PDA

View Full Version : PWCC - 1933 Goudey #144 Ruth PSA 1

Madi$on18joshua
02-11-2019, 08:52 PM
I just got blown away in an effort to get #144 on the latest PWCC auction. The PQ sign is really helping get crazy prices.

The PSA 1 just sold for $3,002!!!!

Wow!!! That’s more that what the average PSA 2.5 sells for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lorewalker
02-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Huge price! I have consistently seen the PQ cards go for large premiums in any grade. I have considered consigning some of my higher quality stuff to PWCC however I have talked with several hobbyists who use PWCC regularly and they claim they have never gotten a PQ on a single card. In fairness to PWCC I know it is a small percentage that get the designation and maybe the fellas I have chatted with have mediocre material but it was certainly not encouraging.

There were suggestions made that I do not feel are fair to post here but wondering if anyone here who consigns to PWCC has ever gotten a PQ designation and how often? Also can you send them stuff in advance to get their opinion before you commit to the consignment?

They seem to run a very professional operation and not sure I see other options that are comparable with all things considered.

Thanks,
Chase

ToddW.
02-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Not just that card - seems like everything is selling at or beyond the high range this evening.

canjond
02-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Nice looking card regardless. The staple hole would have bothered me a bit, but the centering and corners are amazing. FWIW, it's the same price I paid for this one last year...

oldjudge
02-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Incredible looking for a 1.5

Leon
02-12-2019, 08:18 AM
I like centering a lot but can't handle pin/staple holes. That PWCC 1 was a great looking card otherwise, but I would take yours over the other one shown, Jon. More was paid for this one and it will do until a suitable upgrade is found. The 144 is probably my fave card in the hobby.

http://luckeycards.com/r319rutha.jpg

Nice looking card regardless. The staple hole would have bothered me a bit, but the centering and corners are amazing. FWIW, it's the same price I paid for this one last year...

pokerplyr80
02-12-2019, 12:15 PM
It's always nice to see collectors spending big money for cards that have nice eye appeal for the grade.

Lorewalker
02-12-2019, 12:30 PM
I like centering a lot but can't handle pin/staple holes. That PWCC 1 was a great looking card otherwise, but I would take yours over the other one shown, Jon. More was paid for this one and it will do until a suitable upgrade is found. The 144 is probably my fave card in the hobby.

Hard to improve upon an example as well centered as yours with full borders.

oldjudge
02-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Leon-Why does your copy look so much more faded than Jon’s? Is that just a scanner setting difference?

brianp-beme
02-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Here are the scans of the PWCC Ruth referenced in the first post.

Brian

Leon
02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Leon-Why does your copy look so much more faded than Jon’s? Is that just a scanner setting difference?

I think it is just so much more faded, hence the part about it will due until I upgrade it.....the other attributes are nice. If I had to guess I would say maybe it was in sunlight at some point in it's life, but that is just a guess. It could have been on one of the last sheets of a run and not much ink was added, who knows? I probably shouldn't have sold the 2 nice ones I had, prior to this one, but my end goal is a bit more up the food chain. A really nice EX-MT or NRMT one would be perfect. If anyone has one they want to sell, shoot me a PM. (Might as well get something out of the card bashing :).)

pawpawdiv9
02-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Crazy, i was watching this as well. I knew it hit at 2k, but for something freezing over or something in the water, did not see 3k coming.

MattyC
02-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I almost went in at 3250 last second, but was on the fence and embroiled in a heated Call of Duty match. Gonna wait to duke it out for a centered and focused 5-7 like Leon.

Bicem
02-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Underbidder on the Texas Tommy Johnson. Same card sold for $8400 in November in Heritage, and "sold" for $6300 yesterday to a bidder with zero feedback. Guessing someone was protecting their investment.

bigfish
02-12-2019, 02:13 PM
typical reindeer games.....

shagrotn77
02-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Wow! That card must have been the only one on the winning bidder’s want list because it’s the only bid he placed over the last 30 days.

RedsFan1941
02-12-2019, 05:44 PM
tough to find card

pokerplyr80
02-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Wow! That card must have been the only one on the winning bidder’s want list because it’s the only bid he placed over the last 30 days.

I wouldn't read much into that. 3k is a big purchase for most. Maybe he's been saving up, or sold a couple if cards to fund this one. Or this could have just been the card budget for the month. The next card I buy on Ebay will be my first bid in 30 days as well.