PDA

View Full Version : 1934-36 Diamond Stars team variants

jason.1969
02-16-2019, 08:07 PM
I put together a resource that I hope is useful for Diamond Stars collectors. Whether your reference of choice is the PSA website, the Standard Catalog, Trading Card DB, or just about anywhere else, I was unable to find a single resource that detailed the many team variations of the Diamond Stars set.

I will even say that each of these resources was entirely or largely silent on the fact that FIVE of these variations impact the artwork on the FRONT of the card. My guess is that several of you are aware of the Simmons/Manush front variations. If those are the only ones you know, feel free to click the link for what I believe to be a complete catalog, front and back.

https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/2019/02/17/team-variants-of-the-1934-1936-diamond-stars-set/

Corrections gladly accepted!

Bridwell
02-16-2019, 09:40 PM
That's really great! I've collected the set for many years and wasn't aware of some of these. Well done! A great resource.

jason.1969
02-16-2019, 10:44 PM
That's really great! I've collected the set for many years and wasn't aware of some of these. Well done! A great resource.

Thanks, Ron. I suspect because the ink color and stat updates give just about all the cards variations already, it's easy to overlook the fact that some of the cards have even more significant differences.

One thing I'll note at least anecdotally is that it felt like a 10:1 ratio between one variant and another. For instance, you'll find 20 Al Simmons White Sox cards for every 1-2 Tigers cards. Several others felt similar...my brain is a bit zonked after working on the piece all day, but I think the Manush Red Sox card was one. Maybe Babich on the Dodgers too. Ditto for some of the back variations...tough to track down!

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-17-2019, 04:43 AM
I agree the Manush, in my experience is about 10 to 1

Spike
02-17-2019, 08:42 AM
I asked this to Jason privately and will throw the question out to others.

#12 Dixie Walker is printed in all three Diamond Stars years, 1934 (green back, 1933 stats), 1935 (green back, 1934 stats), 1936 (blue back, no stats).

The blue back changes Dixie's back text, removing a paragraph about being expected to fill Babe Ruth's position in NY. This implies it could've been printed after Dixie's May 1, 1936 move to Chicago, since he'd no longer be in the NYY picture.

Has anyone seen solid dates for when (in 1936) National Chicle distributed the 12 players that included Dixie Walker? (He's among twelve cards between #2 and #31 that were printed again in 1936.) Would be valuable for research to know if those 12 came out, for example, after May 1 and before May 31.

sreader3
02-17-2019, 09:36 PM
I enjoyed learning about these variations. Thanks for the legwork.