PDA

View Full Version : PWCC Auction #1 2019 (1948-62) - Thoughts?

vortep
01-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Hi folks

I am new to the trading card world, but dipping my toes into it. I participated in the PWCC auctions over the last couple of days, as my focus has been on both pre- and post-war cards up to but not including the 1980s.

I flamed out on the pre-war auctions, but had some degree of success securing a few cards from the '50s era.

How did you guys go and, if so, what was your take on the post-war results from PWCC's auction #1 from this era?

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Suitntieguy
01-16-2019, 04:18 PM
The cards I was tracking, which was mostly mid-grade mantles and high grade HOFers, by and large went for insane dollars. Example, I bought a 56 aaron PSA 6 a month ago for $230, passed on one for $237. Last night @ PWCC it went for $370. My mouth was wide open in shock most of the night.

vortep
01-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Yeah, admittedly I'm a novice, but I'm a conscientious novice - I wasn't in the ballpark for correctly estimating values for higher end pre-war stuff that I was following (even if not bidding for).

Even for post-war stuff I struggled to understand some of the value differences, for example there were two Koufax (1955 Topps Sandy Koufax #123), one SGC 7 and one PSA 7. The PSA was designated a 3 eye appeal by PWCC and the SGC a 2, but the SGC one went for almost $2.7k and the PSA one for almost $4.3k. Based on the research I could find PSA7 '55 Koufax #123 was going for around $2.5k last year - so a jump to over $4k, even for something with great eye appeal was educational for me.

I'm not sure which is better value frankly! I guess I have a lot to learn.

STL1944
01-16-2019, 07:16 PM
It just takes two people really wanting a card to see some big price jumps.

PWCC does a great job with their photography and has a following of card buyers. I buy from them a couple of times a year in auctions but I find many of their cards sell for high.

I have personally found that if I am patient (and the card is not super rare), like a train or a bus, another one will come along. It is when I am in a hurry that I over pay.

As a side note, I have conducted 15-20 different transactions with members of this board and it has been a 100% positive experience. If you are really looking for a card, ask here in the for sale section...

Good luck in your collecting!

vortep
01-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Thanks STL1944, I see what you mean. I think maybe we saw that with the absolutely stunning 1971 Clemente #630 SGC 9 which went for over $11k tonight.

luciobar1980
01-17-2019, 10:24 AM
'56 Mantle PSA 4 for $1300? Wow. (it was "Premium Quality")

Johnny630
01-18-2019, 04:16 PM
I thought 50’s Stars did well in pwcc. 60’s have substantially softened.

ruth_rookie
01-20-2019, 07:55 PM
I sold 24 cards in this PWCC auction. It was the first time I have consigned with them, basically because I have seen folks pay outrageous prices for their cards and I had some I was looking to part with. Considering their low fees and crazy sale prices, I decided to give them a try. In a nutshell, I am VERY pleased with the results. For example, one of the cards they auctioned for me was a ‘59 Topps Willie Mays PSA 6. When I scrolled through all the PSA 6 Mays on eBay, there were several buy-it-now between $150 and $180. So I would’ve been happy with that and actually expected it. But it went for $269. Same on almost all the 24 cards I sent them. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the results and will definitely use them again. I could’ve listed that card on eBay for a year and never gotten anything close to $269. I don’t understand why someone would pay $100 more for the same card, but I sure am glad they did!!!