PDA

View Full Version : The BVG internal sleeve

jchcollins
01-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Unless I come across more just really great deals, I think I'm done buying anymore Beckett graded cards.

The internal sleeve is such a piece of $h*t. For the 2nd time in as many weeks today, I've cracked a newly arrived card out of a BVG slab - not because I'm interested in submitting with another TPG, not because the case was damaged - but only because the damn internal sleeve had a fleck of dust / something inside of it which made it look like there were issues with the card that there actually weren't.

Today's example was a NM '72 Yastrzemski which looked like it had print snow on part of the black background. Noooope - just a dirty internal sleeve. It's now looking much better in a fresh top loader and a clean penny sleeve. :mad:

vintagebaseballcardguy
01-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Unless I come across more just really great deals, I think I'm done buying anymore Beckett graded cards.

The internal sleeve is such a piece of $h*t. For the 2nd time in as many weeks today, I've cracked a newly arrived card out of a BVG slab - not because I'm interested in submitting with another TPG, not because the case was damaged - but only because the damn internal sleeve had a fleck of dust / something inside of it which made it look like there were issues with the card that there actually weren't.

Today's example was a NM '72 Yastrzemski which looked like it had print snow on part of the black background. Noooope - just a dirty internal sleeve. It's now looking much better in a fresh top loader and a clean penny sleeve. :mad:

Nothing wrong with an ungraded card anyway, John...especially for a set. That little Beckett sleeve you are talking about adds a tricky little extra step when cracking out a card for sure. The desk specks are irritating.

jchcollins
01-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Nothing wrong with an ungraded card anyway, John...especially for a set. That little Beckett sleeve you are talking about adds a tricky little extra step when cracking out a card for sure. The desk specks are irritating.

Part of the problem is they don't use a super thin high sheen sleeve like normal penny sleeves I use with top loaders. They have to have a border / shelf for it inside for the cards before they go into the hard plastic slabs, so the sleeve they use is slightly thicker, somewhat reminiscent to me of a 1980's album page thickness. Because of this imperfections in the material are magnified, I think. Something you can't really see when the sleeve is new gets pressed against an area of a card that is dark and suddenly it makes it look like the card has print snow when it really doesn't.

pclpads
01-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Internal or "infernal?" :D