PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Auto Cut--JSA

Donscards
02-03-2019, 06:50 AM
Saco River Auction is selling a nice Babe Ruth Autograph with JSA Cert--check it out---https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/Babe-Ruth-Autographed-Hotel-Receipt-Jsa-Loa_38A46C4BE8/

Fuddjcal
02-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Saco River Auction is selling a nice Babe Ruth Autograph with JSA Cert--check it out---https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/Babe-Ruth-Autographed-Hotel-Receipt-Jsa-Loa_38A46C4BE8/

auction ZIP...where ZIP, Nada, Nothing is Authentic. LOL. Cut, strike 1, Auction ZIP. strike 2 & 3 game over. Forget the worthless cut and forget auction zip. hope that helps?

Donscards
02-03-2019, 11:03 AM
auction ZIP...where ZIP, Nada, Nothing is Authentic. LOL. Cut, strike 1, Auction ZIP. strike 2 & 3 game over. Forget the worthless cut and forget auction zip. hope that helps?

Chuck---I don't know who you are, but certainly not a authority on Autographs--This is a authentic Babe Ruth Autograph and has been certified by JSA--

thetruthisoutthere
02-03-2019, 12:02 PM
Just curious, Don--is that your Babe Ruth?

Bpm0014
02-04-2019, 10:59 AM
100% fake

Fuddjcal
02-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Chuck---I don't know who you are, but certainly not a authority on Autographs--This is a authentic Babe Ruth Autograph and has been certified by JSA--

No, but I know a few things about em...Don LOLOL,

such as, I have NEVER seen a legitimate autograph on Auction ZIP. (At least when I stopped looking a few years ago) when ALL THEY SOLD ON THAT SITE WERE FLORIDA FAKES. So, they got better? LOL

daves_resale_shop
02-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Very odd looking ruth

RichardSimon
02-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Don are you the owner of that autograph????? Sure sounds like you are going overboard to promote it The least you could have done was be open about that.
And Don, I would take Fuddj over any other opinions, including TPA's, on any autograph if he is offering an opinion. Who made you the expert???
And FYI - that auto looks bad IMO.

steve B
02-04-2019, 01:27 PM
It seems unlikely he'd sign a hotel receipt. Especially one from a place that wasn't near his apartment.

On Jan 4, he had breakfast with a kid who'd caught a couple saboteurs, having delayed an upstate ice fishing trip. So I doubt Ruth was even in NY on the 11th

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=2ahUKEwi4-9qM8aLgAhUom-AKHbFhCzEQFjANegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fgrahamdude%2Fstatu s%2F976172246954749953&usg=AOvVaw06yTt5Px7yMgF3ZD1cqrlv

SetBuilder
02-04-2019, 02:30 PM
It seems unlikely he'd sign a hotel receipt. Especially one from a place that wasn't near his apartment.

On Jan 4, he had breakfast with a kid who'd caught a couple saboteurs, having delayed an upstate ice fishing trip. So I doubt Ruth was even in NY on the 11th

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=2ahUKEwi4-9qM8aLgAhUom-AKHbFhCzEQFjANegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fgrahamdude%2Fstatu s%2F976172246954749953&usg=AOvVaw06yTt5Px7yMgF3ZD1cqrlv

Here is the route from Ruth's address on 88th Street to the Commodore. It's a little over 4 miles away. Not sure why he would be at a hotel when he had his own apartment in the city.

thetruthisoutthere
02-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Mark17
02-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Here is the route from Ruth's address on 88th Street to the Commodore. It's a little over 4 miles away. Not sure why he would be at a hotel when he had his own apartment in the city.

He wouldn't have gone there to check into a room, but maybe an old friend had come to town and they were meeting for a meal or a couple drinks at the hotel restaurant/bar.

For that matter, he didn't necessarily have to sign it at the hotel - it could've been a chance encounter on the street and that was the only piece of paper the fan had available.

packs
02-04-2019, 03:51 PM
I would not be interested in this Ruth.

daves_resale_shop
02-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Boy do i miss Jim Stinson.

