PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Handbook to Early Candy and Gum Baseball Issues by Egan

teza11
01-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Hi. Here's another flashback on card cataloging. This time 83 pages of "E" history with a focus on cards picturing baseball players. Issued by Richard Egan in 1969, supporting credit is issued to Wharton-Tigar, Nagy, and other card notables.

This is the first one I have seen. Is an original copy of the handbook considered common, rare, scarce?

Jeff

trdcrdkid
01-06-2019, 03:50 AM
It’s pretty scarce. I have a copy. It was intended as part of a new sports card catalog meant to replace the ACC, but this was the only part that Egan published in full before abandoning the project for personal reasons. Fragments of the projected catalog were later published in Sports Scoop and Sports Collectors News, and Egan condensed this into the section on gum and candy cards in the first edition of The Sports Collectors Bible (1975). John Stirling used some of Egan’s research for his Stirling Sports Card Catalog (1977). I started to write up a series of posts about Rich Egan, and may finish them one of these days.

Leon
01-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Here is some perspective on the subject. I would say original copies are very scarce. I have seen less than a handful in 20+ yrs. In a March letter posted, Egan says he is going to get burnt by not selling 100 copies and he is already 70 bucks in the hole. ..Of course what is in the link provided is a unique look into the making of the handbook.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144460

teza11
01-06-2019, 09:18 AM
David/Leon - thanks for the information. Great stuff! I noticed that the copy posted in the shared link is bound. Mine isn't. David is yours? I suspect that Leon's copy was bound with all the supporting letters at some later date.

Jeff