PDA

View Full Version : '56 Clemente #33 - Original Photos?

jchcollins
01-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Just wondering - do any of you know if the original photos, Topps archives or whatever - likely in black and white - exist out there anywhere for the '56 Topps Roberto Clemente? If they do I would love to see them. I had been looking for the shots from the Mantle card for probably 20 years, and finally saw them for the first time late last year. Just think that kind of stuff is neat.

The head shot is obviously the same one used on Roberto's rookie card from the '55 set - but the action shot - does that exist in original form anywhere? Incredible catch up against the old right field wall in Brooklyn's Ebbets Field and the Esquire Boot Polish sign - that action shot and the eccentric mix of colors on this card due to that with the lettering in the background I suppose has been one of the reasons I've always been so intrigued by it.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
-John

rats60
01-12-2019, 02:40 PM
You can buy a copy here. I am sure the original is floating around somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-PIRATES-IN-HIS-PRIME-MAKES-LEAPING-CATCH-IN-THIS-ACTION-8x10/163378655476?hash=item260a2070f4:g:7MIAAOxyRhBS1G8 D:rk:5:pf:0

jchcollins
01-12-2019, 03:07 PM
You can buy a copy here. I am sure the original is floating around somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-PIRATES-IN-HIS-PRIME-MAKES-LEAPING-CATCH-IN-THIS-ACTION-8x10/163378655476?hash=item260a2070f4:g:7MIAAOxyRhBS1G8 D:rk:5:pf:0

Aaaaaah! Perfect. Thank you sir! Incredible photo and incredible card. Wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall in the Topps art dept. in 1956? Wow.

JollyElm
01-12-2019, 06:57 PM
Man, do those nooks in the wall indicate padding, or is that pure cement? The wear on the bottom looks like eroded concrete.

hcv123
01-12-2019, 07:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it was auctioned in the low 5 figures some years ago.

jchcollins
01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Man, do those nooks in the wall indicate padding, or is that pure cement? The wear on the bottom looks like eroded concrete.

One interesting thing is that the horizontal line about through the middle of "ESQUIRE" on that sign is a little indentation that's actually in the original photo. For awhile some time ago I wondered if it was a flaw on the card...but then I noticed they all have it.

IgnatiusJReilly
01-12-2019, 11:03 PM
One interesting thing is that the horizontal line about through the middle of "ESQUIRE" on that sign is a little indentation that's actually in the original photo. For awhile some time ago I wondered if it was a flaw on the card...but then I noticed they all have it.

Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCRfan1
01-13-2019, 12:43 AM

Looks like concrete to me.

VintageVinnie
01-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Beautiful photo of the great Clemente! Never saw that before. Does anyone have the photo from the '56 Mantle??

rats60
01-13-2019, 01:56 PM
REA sold the wire photo in 2017. It was from his rookie year when he was playing right field (DiMaggio was playing center).

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2017/fall/1957/1951-mickey-mantle-original-wire-photo-image-used-his-1956-topps-baseball-card/

VintageVinnie
01-13-2019, 05:01 PM
That's a beautiful photo! Thank you. I wonder if any of those fans realized they ended up on his '56 baseball card? Any idea where a copy would be available for sale?

JollyElm
01-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Anyone know if he actually made the grab? The link describes the pic as "in an attempt to make a catch."

bobw
01-13-2019, 06:56 PM
He didn't catch it....

Mickey Mantle Diving for Catch
(Original Caption) Yankee outfielder Mickey Mantle seemingly walking on air, keeps his mouth open as he leaps for a try at White Sox Ed Robinson's homer into the right field stands in the 7th inning of the September 20th clash at the stadium. Although Mickey made a valiant effort to pull down the ball, it sailed into the stands, giving the White Sox a tally and a lucky fan souvenir. The Yanks took the tilt, 5-4.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/yankee-outfielder-mickey-mantle-seemingly-walking-on-air-keeps-his-picture-id515364894

VintageVinnie
01-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Great stuff! Funny how the '56 card shows the ball in his glove!

jchcollins
01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
He didn't catch it....

(Original Caption) Yankee outfielder Mickey Mantle seemingly walking on air, keeps his mouth open as he leaps for a try at White Sox Ed Robinson's homer into the right field stands in the 7th inning of the September 20th clash at the stadium. Although Mickey made a valiant effort to pull down the ball, it sailed into the stands, giving the White Sox a tally and a lucky fan souvenir. The Yanks took the tilt, 5-4.

LOL, the '56 Topps version doesn't make The Mick appear quite so bug-eyed either...

SMPEP
01-14-2019, 03:16 PM
I love seeing these original photos - especially the action shots from 1956.

Oh and I'm always looking for 1952 Topps original photos. Some day I want to get all of them! But only about 1/4th are known and I bet MANY no longer exist today (because there are some very obscure players in that set).

Cheers,
Patrick

IgnatiusJReilly
01-14-2019, 10:36 PM
He didn't catch it....

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/yankee-outfielder-mickey-mantle-seemingly-walking-on-air-keeps-his-picture-id515364894

Thanks for sharing that! Very cool to see. How can a color parallel of a bowman chrome draft pick compare to the artistic quality of 1956 topps? I’m glad I figured out where to spend my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk