PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone, just joined and wanted to introduce myself.

I grew up in the 80's and my older brother got me into card collecting, and '87 Topps was the first thing I ever collected. Inevitably I got into vintage once I started getting some extra cash to spend.

I'm just a Johnny Bench away from completing my 1968 and 69 Topps sets, and otherwise need to finish my 1970 and 72 sets to finish a 1968-90 Topps run.

My main project is the T205 set I started working on a couple years ago. I'm at 101/208 but the good news is that I have all of the HOF, short print and minor leaguers, so I only have the commons to chip away at. It's basically a p/f/g set with a few VG's. Probably will take me a couple more years to complete, but it's gonna happen!

Oh and before I forget - Go Cubs! :D

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Oh and before I forget - Go Cubs! :D

Go Cubs indeed! Cubs fan in NC here. Although I've been less than thrilled with them this offseason. :(

I just got one of my first poswar Cubs cards earlier this month, actually - a T205 3-Finger Brown. Welcome and happy collecting!

BruceinGa
12-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Welcome!

orioles70
12-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Welcome...always nice to have another T205 set collector on board

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rare Stuff
12-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Go Cubs indeed! Cubs fan in NC here. Although I've been less than thrilled with them this offseason. :(

I just got one of my first poswar Cubs cards earlier this month, actually - a T205 3-Finger Brown. Welcome and happy collecting!
Welcome. I also have a T205 Mordecai Browm with an Honest Long Cut back. What are the rare backs in the T205’s ?

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 11:33 AM

Yep, seems like they need to make move or two but they've been pretty quiet. You probably already know about it, but Bleacher Nation is a great site.

Cool on your T205 Brown. Mine is a PSA 3. I'd like to pick up some T206 Cubs too but seems like they're getting really expensive lately..

Leon
12-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Welcome. I also have a T205 Mordecai Browm with an Honest Long Cut back. What are the rare backs in the T205’s ?

Mainly Drum and Hindu on the rare backs for T205. There are other scarcities but those are the really valuable and tough ones.

And welcome aboard to T205Cub!!

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 11:35 AM

I'd check out T205.org.. They have a valuation tool where you can put in the card, condition and back advertisement and it gives you the value.. Pretty good place to start IMO.

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Yep, seems like they need to make move or two but they've been pretty quiet. You probably already know about it, but Bleacher Nation is a great site.

Cool on your T205 Brown. Mine is a PSA 3. I'd like to pick up some T206 Cubs too but seems like they're getting really expensive lately..

I was referring to the Russell situation. Stupid front office desision...

My Brown is a SGC 2 in the new holder. A corner crease but otherwise very presentable. You are right, T206's all over the place anymore are more expensive than drugs. Sorry but I'm not paying $400 for a Joe Tinker card. I'm mostly into post-war...

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 12:12 PM

My Brown is a SGC 2 in the new holder. A corner crease but otherwise very presentable. You are right, T206's all over the place anymore are more expensive than drugs. Sorry but I'm not paying $400 for a Joe Tinker card. I'm mostly into post-war...

Oh, yes.. I agree with you on that. Hard to root for that guy given what's come out. Any time he comes up to bat, you know what we'll all be thinking about. Best thing is to cut ties, I think.

I'd like to have more T206's but seems I missed the boat. So I'm sticking with my T205 collection and calling it good.. Unless prices soften which doesn't seem too likely.. I do have the T206 portraits of Lajoie, Waddell and Keeler that I bought a few years ago, but that's it. So I'll enjoy those.

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 12:28 PM

I like post war stuff too. I want to do a 1956 Topps set someday.. One of my favorite Topps designs and without any tough rookies or scarce high numbers, seems like it should be relatively easy to complete.

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 12:41 PM
I like post war stuff too. I want to do a 1956 Topps set someday.. One of my favorite Topps designs and without any tough rookies or scarce high numbers, seems like it should be relatively easy to complete.

I've been saying I'm doing '56 Topps for 20 years now. I have the Mantle and Ted Williams but other than that have not made much headway w/ the commons. The Clemente from that set is going nowhere but up; I'd say now would be the time to try to get a nice one if I'm going to. But yes you are right, the rest of the set in mid- or lower grade should be fairly easy to put together.

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 01:06 PM
I've been saying I'm doing '56 Topps for 20 years now. I have the Mantle and Ted Williams but other than that have not made much headway w/ the commons. The Clemente from that set is going nowhere but up; I'd say now would be the time to try to get a nice one if I'm going to. But yes you are right, the rest of the set in mid- or lower grade should be fairly easy to put together.

Funny you say that because I think it's literally been about 20 years I've been saying that, too, lol. The Williams was the first one I bought back in the late 90's. I don't have it anymore, though.

Maybe once my T205 set is done - or next time I take a break from it, I can get a start on the 56's. That project has everything else on hold..

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Funny you say that because I think it's literally been about 20 years I've been saying that, too, lol. The Williams was the first one I bought back in the late 90's. I don't have it anymore, though.

Maybe once my T205 set is done - or next time I take a break from it, I can get a start on the 56's. That project has everything else on hold..

If I could bear down over the next 5 years or so and get the rest of the Hall of Famers in mid-grade, it would be a lot easier to finish the commons after that.

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 01:19 PM
If I could bear down over the next 5 years or so and get the rest of the Hall of Famers in mid-grade, it would be a lot easier to finish the commons after that.

I had a really good start around 1999, last year in college, had an on-campus job so had a few bucks saved up for a starter set. I had nearly all the commons, the Williams I mentioned, the Koufax and a low grade Mantle.

Then I graduated, got married and work was tough to find for a while so had to sell it all. But I'll make it happen someday for sure.

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 01:37 PM
I had a really good start around 1999, last year in college, had an on-campus job so had a few bucks saved up for a starter set. I had nearly all the commons, the Williams I mentioned, the Koufax and a low grade Mantle.

Then I graduated, got married and work was tough to find for a while so had to sell it all. But I'll make it happen someday for sure.

LOL we are the same age then. '99 was my final year of college too. I got back into cards that year after finding some random (and I'm sure now non-existant) online auctions. That summer after graduation I found eBay and it was all over...

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 01:54 PM
LOL we are the same age then. '99 was my final year of college too. I got back into cards that year after finding some random (and I'm sure now non-existant) online auctions. That summer after graduation I found eBay and it was all over...

Cool. Yeah eBay is dangerous lol. I often gripe about the way it is now compared to back then (signed up in '97) but it still is probably the easiest place to find stuff. Too easy sometimes... But was interested in this community.. I was lurking and reading for a while and decided it was worthwhile to just join.

I got into autograph collecting mid-2000's and was out of cards completely for about 5 years. Literally had zero cards at one point but got back into it hard core about 2013-14 or so. I was hanging with my brother and we started talking cards, and got fired up to collect again. Tends to happen.. I've had that effect on him too, lol.

trambo
12-28-2018, 01:58 PM
the t205 set is a fun journey to be sure! I'm lucky enough to have a complete master set and am now upgrading quite a bit. Seems to be never ending! Very fun but never ending!!!

Welcome to the group!!

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 02:11 PM
the t205 set is a fun journey to be sure! I'm lucky enough to have a complete master set and am now upgrading quite a bit. Seems to be never ending! Very fun but never ending!!!

Welcome to the group!!

Nice! Not many can accomplish that, so major kudos to you.

I'll never be able to complete the true master set but I'll definitely do the base set and knowing myself, I will probably get all the front variations like the Dougherty white and red sock, etc. Very fun set for sure. It's a challenge but am glad I decided to do it.