PDA

View Full Version : ‘62 Topps Maris #1 - Condition frustration

jchcollins
02-17-2019, 12:44 PM
I recently picked up this woodie, a card I’ve wanted for quite some time but had never pulled the trigger on. It’s probably an EX 5 level card - OC, and some light corner wear, but a surface without many problems and a crispy image. I like the card so much I was already considering an upgrade - maybe a better centered PSA 5-6, or even something in an SGC slab...and then I started an eBay search, and geez!

What a bear this card is to find perfectly centered in mid-grade, or even close to it for a decent price. Besides the lower grade stuff, most of what is available seems to be sharp corners but noticeably OC, centered decently but with print issues, or cards that are nicer and I would be interested in, save for the fact that they are all WAY more expensive than I anticipated. I even saw a few PSA 6’s with nice centering that seemed to have been priced with the notion that they were of 8-level rarity or something.

For those of you who own this card, did you face a choice of centering over corners? It seems that kind of decision may have to be more common for the 62’s than I realized.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190217/dfda454f8bbfa7316cd3ef0478ae6b0d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vintagetoppsguy
02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
I've been looking for a nice, well centered one in Ex/Mt condition for a while. Still looking.

You can say the same thing for the '61 Maris too, but the '62 is definitely tougher. I did pick up a nice '61 though.

swarmee
02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Is it the picture or is the bottom right corner sloped down? Looks hand-cut to me.
But yes, that card is difficult to find in nice condition. It's a pick your poison type of card.

Bigdaddy
02-17-2019, 03:22 PM
I can't speak specifically to the Maris, but a while back I was looking for the '62 Managers Dream with Mantle/Mays card and had a very difficult time finding one I liked (for a price I liked). A common problem was registration, but centering was all over the place also.

Seems like some years have their specific problems. '57s and '62s seem to have registration problems while other years have their own problems - centering, diamond cut, color tint, etc.

jchcollins
02-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Is it the picture or is the bottom right corner sloped down? Looks hand-cut to me.
But yes, that card is difficult to find in nice condition. It's a pick your poison type of card.

It may be the photo angle. There is some edge wear on the bottom, but looking at it straight on, it is square. The bottom right corner is definitely dinged.

I think my poison for this particular card is going to be accept somewhat OC and get nicer corners. Doing both is an expensive proposition. There is a nice PSA 7 for sale on ebay right now with a BIN of $675. :mad:

Promethius88
02-17-2019, 10:49 PM
I looked for a lower grade vg-ex that was centered for quite some time to complete a set. Centered are out there both raw and graded in all conditions but you are not going to get them cheap. I noticed that sellers wanted way too much money for oc ones that had less wear and the centered cards were very pricey for even ungraded. I was so glad I finally found one at a decent price that I liked!

bobsbbcards
02-18-2019, 06:24 AM
I like the centering on my Maris, but it does have a couple of red print dots in the background. Stupid print dots. :(

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1962/1962topps/62Topps001Maris.jpg

savedfrommyspokes
02-18-2019, 06:54 AM
I like the centering on my Maris, but it does have a couple of red print dots in the background. Stupid print dots. :(

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1962/1962topps/62Topps001Maris.jpg

Still a nice 7 Bob, more surprising is that overall (minus a few exceptions) this card as a 7 has not jumped as significantly in value over the past few years as the Mantle and Mays cards in 7s or higher from this set have.

vintagebaseballcardguy
02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
I recently picked up this woodie, a card I’ve wanted for quite some time but had never pulled the trigger on. It’s probably an EX 5 level card - OC, and some light corner wear, but a surface without many problems and a crispy image. I like the card so much I was already considering an upgrade - maybe a better centered PSA 5-6, or even something in an SGC slab...and then I started an eBay search, and geez!

What a bear this card is to find perfectly centered in mid-grade, or even close to it for a decent price. Besides the lower grade stuff, most of what is available seems to be sharp corners but noticeably OC, centered decently but with print issues, or cards that are nicer and I would be interested in, save for the fact that they are all WAY more expensive than I anticipated. I even saw a few PSA 6’s with nice centering that seemed to have been priced with the notion that they were of 8-level rarity or something.

