PDA

View Full Version : Help ID'ing An Assortment Of Sports/Celebrity Autographs

MCyganik
02-03-2019, 11:50 AM
I stopped by an antique mall on my way back from the Rhode Island card show yesterday and picked up a VERY random assortment of 27 autographed index cards/cuts for $8. Some had identifiers on the back, some didn't, but I immediately recognized a Richie Ashburn autograph, so the lot was already worth it to me regardless of the outcome of the others.

The identified ones cover a wide scope from all eras including:
Sports: Richie Ashburn (Phillies HOF, d. 1997), Alan Page (Vikings HOF), Larry Lassalle (1950s Braves minor leaguer, d. 1997)
Politics: Joseph W. Martin Jr signed postcard (Speaker of The House under Truman/Eisenhower, d. 1968)
Actors: Stockard Channing (Grease), Betty Lou Gerson (Cruella De Vil in 101 Dalmatians, d. 1999), Larenz Tate (Menace II Society), Majandra Delfino (Roswell), Benny Baker (Paint Your Wagon, d. 1994), Ron Carey (Barney Miller)
Artists/Novelists: Hank Laventhol (Painter), Rudolph Wendelin (Smokey the Bear artist), Chuck Scarborough (NBC News Anchor & novelist), Glendon Swarthout (novelist), Preston Jones (playwright)

I know very little about autographs outside of baseball so these are the ones that I'm curious about if anyone recognizes them or can send me somewhere (Autograph Live?) where they could be identified.

Two vintage looking ones I'm the most stumped on. First one looks like last name Hull, Hale or Hill?, Second is Charles... T.S.?

Ted Healy - Vaudevillian actor, Founder of The Three Stooges - does it look real? He died in 1937 so it's a pretty old and rare autograph

R Starkey, which is how Richard "Ringo Starr" Starkey signs his checks... not banking on this being real as it looks bad, but thought I'd put it out there.

Ed Lauter, actor from The Longest Yard?

Back says Chris Hammon? Doesn't look like Chris Hammond's (the 1990s Marlins pitcher) signature

No idea... #72?

T20Brew
02-03-2019, 01:27 PM
The “Charles” looks to be Charles Olson. I’m not very familiar with him, but was a author and poet. I found an example of his signature online that is a match.

MCyganik
02-03-2019, 02:10 PM
The “Charles” looks to be Charles Olson. I’m not very familiar with him, but was a author and poet. I found an example of his signature online that is a match.

Great catch on the O & L! That looks to be a match. Thank you!

Any other ideas?

chalupacollects
02-03-2019, 02:27 PM
I stopped by an antique mall on my way back from the Rhode Island card show yesterday and picked up a VERY random assortment of 27 autographed index cards/cuts for $8. Some had identifiers on the back, some didn't, but I immediately recognized a Richie Ashburn autograph, so the lot was already worth it to me regardless of the outcome of the others.

The identified ones cover a wide scope from all eras including:
Sports: Richie Ashburn (Phillies HOF, d. 1997), Alan Page (Vikings HOF), Larry Lassalle (1950s Braves minor leaguer, d. 1997)
Politics: Joseph W. Martin Jr signed postcard (Speaker of The House under Truman/Eisenhower, d. 1968)
Actors: Stockard Channing (Grease), Betty Lou Gerson (Cruella De Vil in 101 Dalmatians, d. 1999), Larenz Tate (Menace II Society), Majandra Delfino (Roswell), Benny Baker (Paint Your Wagon, d. 1994), Ron Carey (Barney Miller)
Artists/Novelists: Hank Laventhol (Painter), Rudolph Wendelin (Smokey the Bear artist), Chuck Scarborough (NBC News Anchor & novelist), Glendon Swarthout (novelist), Preston Jones (playwright)

I know very little about autographs outside of baseball so these are the ones that I'm curious about if anyone recognizes them or can send me somewhere (Autograph Live?) where they could be identified.

Two vintage looking ones I'm the most stumped on. First one looks like last name Hull, Hale or Hill?, Second is Charles... T.S.?

Ted Healy - Vaudevillian actor, Founder of The Three Stooges - does it look real? He died in 1937 so it's a pretty old and rare autograph

R Starkey, which is how Richard "Ringo Starr" Starkey signs his checks... not banking on this being real as it looks bad, but thought I'd put it out there.

Ed Lauter, actor from The Longest Yard?

Back says Chris Hammon? Doesn't look like Chris Hammond's (the 1990s Marlins pitcher) signature

No idea... #72?

Looks Like William the Fridge Perry form the Bears in the 80's...

MCyganik
02-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Looks Like William the Fridge Perry form the Bears in the 80's...

I believe you are right, Thanks!

Any other ideas?

Yastrzemski Sports
02-04-2019, 06:28 AM
My 2 guesses:
Ed Gantner was a wrestler - I don’t know what his auto looks like.
Could be Chris Hanburger - that was my first impression. Not a great match but could be an older signature.

chalupacollects
02-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Maybe Chris Simms?

Steve D
02-04-2019, 02:11 PM
I believe the "Chris Hammon" is actually Chris Lemmon, actor and son of Jack Lemmon.

Steve

commishbob
02-04-2019, 02:17 PM
I believe the "Chris Hammon" is actually Chris Lemmon, actor and son of Jack Lemmon.

Steve

Looks like a match

MCyganik
02-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Looks like a match

Wow, great sleuthing Steve and Bob! Thanks for the help!

This has been a fun $8. Now if only I could figure out who that top signature is... looks old.

Any opinions from any Beatles fans on if the Ringo is definitely bad?