PDA

View Full Version : Mantle and Aaron opinion please

theshleps
02-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Thanks in advance for your opinions

Mr. Zipper
02-06-2019, 06:45 AM
The two unslabbed Mantles are not good IMO. Not sure on the Aaron.

Is the SGC slab just authenticating the "card" and NOT the autographs? That one needs a better closeup.

Yastrzemski Sports
02-06-2019, 07:01 AM
The two unslabbed Mantles are not good IMO. Not sure on the Aaron.

Is the SGC slab just authenticating the "card" and NOT the autographs? That one needs a better closeup.

The SGC slab has a cert # starting with au (under players names) so it is an older slab for autograph authentication.

I am not good with Authentication but is the 59 as a stamp?

Mr. Zipper
02-06-2019, 07:43 AM
Before SGC had their own autograph authentication, they used JSA and the slabs would indicate "J Spence Auth." Once SGC had their own autograph authentication, they had red labels.

So, I could be wrong, but I am not convinced this slab has received "autograph authentication." I believe it may be authentication for the card only.

In any case, a larger image is needed to make a determination.

The Mantle signature on the 59 card appears malformed to me and I doubt it is a stamp. A larger image would help.

shelly
02-06-2019, 08:22 AM
First two Mantles:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad

SetBuilder
02-06-2019, 11:26 AM
Before SGC had their own autograph authentication, they used JSA and the slabs would indicate "J Spence Auth." Once SGC had their own autograph authentication, they had red labels.

So, I could be wrong, but I am not convinced this slab has received "autograph authentication." I believe it may be authentication for the card only.

In any case, a larger image is needed to make a determination.

The Mantle signature on the 59 card appears malformed to me and I doubt it is a stamp. A larger image would help.

I think once the card has writing on it that looks like a signature, SGC won't slab it unless the signature can be authenticated. I'm pretty sure this is the case from what I've seen, although I'm not sure if that's always been the case. It's common sense fraud prevention, since inevitably someone will try to pass off a forgery by using the card's label of authenticity.

theshleps
02-06-2019, 12:55 PM
I will put a close up of the slabbed Mantle and one other card on a separate post so please let me know, thanks

T206Collector
02-07-2019, 10:22 AM

There was a time between JSA and red label where they just did green label with an AU cert. This was circa 2013. I think I had the Bridwell done in August 2013.

https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/sgc-now-certifying-autographs-under-name-sgc-authentic/

Mr. Zipper
02-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Ah... good to know. Thanks for clarification.