For those of you who own this card, did you face a choice of centering over corners? It seems that kind of decision may have to be more common for the 62’s than I realized.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190217/dfda454f8bbfa7316cd3ef0478ae6b0d.jpg

That's still a very presentable card, John. I have really loosened up on condition within the last year or so. I don't think I will ever tolerate creases, but a card like this has (to me) acceptable wear, and it has the centering it left the factory with. If I were building this set, which I am not, that would work for me and look great in the binder.

Fuddjcal
02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
That's still a very presentable card, John. I have really loosened up on condition within the last year or so. I don't think I will ever tolerate creases, but a card like this has (to me) acceptable wear, and it has the centering it left the factory with. If I were building this set, which I am not, that would work for me and look great in the binder.

62's & 71's are a tough breed aren't they:). It's why we love'm so.

I like 7's or higher but they can NOT have that stupid white line running across the top or bottom of the 62's. I would rather have a L/R 80/20 centering, with no white lines on 6's or 7's and sharp corners.

Just say no to the little "white lines". :D

jchcollins
02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
62's & 71's are a tough breed aren't they:). It's why we love'm so.

I like 7's or higher but they can NOT have that stupid white line running across the top or bottom of the 62's. I would rather have a L/R 80/20 centering, with no white lines on 6's or 7's and sharp corners.

Just say no to the little "white lines". :D

I know what you are talking about, but they don't bother me. My Maris has the line, my Mantle doesn't. Good enough...

jchcollins
02-18-2019, 02:50 PM

I did get another one that hopefully I will be able to post a pic of soon. It's got sharp, NM-ish corners, but is O/C probably 70/30 to 75/25-ish range. Graded a 5.5 EX+.

O/C on this set does not bother me for some reason, I think it's because the borders are brown and not white? Anyhow this one because of that has a bit of an eclectic look - but I like it.

Fuddjcal
02-18-2019, 03:55 PM
I know what you are talking about, but they don't bother me. My Maris has the line, my Mantle doesn't. Good enough...

:D Priorities in Order!

ALR-bishop
02-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Kivas Faho ends up with the best example in 2366

jchcollins
02-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Ok, I'll bite. What? I googled that and still don't get it.

nolemmings
02-19-2019, 12:01 PM

I think I know where he gets his Data.

jchcollins
02-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Ok, here’s my 2nd ‘62 Maris. Centering a tad worse than the first one, corners and colors both way better. I’m wondering if this was BVG’s equivalent of downgrading based on what would be a qualifier, which they don’t have. If not NM in respects besides the centering, this one is close. The image is really clean as well - which I’ve decided for me on this particular card - image and corners are going to be enough. To do all that with the centering I’m not spending like $300 or more on a strong PSA 6.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190219/9b553dfbb22ed1d777f411077ef39e9d.jpg

jimmer77
02-24-2019, 06:13 AM
I recently purchased this card on ebay using the best offer. Card looks great to me from the pics, but my concern is the offer was accepted within minutes of making it, which has never happened to me before, it usually takes several hours or even days. Should I be concerned about the authenticity of this card by such a quick acceptance.

swarmee
02-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Image isn't showing up. Are you jimmertime7 on COMC? You've got a great collection.

jchcollins
02-25-2019, 07:40 AM
I recently purchased this card on ebay using the best offer. Card looks great to me from the pics, but my concern is the offer was accepted within minutes of making it, which has never happened to me before, it usually takes several hours or even days. Should I be concerned about the authenticity of this card by such a quick acceptance.

I wouldn't be concerned. There are settings on eBay now where offers at a certain amount are automatically accepted. So you can submit an offer and then seconds later be notified that it is accepted. It's happened to me before.

At a minimum, why would how quickly or slowly someone accepts an offer have anything to do with the card's authenticity? I would go more on their feecback for that.

ALBB
02-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Great year, Great card

jimmer77
02-26-2019, 05:53 AM
Swarmee - I am not the Jimmer on COMC....