PDA

View Full Version : My very first article in SMR!

vthobby
01-28-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty excited. The February SMR magazine just arrived and my 1961 Fleer Basketball Signed Set is featured in a rather long article with some great pics of my favorite cards in my set! Sorry if you can't read it all, I'm a lousy photographer! :)

What started out as a starter set on this very board from Board member:
Jerry G aka: Jerry Gal.le.ano
became a 2.5 year obsession and passion for me, the set was awarded Best Signed Set on the entire PSA/DNA registry for 2018, and now this really cool article!

I only need 1 card still! Card #7 Carl Braun and I'm hoping the article will entice someone to email me with a lead! Thanks Jerry for getting me started on this incredible set!

Here is a very clear link for reading: https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9767/psa-set-registry-chasing-ghosts-legends-one-collectors-hunt-autographed-1961-fleer-basketball-cards
Peace, Mike

BruceinGa
01-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Nice!!

biggsdaddycool
01-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurtisFlood
01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
I think that is fantastic. Big props to you for all the effort to complete this tough set.

DerekMichael
01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
That is beautiful! Congrats!

Yastrzemski Sports
01-28-2019, 06:58 PM
I still have the smr sealed over on the chair. Exciting to be acquainted with the owner of such a great collection. I look forward to reading. Congrats.

Bicem
01-28-2019, 07:01 PM
Very cool, congrats!

What's the Taladay collection by the way?

Rhotchkiss
01-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Awesome, congratulations. You need to sign the SMR!!

mrvster
01-28-2019, 07:50 PM
wow just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

vthobby
01-28-2019, 07:52 PM
wow just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Thanks Johnny and everyone else! It truly is an amazing piece of history and has been a pleasure to track down!

Peace, Mike

Peter_Spaeth
01-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Great achievement.

Speaking of Wilt autos, the prices on some of the "certified" autos are unbelievable. I guess they must have been very limited.

Russell, on the other hand, who as a player and for decades afterwards apparently NEVER signed anything, became a prolific signer. His certified autos are mostly quite inexpensive.

I was actually at the first public event, or so it was represented, where Russell signed. It was a late 90s show at a Boston school. Wilt was there too. And yours truly was too cheap to buy a signed basketball lol.

vthobby
01-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Great achievement.

Speaking of Wilt autos, the prices on some of the "certified" autos are unbelievable. I guess they must have been very limited.

Russell, on the other hand, who as a player and for decades afterwards apparently NEVER signed anything, became a prolific signer. His certified autos are mostly quite inexpensive.

I was actually at the first public event, or so it was represented, where Russell signed. It was a late 90s show at a Boston school. Wilt was there too. And yours truly was too cheap to buy a signed basketball lol.

I would have LOVED to be at that Wilt show. I'll bet Russell autos at that show were through the roof! I have met him a few times at the Shriner's Show in Mass along with Big O and had them sign their cards right in front of me. That was an incredible experience!

Thanks for the memories Peter. I want to build a time machine and go back and get Wilt in person! Any others like that idea? :)

Peace, Mike

Peter_Spaeth
01-28-2019, 08:11 PM
I think it was $300 for a jointly signed ball, but it was a long time ago so that's my best guess only. I don't recall an option of just getting one of them to sign. I thought about it then said nah too much. LOL.

They were sitting at a table together near the entrance, they did seem to both be enjoying it. I am pretty sure it was BC High, which used to be a big show. Lots of national dealers. I have no doubt that in hindsight whatever I bought that day pales compared to a Russell Wilt signed ball.

scooter729
01-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Your memory is pretty accurate - it was BC High, I would guess about 1995, and was thinking $350 for the joint-signed ball.

It was mind-blowing at that time for Russell to do a signing. This was a person whom I assumed I'd never have his autograph - the stories were legendary of how he wouldn't even sign an autograph for his friends and teammates. Glad he had such a change of heart - he is an icon for many reasons, and truly did seem to enjoy the interactions with (and adulation from) fans. Understandable that he acted as he did, based on how he was treated in the 1960s, but glad to be fortunate enough to meet him a few times in recent years.

I think it was $300 for a jointly signed ball, but it was a long time ago so that's my best guess only. I don't recall an option of just getting one of them to sign. I thought about it then said nah too much. LOL.

