bishop
02-20-2019, 07:11 AM
I even like gum stains :)

Leon
02-20-2019, 07:30 AM
I even like gum stains :)

Send me some of your cards, you will love me. :)

Ronnie73
02-20-2019, 07:43 AM
I have some 1973 OPC Baseball cards in PSA 10 holders and all the cards have ruff cuts. So as others have said, it depends on what's normal when a card leaves the printer. On a side note, what about all those wax pack fresh off center cards? Should those be 10's as well? I guess we are back to: Buy The Card and Not The Holder.

jchcollins
02-20-2019, 07:44 AM
I think how you feel about rough cuts has a lot to do with how you grew up collecting cards and what you were used to. I can understand how some people would consider them a major defect, but they have never bothered me. Hard to explain, but they just never have. The same as cards being slightly o/c (not miscut...) does not bother me. A lot of it comes down to the look of the individual card. Some cards can wear o/c and a rough cut well and still have eye appeal; some don't. I don't know that there is any science to explain it better than that - at least for me.

Throttlesteer
02-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Horrible Gretzkys must be punished. Send it to me and I'll take care of it.

Leon
02-20-2019, 08:15 AM
I thought of this (factory) issue too. That said a print defect is from the printer too, which was part of the question? I think that question was "why count off for one factory issue and not the other?", or vice versa.

I have some 1973 OPC Baseball cards in PSA 10 holders and all the cards have ruff cuts. So as others have said, it depends on what's normal when a card leaves the printer. On a side note, what about all those wax pack fresh off center cards? Should those be 10's as well? I guess we are back to: Buy The Card and Not The Holder.

biggsdaddycool
02-20-2019, 08:27 AM
This very question asked to Joe Orlando on Twitter a couple years back got me blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchcollins
02-20-2019, 08:32 AM

It used to not matter nearly as much (the 1980's) but as we moved into the era of professional grading, people realized that "factory" or not, a large premium often stood to be made on cards that had uncommonly good centering, and were free of print defects, rough cuts, or other things that regardless of where the problem originated with the card - detract from eye appeal.

I wish I were one of those "true factory" type collectors who could be totally satisfied with the argument that "well, that's the way the card was made" 100% of the time, but I'm not. What sucks for me is I'm not strictly a centering guy or a corner guy in terms of preferences - I do both and it often depends on the individual card I am considering. Some look ok off-centered or with other issues to me, some don't. I don't know why - but I've always been that way.

bobbyw8469
02-20-2019, 08:32 AM
This very question asked to Joe Orlando on Twitter a couple years back got me blocked.

What!?!?!?!?! Why!?!?!??!?

RedsFan1941
02-20-2019, 09:01 AM
A card is graded how it appears now, relative to how it left the factory.

The rough edge is from a rough cut at the factory. If it still survives like that, it's mint or close to mint.

cards leave the factory with print defects too

pokerplyr80
02-20-2019, 03:15 PM
cards leave the factory with print defects too

Same with off center, miscut, or even cards damaged at the factory. The challenge is to find cards that looked great when they left the factory, and still look great today.

A card is not just graded on how it appears now vs how it left the factory.

biggsdaddycool
02-20-2019, 03:43 PM
What!?!?!?!?! Why!?!?!??!?

I know right?? The conversation is still on Twitter if you search for it, albeit he deleted a couple of the tweets of his.

Of what is still left on the Twitter search this is what happened:

There was a 1953 PSA 10 with a very chippy bottom edge that he tweeted about how well the card did at auction for not being a HOF or star. Card was Irv Noren 1953 Topps that went for $5036 in 2017.

All I asked was “Looks a little chippy around that bottom edge for a 10, no?”

He said “Not at all. Certain issues should exhibit a slight rough cut due to the way the issue was manufactured.”

I said “okay. You’re the boss. ;)” and that was that. I was being playful, he may have taken it as a smart remark, but either way he blocked a few others who questioned it, too.

RedsFan1941
02-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Same with off center, miscut, or even cards damaged at the factory. The challenge is to find cards that looked great when they left the factory, and still look great today.

A card is not just graded on how it appears now vs how it left the factory.

i know.