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Auctionzip is just a marketing service used by thousands of auctioneers throughout the country. Saying everything you see on auctiozip is bogus is like saying ever seller on Ebay is a crook. It's just silly. Look at the reputation (or investigate it) of the seller in question, like this guy: https://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/3230184.html

Also Auctionzip has recently started offering a platform for auctioneers to sell online and/or simulcast, but auctionzip does not buy or sell items.

EDIT: This is in no way an endorsement of the Ruth in question, just making a point about the comments on the service auctionzip provides.

RedsFan1941
02-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Don? Don?

Oh, wait, he's at the auction.

thetruthisoutthere
02-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Auctionzip is just a marketing service used by thousands of auctioneers throughout the country. Saying everything you see on auctiozip is bogus is like saying ever seller on Ebay is a crook. It's just silly. Look at the reputation (or investigate it) of the seller in question, like this guy: https://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/3230184.html

Also Auctionzip has recently started offering a platform for auctioneers to sell online and/or simulcast, but auctionzip does not buy or sell items.

EDIT: This is in no way an endorsement of the Ruth in question, just making a point about the comments on the service auctionzip provides.

You are correct about that; they are merely a platform.

I did call them out years ago for the hundreds of forgeries that one of their auctioneers had listed.

thetruthisoutthere
02-04-2019, 06:23 PM
As for the Babe Ruth, it is one of those autographs that I would want to examine in-person utilizing my ProScope.

I have encountered numerous Mantle, Jeter, etc. autographs via a photo that looked authentic from a distance, but once I magnified them using software, my opinion changed once I observed the speed, or lack of.

Scott Garner
02-04-2019, 06:29 PM

First of all, I am not authenticating the autograph in question what so ever.
Jimmie Reese, Babe Ruth's roomie on the NY Yankees, said he only roomed with Babe's luggage. :)
Babe was a notorious partier and a shagger of women according to all accounts in many biographies on Ruth that I have read.
FWIW, I certainly wouldn't use geography as a barometer of authenticity in this argument. Just my 2 cents. ;)

I'll leave the authenticity question to folks on this board that are way more familiar with his sig than me.

Carry on my wayward sons.... :D

Bpm0014
02-04-2019, 06:44 PM
One needs to look no further than the “e” in Babe to know this is no good.

thetruthisoutthere
02-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Has the OP (Don) replied as to whether or not that "Ruth" is his?

Fuddjcal
02-04-2019, 07:07 PM

While I couldn't agree with you more, the fact of the matter is that I never saw an authentic item on the auction Zip platform. Admittedly, I have not looked at it for a few years because the site was full of nothing but 100% garbage from the start, not 75-90% like e-bay. 100%. The Ruth signed receipt is kindling IMHO, making everything I have ever seen on Auction Zip FAKE. I just don't care to look any further at he site or enrich the platform auctionzip in any way for it.

Kco
02-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Gonna go ahead and say JSA May have gotten this one wrong :eek::eek:

jad22
02-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Thought Saco had an okay reputation. Curious what David A has to say about the signature.

7nohitter
02-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Has the OP (Don) replied as to whether or not that "Ruth" is his?

Doesn't look like it, Chris. That is telling.

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-04-2019, 08:14 PM
While I couldn't agree with you more, the fact of the matter is that I never saw an authentic item on the auction Zip platform. Admittedly, I have not looked at it for a few years because the site was full of nothing but 100% garbage from the start, not 75-90% like e-bay. 100%. The Ruth signed receipt is kindling IMHO, making everything I have ever seen on Auction Zip FAKE. I just don't care to look any further at he site or enrich the platform auctionzip in any way for it.

Well the link was to my auction (I was being a bit opportunist lol) so I'd like to think there's at least one reputable guy advertising there (though I don't use their auction platform) and Saco has certainly advertised lots of perfectly good autographs in the past, and even in this auction.

I'm not an autograph buyer, but I have won tobacco cards in auctionzip hosted online auctions with no problems. I know TONS of reputable auctioneers who at the very least advertise there, if not hold their auctions on the platform.

