PDA

View Full Version : PSA holders

pwang100
12-28-2018, 02:35 PM
I have a card in a PSA holder. It looks like inside the holder, there is a plastic sleeve, kinda like a penny sleeve? I have other PSA holders that do not have interior sleeve-like characteristics. Does anyone know the difference between the two styles?

Thanks

-Phil

swarmee
12-28-2018, 02:50 PM
PSA uses the mylar sleeve if they are worried the card will get damaged by floating around in the slab. Even though they provide better protection, most people dislike them because they make the slab harder to photograph nicely.

pwang100
12-28-2018, 03:17 PM
PSA uses the mylar sleeve if they are worried the card will get damaged by floating around in the slab. Even though they provide better protection, most people dislike them because they make the slab harder to photograph nicely.Is there some rhyme or reason to which cards they do this to? Because I have another '33 Goudey that doesn't have the sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

swarmee
12-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Is there some rhyme or reason to which cards they do this to? Because I have another '33 Goudey that doesn't have the sleeve.
Depends on the slabber and the card itself; you can also request "no mylar baggies" on the submission form, but the PSA grader/slabber may do it anyways if they are worried about additional damage to the card while it's slabbed. The Ruth looks fragile, which is probably why it got the mylar bag treatment.

pwang100
12-28-2018, 03:33 PM
Depends on the slabber and the card itself; you can also request "no mylar baggies" on the submission form, but the PSA grader/slabber may do it anyways if they are worried about additional damage to the card while it's slabbed. The Ruth looks fragile, which is probably why it got the mylar bag treatment.Thank you, very informative!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The-Cardfather
12-30-2018, 05:27 AM
PSA won't honor any requests for no mylar sleeves. Below is an excerpt from an e-mail I received from their customer service manager in September of 2016.

"PSA places cards in Mylar Sleeves to preserve the grade of the card, if we feel it may shift inside the holder. We have many different types of holders but some cards don’t always fit the dimensions. We are required to do this as our company's work is based on the grading of cards and thus, the preservation of that grade within the holder. With that said, we have the right to place a card in a Mylar Sleeve if we feel it is best for the card. Furthermore, with the volume of cards we encapsulate on a daily basis, it is not feasible to check the notes left about specific instructions on Mylar Sleeve requests. That department works hard to make sure collectibles are preserved and well-maintained inside our holders per our company policy. The customer service department has attempted to meet your requests, but our sealing department has their own standards to uphold. So, with all due respect, we can no longer meet your written request of encapsulating cards without a Mylar Sleeve........due to your undesirability of the Mylar Sleeves. I apologize if this is not understandable or upsetting. It is not my intention to push our customer base away."

tcalca24
12-30-2018, 07:37 AM
Do the slabs offer any UV protection? I would think that’s an easy way to help protect the grade of the card as well?