PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Price Guide Percentages per grade/era (Beckett)

Suitntieguy
12-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Hi All
Can someone post or provide a link. I tried to google it and can’t find it. I am looking for the standard percentages of listed price guide value (for raw cards) based on the grade and era.
Thanks in advance

swarmee
12-31-2018, 12:34 PM
There are no standard percentages anymore. There is eBay sold values. Don't use a price guide to price your cards. See what others have already sold for.

rjackson44
12-31-2018, 12:45 PM
John is right on take his advice

Suitntieguy
12-31-2018, 12:54 PM
There are no standard percentages anymore. There is eBay sold values. Don't use a price guide to price your cards. See what others have already sold for.

I get it and agree. I am working on something though and need what is printed in Beckett. Thanks

Bram99
12-31-2018, 12:59 PM
There are two free sources I know of, and one paid source for auction prices.
You can google-search for these:

1.) PSA Auction prices realized - free
2.) PWCC has a listing of auction prices realized on eBay, similar database to PSA's, but with other graders as well.

or
3.) the best one is Vintage Card Prices (VCP), which is a paid site. It has the most history including many other auction houses other than eBay listings, it sorts the results by PSA vs. SGC, vs. BVG as well, and gives averages by grade. It also has a nice feature where you can see the card image and so you might be able to find the last sale of not just a card in the grade but the specific serial number card that sold.

Tony

Suitntieguy
12-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys. But... I already have a paid membership to vcp. I am working on a project for raw cards and need that info. Anyone?

Bram99
12-31-2018, 05:56 PM
It’s an interesting question.

I have not seen a rule or guide as to how to do it but here’s the way I think the market works when it is efficient (when it has enough supply and demand to support regular sales on a given card).

I look at the card and make my own determination of the grade. Then I use the PSA/PWCC/VCP data on the card to come to a market price for that card in that grade (the grade that I believe the card is. My experience is that many sellers who will use “book value” in referring to a price guide will neglect to remember that the top book for a vintage card is roughly equivalent to a card in NM-Mt or “8” condition. So if they talk in discount to book, their discount may actually be a premium to the value of the card in that grade. Some sellers will want to wish the card is a better grade than it actually is. I almost always wish my cards are better than they are, and I am an infrequent seller.

Almost any seller selling a good number of raw vintage cards will know that a graded example of the same card in the same grade as a raw example should command a premium vs. the raw card due either to:
1. the relative certainty of the actual slabbed card grade vs the raw card where you don’t know what the TPG will grade it as, or
2. Simply the cost of grading the card at a TPG.

For one or both of these reasons, I apply an “uncertainty” or “grading cost” discount to the value in VCP.

The amount of discount could be anywhere from nothing on a low value common card to 1/4 or 1/3 of the VCP for a more expensive card.

I have become especially suspect of sellers who have high dollar stars that they are selling raw, especially if they have a mix of graded and raw. To me buying the high value card raw is too much of a risk for my tastes. The cynical conclusion i tend to make is that if the high dollar raw card were really high grade , that seller would be wiser to have it graded.

This is just one view from a long-time buyer/collector.

Tony

mintacular
12-31-2018, 06:35 PM
I think the op is referring to a chart in beckett that actually exists, whether it is accurate or not is not the question he is asking.

It goes something like this

1950s p-gd 5-15% vg-15-30% ex 30-50% exmt 60%-80% nm100%
1960s-80s p-gd 5-10% vg-10-20% ex 20-40% exmt 40-60% nm 80%

HercDriver
12-31-2018, 06:50 PM
I seem to remember the old Becket Guides used to say EX was 50% of NrMt, Vg was 30%, and F-P was 10%.

Good luck finding the info!
Geno

Suitntieguy
12-31-2018, 07:25 PM
I think the op is referring to a chart in beckett that actually exists, whether it is accurate or not is not the question he is asking.

It goes something like this

1950s p-gd 5-15% vg-15-30% ex 30-50% exmt 60%-80% nm100%
1960s-80s p-gd 5-10% vg-10-20% ex 20-40% exmt 40-60% nm 80%

That is exactly what I am I looking for. Are those the accurate percentages? Does anyone have a scan of what is printed?
Thanks so much

ullmandds
12-31-2018, 07:59 PM
Accurate percentages??? Not likely. But its in the format youre looking for!

bnorth
12-31-2018, 08:17 PM
This is from a 2008 Beckett.

Suitntieguy
12-31-2018, 08:43 PM
Thank you bnorth. That’s exactly it. :)

chalupacollects
01-01-2019, 08:49 AM
This is from a 2008 Beckett.

This chart is still the same in 2018 Beckett guides..