I would argue that a general auction house selling memorabilia needs to be vetted very carefully, but an experienced sports house (like myself, or Saco) should usually be pretty safe. I feel bad for Saco if the Ruth isn't good as I know I have had to rely on third party authentication due to my lack of autograph expertise, of course I'm no fan of JSA but that's another story.

SetBuilder
02-04-2019, 08:44 PM
It sold for only $2,000. When you take into consideration the atypical signature traits and the suspicious medium the autograph is placed on, this Ruth is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of desirability. You can definitely find nicer examples at auction if you're patient and are willing to pay slightly more than $2k.

Fuddjcal
02-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Well the link was to my auction (I was being a bit opportunist lol) so I'd like to think there's at least one reputable guy advertising there (though I don't use their auction platform) and Saco has certainly advertised lots of perfectly good autographs in the past, and even in this auction.

I'm not an autograph buyer, but I have won tobacco cards in auctionzip hosted online auctions with no problems. I know TONS of reputable auctioneers who at the very least advertise there, if not hold their auctions on the platform.

I would argue that a general auction house selling memorabilia needs to be vetted very carefully, but an experienced sports house (like myself, or Saco) should usually be pretty safe. I feel bad for Saco if the Ruth isn't good as I know I have had to rely on third party authentication due to my lack of autograph expertise, of course I'm no fan of JSA but that's another story.

That's nice to know. I have never heard of Saco, so i'll take your word for it. For what it's worth, I do like JSA. If Saco uses them in house they probably just did him a favor. Now I'm all excited to look at The Auction Zip Nada Nothing is real site again with fresh eyes. Will there still be layers of forgeries ? Is Saco the only trusted dealer on the platform? Why would Saco use a site with that reputation? Are they better than Philippines Bay? Is anybody as bad as Philippines bay? Why O why O why? I would not want my Babe Ruth Autograph on a Hotel Receipt. It's just fishy with or without the cert.

If you start from the place that just about every cut or item like that is fake, throw in Auction Zip & that's just a tough hurdle to get over. Good luck in any case.

Yastrzemski Sports
02-05-2019, 07:31 AM
One of my local auction houses uses zip to post when they have auctions as do many others. It’s a great site for searching the area to see if anyone has sports related items coming up for sale. I just started looking at their selling page and I am going to stay away from that.

whitey19thcentury
02-05-2019, 08:59 AM
I love Auction Zip for its original, and main, purpose which is for auctioneers to advertise sales. For someone whose family has been in the antiques industry for 40+ years, this service is awesome. You can search for auctions by either distance from your house or what they have listed.
Granted, I havent looked through pages where it lists items for sale and the only online bidding auctions I search through are those within a reasonable driving distance for me since some auction companies still won't ship.
To say that everything on auction zip is fake is a pretty drastic statement since local auctioneers selling poultry, glassware, etc in firehalls would be included in that statement since, technically, photos of items in an upcoming sale are posted on auctionzip.

drcy
02-05-2019, 10:36 AM
There have been legitimate auctioneers, such as Scott Gaynor, who have used zip.

Fuddjcal
02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
I love Auction Zip for its original, and main, purpose which is for auctioneers to advertise sales. For someone whose family has been in the antiques industry for 40+ years, this service is awesome. You can search for auctions by either distance from your house or what they have listed.
Granted, I havent looked through pages where it lists items for sale and the only online bidding auctions I search through are those within a reasonable driving distance for me since some auction companies still won't ship.
To say that everything on auction zip is fake is a pretty drastic statement since local auctioneers selling poultry, glassware, etc in firehalls would be included in that statement since, technically, photos of items in an upcoming sale are posted on auctionzip.

Thanks for the info. For Autograph purposes, all forgeries in all situations, all the time had been my experience. I honestly would not go any further with the website for fake steroid laden poultry or fake antique glassware. :D:D Don't need it myself as I would not enrich the site due to what has been my experience regarding autographs in the past. You all bring up legitimate good points about it though.

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-05-2019, 07:07 PM
One of my local auction houses uses zip to post when they have auctions as do many others. It’s a great site for searching the area to see if anyone has sports related items coming up for sale. I just started looking at their selling page and I am going to stay away from that.

Thank you.