PDA

View Full Version : Good Centering Guide

jchcollins
01-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Ever seen someone list a card as 60/40 and then you look at the scan and it's more like 85/15? Yeah turns out many sellers and even some honest collectors have poor judgment when it comes to accurately decscribing O/C proportions. I found this guide online which I think is pretty good and thought I would share:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/897961/a-guide-to-centering

What's also cool is at the bottom of this is a guide for different grades / grading standards and what the corresponding centering tolerances are for each grade. This would be helpful for many of those "I've seen worse centered cards that don't have the qualifer!" comments that I see all over the place - not so much here in N54, but on many other collecting groups on social media. Happy reading...

Throttlesteer
01-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Great link. Although, I would question whether the centering standards still align with the associated grades. I haven't seen a Mint 9 come from a TPG with 60/40 centering recently. Maybe BGS, but only because centering was given an 8 or 8.5, only to have the other subgrades pull it up.

jchcollins
01-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Great link. Although, I would question whether the centering standards still align with the associated grades. I haven't seen a Mint 9 come from a TPG with 60/40 centering recently. Maybe BGS, but only because centering was given an 8 or 8.5, only to have the other subgrades pull it up.

It's good in that it gives examples on the card drawings of how 70/30 is different than 60/40, and so on and so forth. I think most people think they can eyeball it, but if you don't look at a reference every now and then, your perception can sometimes become skewed.

On your other point I will say that I have seen all of the major TPG's be lenient here and there with centering on cards that are otherwise strong examples of the grades they were given. Back centering is supposed to be even more lenient, but I've seen that taken too far as well. I have a '66 Koufax that looks great on the front, but is miscut on the back. Technically it should have the (MC) qualifier or be downgraded even more - but it's not. It's a straight PSA 6.

samosa4u
01-25-2019, 11:24 AM
I bookmarked that page a few years ago and I look at it from time-to-time. It's really good!

JohnnyFinance7
01-25-2019, 05:17 PM
This guide is very helpful. Thank you very much for sharing.

BruceinGa
01-27-2019, 01:58 PM
I bought two a couple of weeks ago. The seller is a board member here and will give us a discount!

jchcollins
01-28-2019, 06:53 AM
I bought two a couple of weeks ago. The seller is a board member here and will give us a discount!

Bought what?

BruceinGa
01-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Bought what?

Grademaster Card Centering Tool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trading-Sports-Card-Centering-Tool-for-PSA-BGS-GAI-Chance-at-a-PSA-10/302271472583?hash=item4660c8a3c7:g:sIoAAOSwv-NWbire:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Seller is a member here and will give us a discount.