They were sitting at a table together near the entrance, they did seem to both be enjoying it. I am pretty sure it was BC High, which used to be a big show. Lots of national dealers. I have no doubt that in hindsight whatever I bought that day pales compared to a Russell Wilt signed ball.

Jerry G
01-28-2019, 08:42 PM
Wow! That is terrific. Raise your hand Carl Braun!

I have actually been thinking of contacting you lately. When I started the project I kept a log of dates that I mailed the cards and when or if they were returned to me. Nothing fancy, just handwritten notes. The varied return times are interesting, but probably more importation to the collection, it would document the time frame in which the cards were signed. I'm not exactly sure where they are, but if you are interested, I'm sure I could find them for you.

KCRfan1
01-28-2019, 10:54 PM
So cool! Congratulations!

vthobby
01-29-2019, 03:46 AM

I have actually been thinking of contacting you lately. When I started the project I kept a log of dates that I mailed the cards and when or if they were returned to me. Nothing fancy, just handwritten notes. The varied return times are interesting, but probably more importation to the collection, it would document the time frame in which the cards were signed. I'm not exactly sure where they are, but if you are interested, I'm sure I could find them for you.

Yes!

Thanks Jerry once again and to all who have sent me kudos!

Peace, Mike

rjackson44
01-29-2019, 05:46 AM
Terrific

jb67
01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Outstanding article. Congrats and well deserved!

Jerry G
02-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Hey, Mike. Todd Tobias did a wonderful job on the SMR article! When I saw the cards I felt like I was visiting with some old friends. One that I thought I would never see was the Walter Dukes. When I saw that I was totally mesmerized! Way to go, Mike.

I found your phone calls with Mr. and Mrs. John McCarthy entertaining. Mainly, because of being an old St. Louis Hawks fan and the address that I had for him was only about 20 minutes from my house. I mailed cards to him twice with no response. I debated knocking on his door and asking for a signature, but refrained.

As I mentioned before, the only thing keeping me from feeling the monster of seller's remorse is that I was able to upgrade my all time favorite set, 1933 Goudey to minimum VG. Real happy with that.

I am truly thrilled for your achievement, Mike. Find that Carl Braun!

Leon
02-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Great stories and collecting. (and congrats, Mike)

Hey, Mike. Todd Tobias did a wonderful job on the SMR article! When I saw the cards I felt like I was visiting with some old friends. One that I thought I would never see was the Walter Dukes. When I saw that I was totally mesmerized! Way to go, Mike.

I found your phone calls with Mr. and Mrs. John McCarthy entertaining. Mainly, because of being an old St. Louis Hawks fan and the address that I had for him was only about 20 minutes from my house. I mailed cards to him twice with no response. I debated knocking on his door and asking for a signature but, refrained.

As I mentioned before, the only thing keeping me from feeling the monster of seller's remorse is that I was able to upgrade my all time favorite set, 1933 Goudey to minimum VG. Real happy with that.

I am truly thrilled for your achievement, Mike. Find that Carl Braun!

vthobby
02-05-2019, 07:51 PM

Jerry,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for your original notes! I received them today and I am so happy to have them to put with my detailed notes on the provenance of many of the cards in my signed set.

I love your last paragraph from the note you sent me that references how you appreciate sharing these stories with me because your wife and friends could not give a "XXXXXXXXX" well......you know what you wrote! lol :)

Thanks Jerry once again for all your help. What a journey! You are a big part of it!

Take care my friend!

Peace, Mike

swabie2424
02-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Got my copy last week and read this article in its entirety. It was awesome (and I’m not even a basketball collector!). Congrats. These type of collecting adventures and articles are what makes the hobby great!!!

vthobby
02-23-2019, 04:08 AM
Thanks to all the kudos, it is appreciated! I just got in the mail today a nice unexpected "gift". A signed copy of the magazine article by the author Todd Tobias! It will make for a nice quirky bookend for my signed complete 1961 set!

Almost complete I must say....still looking for a signed 1961 Fleer #7 Carl Braun with solid provenance or already slabbed by PSA/DNA, SGC, or Beckett. GENEROUS finders fee! :)

Peace, "Pap" :cool:

clydepepper
02-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Amazing Mike! Congratulations!

I hope you find a Braun soon.

rjackson44
02-25-2019, 09:16 AM
love these stories