PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mel Stottlemyre.

Brian Van Horn
01-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Brutal day for passings with Mel Stottlemyre, Ray Sawyer (Dr. Hook "Cover of the Rolling Stone" among other hits) and Bob Kuechenberg.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/postgazette/obituary.aspx?n=mel-stottlemyre&pid=191257707

doug.goodman
01-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Ray Sawyer died two weeks ago.

Chris Counts
01-14-2019, 05:04 PM
I saw Mel Stottlemyre pitch when I was nine, and he seemed larger than life. He was the first legit ace I watched in person. RIP.

marzoumanian
01-14-2019, 05:19 PM
I grew up in New Jersey. The Mick was my hero. I started following the Yankees in 1967 and remember Mel pitching for some pretty bad Yankee teams.
Then in 1986 I took a NY Mets cruise just after they won the World Series. Mel was on that cruise, along with Tommy Agee, Lenny Dysktra, Bobby Ojeda, and a few others. Mel was playing basketball on the ship and hurt his ankle, as I recall.
Finally, I was at Yankee Stadium on Old Timers Day in 2015 when they surprised Mel with a plaque in Monument Park. His body was failing him by then but I know he was totally thrilled to be so honored because he said so!
Thanks, Mel. You were a class act. RIP.

Mark Arzoumanian
Chicago

Brian Van Horn
01-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Ray Sawyer died two weeks ago.

Doug,

My apologies, but Legacy didn't note it in my paper until today. They still haven't acknowledged the passing of Verna Bloom (High Plains Drifter and Mrs. Wormer in "Animal House" as well as Mary in "The Last Temptation of Christ").