PDA

View Full Version : How many marketing emails is too many?

steve B
02-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Five so far today from Steiner. A company I've never bought from, and am unlikely to buy from.

2 valentines

1 auction

1 baseball

1 football....

Guys, can you keep it to one a day maybe?

dictoresno
02-14-2019, 06:31 PM
um, 1 is too many. especially from a company ive never bought from nor will. makes you wonder how/why you ended up on their marketing list. I don't have time to be on annoying mailing lists that buy my data from other companies I do use. unsubscribe is your friend.

itslarry
02-15-2019, 05:56 AM
Doesn't gmail (and assume other clients) auto sort all this stuff anyways? It always ends up in my 'promotions ' or whatever it's called folder.

Peter_Spaeth
02-15-2019, 07:58 AM
There should be a way to unsubscribe, no?

Leon
02-15-2019, 08:00 AM

OF course there is. People like to complain. It is a God given right.
And for the record, we (Net54baseball) have never ever sold or given away any emails or phone numbers in our database. We do send out emails for companies as Hobby Updates but they too are easily opted out of.

tazdmb
02-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Agreed, however, once a year (at most) I will get an e-mail for a Free $50 gift card for taking a survey....which keeps me from unsubscribing.

Promethius88
02-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Not card related, but if you ever buy from MyPillow....even just once, you get about 5 e-mail, every single day!!

MichelaiTorres83
02-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Five so far today from Steiner. A company I've never bought from, and am unlikely to buy from.

2 valentines

1 auction

1 baseball

1 football....

Guys, can you keep it to one a day maybe?

1 email that a preview is up which should be optional, 1 that the auction is live, 1 at extended bidding which should be optional, and 1 email with the bill.

Eric72
02-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Not card related, but if you ever buy from MyPillow....even just once, you get about 5 e-mail, every single day!!

Which means, ironically, you’ll probably not sleep as well at night.

BumBum
02-16-2019, 11:21 PM
I noticed the same thing with Steiner. I have never bought from them either nor signed up for anything. But it’s not marketing emails that I am getting. Instead, I get alerts on my desktop. That’s a whole other level.

Republicaninmass
02-17-2019, 06:50 AM
The starting bid on the card I liked was 50% higher than the last sale?

No thanks!!!!

I wonder how many bids come
(In this order)
On the last day
On the first day

Somewhere in the weeks, days, and hours of alerts telling me ONLY 2 WEEKS, one week, 5 days, 2 days, 48 hours, 24 hours left to bid!

frankbmd
02-17-2019, 07:33 AM
For those with short term memory loss an email every 60 minutes can be very useful.

I would avoid joining a text message group largely populated with people twelve time zones away though. Your gadgets will beep all night long.:eek::eek::eek:

steve B
02-17-2019, 07:30 PM
Doesn't gmail (and assume other clients) auto sort all this stuff anyways? It always ends up in my 'promotions ' or whatever it's called folder.

G what?

On a serious note, I have a commercial gmail account through a place I do some work for. Google wouldn't allow me to access it with my computer without wiping and restructuring my Outlook inbox, which I'm not about to do.

I got a laptop from them, and similarly, I can access webmail after some setting up, but can't download and save the emails, which is my preference.

I'll only use G mail if I'm required to, it's just bad.

steve B
02-17-2019, 07:34 PM

There probably is, but with the emails coming from multiple accounts, I'm not sure unsubscribing from one would unsubscribe me from all.

I also believe they're an advertiser, and that to me gives them a bit of leeway as they're supporting something I enjoy. One a day would be totally ok, two only a problem on my worst "get of my lawn" type days.... Five? As the movie says, five is right out.

steve B
02-17-2019, 07:38 PM
OF course there is. People like to complain. It is a God given right.
And for the record, we (Net54baseball) have never ever sold or given away any emails or phone numbers in our database. We do send out emails for companies as Hobby Updates but they too are easily opted out of.

As I mentioned to Peter, I'm ok with one, maybe even two or three a day, especially from an advertiser that supports something I enjoy.

I thought five was a bit much. (If it was stuff I bought, which with an oil bill of 1700-2000 the last couple months is nearly nothing five might be cool. )

steve B
02-17-2019, 07:43 PM
As an aside about eccentricity...

I occasionally watched shop at home, and the baseball card guy often had "exclusives" which I rarely see. I have a signature rookies set and signed card that I think was one of those. As far as I know nobody cataloged any of that stuff. To be fair, it was lumped in with overhyped sets, overpriced "investments" and such all of which were just regular cards.

So why does that matter in this discussion?
Despite being grouchy about getting lots of emails, I don't delete them. Some part of me figures that someday those emails will be sort of the only "catalog" of what was available.

And yes, I know that's sort of weird and a bit messed up.

Leon
02-18-2019, 07:30 AM
I appreciate you giving a supporter (advertiser) of our forum some leeway. Others I don't care about :)>

There probably is, but with the emails coming from multiple accounts, I'm not sure unsubscribing from one would unsubscribe me from all.

I also believe they're an advertiser, and that to me gives them a bit of leeway as they're supporting something I enjoy. One a day would be totally ok, two only a problem on my worst "get of my lawn" type days.... Five? As the movie says, five is right out.