PDA

View Full Version : T206 Newbie with a question

KCRfan1
12-29-2018, 03:43 PM
I do not plan on collecting the entire set as finances and time will not permit this.

The cards I have been purchasing have been graded 2 or so, in what I consider nice condition. I am only 8 cards into the journey.

I want to treat myself and splurge about 300 to 350 towards a card or cards in the series. This isn't a lot of money to most, but it is to me.

My question is:

Do I look for a low grade, top HoF'r?

Look for a moderate HoF'r and buy a couple of them?

Buy a high grade common, since they are condition sensitive?

Buy what I have been all along, and resign the fact that I will never own any of the previous.

I love the cards from a hobby standpoint and I am also looking this as an investment long term.

Your thoughts and insight are appreciated.

Lou

freakhappy
12-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Hi there and good luck on your journey of t206 collecting...you’ve come to the right place [emoji119]

As far as your question goes...there is no right answer, it’s whatever feels right to you. I’d probably grab a few lower grade hofers because they should only rise in value over time. If you’d like a different back type, grab a hofer and a common with a tougher back of your liking...no wrong answer here imo. Good luck on your decision and hope you enjoy what you buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rats60
12-29-2018, 05:04 PM
I would buy 1 card. Top Hofers are increasing at a higher rate than mid tier or lower tier Hofers.

iwantitiwinit
12-29-2018, 05:09 PM
I dont even know if you could get a top tier hall of famer in psa 2 or even psa 1 for 300. Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Young, LaJoie portraits (might get a LaJoie non-portrait for 300 though) are not obtainable at that level anymore. Portraits on ebay of decent hall of famers are becoming scarcer and scarcer these days and if they are offered it is often at sky high prices. I'd try something like Chesbro and Bender in a 2 you might be able to get both for 350ish.

CobbSpikedMe
12-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Agreed that a top tier HOFer would be tough for 350 so a couple mid tier HOFers may be a good choice. Pick a couple that you like and will enjoy.

Fred
12-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Remember, this is just cardboard so don't look at it as an investment. These things can go either way in price so if you purchase something don't plan on having the ability to sell it for what you purchased the cards for (or more). If it turns out that way, great, but don't count on that.

That said, why not look for a couple of HOFers. If you're keeping with the theme of a grade of "2", then your definitely not going to find a Cobb and maybe not a Cy Young or Walter Johnson. You might find a Matty or Lajoie. Then there are "lesser" HOFers like Eddie Collins and others that you'll be able to find. Kind of weird to think of a player with over 3300 hits and a .333 lifetime average as "lesser" player, but that's where the market is on him.

If you haven't already checked trends, then I'd recommend you search T206 sales for HOFers on ebay to get an idea of what you can purchase in your price range.

Good luck!

Phillies*phan
12-29-2018, 07:52 PM
You can get more cards on a budget by not buying graded cards. I was just checking ebay and there's still plenty of originals in raw form. I never understood grading a card that's less than a 4 anyhow. Since you find the "2" level appealing just buy them raw. More fun to play with too. You will become totally addicted and try for the 520. Just a few years and you'll be there. Good luck!

KCRfan1
12-29-2018, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your insights.

Lou

JohnP0621
12-29-2018, 09:32 PM
You may also want to look at a few of the tough variations
Like Dahlen Brooklyn or Lundgren Chicago. You may be able to pick up both in a grade 2 in around your budget.

Good Luck
Regards
John P

mrvster
12-29-2018, 11:19 PM
far.....see if you can get a few more bucks and get a cobb.....

like ruth, mantle, cobb should retain or appreciate in the future.....:) plus, they have been on fire

you could even get an AUTH for $700 or $800:)

KCRfan1
12-29-2018, 11:35 PM
far.....see if you can get a few more bucks and get a cobb.....

like ruth, mantle, cobb should retain or appreciate in the future.....:) plus, they have been on fire

you could even get an AUTH for $700 or $800:)

I am seriously looking at this option.