PDA

View Full Version : Should I be pissed???

Big Six
12-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Picked up a 1954 Topps Ted Williams #1 in PSA 6 from Kit Young Cards last week via eBay. Found out today, they can’t find the card and don’t know where it is. Not sure how you lose a $500 card but what a terrible first impression. To their credit they promptly cancelled my purchase but I am not happy right now. This ever happen to anyone else? M@tt McC@rthy

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181222/47019a89e0488d778073d2e4c3d732d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowderedH2O
12-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Stuff happens. Kit Young has been in the business for decades. I'm sure this was just an honest mistake. Guys with 30-40 years of selling aren't the type to purposely screw somebody over usually.

swarmee
12-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Yes, you can be pissed. I ordered a pallet full of 250 uncut sheets from krukcards one time, and they couldn't locate that in their warehouse. So losing a single card (or selling and forgetting to pull from eBay) is not too surprising.
Not much you can do about it.

trambo
12-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Disappointed, sure. Pissed? Probably not. It happened to me once on an ebay purchase from a pretty big ebay card seller. I've purchased stuff from them since and no issues. Stuff happens so I'd just roll with it.

Rich Falvo
12-21-2018, 06:07 PM
It happens, especially if they have a store or also sell at shows. Happened to me once and I got a prompt refund.

commishbob
12-21-2018, 06:18 PM
It happens, especially if they have a store or also sell at shows. Happened to me once and I got a prompt refund.

Ditto...I got a refund and a voucher for a future discount. I was disappointed but very few card deals are one time things that will never come along again.

Republicaninmass
12-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Deans card does it all the time, then Relists higher.

I think this was just an honest mistake, I wouldn't be upset

Big Six
12-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys...I figured as much. Guess more disappointed than pissed. Oh well...I’ll find another...Merry Christmas everyone!

rainier2004
12-21-2018, 06:30 PM
I really doubt K Young did anything nefarious and was an honest mistake, Ive never heard of him not following through on a deal. Id be irritated if I thought they did it on purpose, just doubt that's the case here...just means you'll find a better one.

CobbSpikedMe
12-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Agreed that disappointed would be a better response than pissed. Kit is a good guy and a long time dealer with a huge inventory. I could see him making a mistake like this but totally innocently. I bought my first prewar cards from Kit years ago and was very happy with the deal.

Fred
12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Picked up a 1954 Topps Ted Williams #1 in PSA 6 from Kit Young Cards last week via eBay. Found out today, they can’t find the card and don’t know where it is. Not sure how you lose a $500 card but what a terrible first impression. To their credit they promptly cancelled my purchase but I am not happy right now. This ever happen to anyone else? M@tt McC@rthy

Matt, you can be pissed, a lot of people would definitely be disappointed, but Kit Young has been around a long time and has always been a reputable dealer. If they say it's lost, then I'm pretty sure it's probably just lost.

The card isn't rare so you'll be able to find another. The money was refunded so it's just a bit of a hassle to keep on looking. You might even find a nicer deal on it.

Good luck!

Peter_Spaeth
12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Easy card to find, don't waste any negative energy, probably just an inventory glitch.

insidethewrapper
12-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Glad to see Kit Young is selling cards that are graded instead of relying on his grading system which has always been overestimated.

Fred
12-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Agreed that disappointed would be a better response than pissed. Kit is a good guy and a long time dealer with a huge inventory. I could see him making a mistake like this but totally innocently. I bought my first prewar cards from Kit years ago and was very happy with the deal.

I'm pretty sure Kit doesn't handle the inventory and daily operations like pulling orders and verifying inventory, etc. But the point is right, he's a good guy and his company has been in business a long time for a good reason.

Shoeless Moe
12-21-2018, 07:19 PM
never trust a guy named after a car driven by David Hasselhoff!

clydepepper
12-21-2018, 07:19 PM
For all the bad things we say about EBAY, their buyer protection policy is, IMO, a positive. I've been on both sides (though almost entirely as a buyer) and have no complaints.

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

-Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Good News! Just 50 or so days away:

egbeachley
12-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Disappointed? Sure.

Pissed? That would be a reflection of you.

aloondilana
12-21-2018, 07:40 PM
It happens.
Kit young is a very well respected dealer.
I'm sure he honestly misplaced it. He deals with hundreds of cards, it can happen very easily.
I'm sure he would not hold back on that deal, trust me. $500 dollar deal isn't that big of a deal for him.
Look on the bright side, you are looking for a card that is literally all over the place. I'm sure it won't take you long to find another 54 TOPPS Ted in a Psa 6

pokerplyr80
12-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Easy card to find, don't waste any negative energy, probably just an inventory glitch.

I agree. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a similar card at a fair price.

Promethius88
12-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Yes, you can be pissed. I ordered a pallet full of 250 uncut sheets from krukcards one time, and they couldn't locate that in their warehouse. So losing a single card (or selling and forgetting to pull from eBay) is not too surprising.

Several years ago my father was buying 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 8's like they were candy. One came from Kruk and was way off center. Not anything like what was pictured in the auction. Said they must have accidentally sent that one to someone else. No offer to remedy the situation as they claimed it was still a PSA 8. That was when they were only about $500-$600.

swarmee
12-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Hey Tim, saw some of your nice pack break slots on vintagebreaks. Were you the one who got the 8.5 back on a Civil War News?
I have had great luck with Kit Young in the past; one of my best purchases was their complete T51 set in EX average condition for $900, and I got a White Back 1956 Mantle from them earlier this year.

I wouldn't be angry at Kit for this mistake either, but telling the OP that it's okay to feel that way. I would be more disappointed than upset, unless I thought it was fraudulent. I don't believe this to be the case in either this transaction or the one I had with kruk. Although it's amazing to wonder where a pallet of uncut sheets walked off to.

mrvster
12-21-2018, 10:05 PM
I hope it shows up:)

Wite3
12-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Kit is good people, and if it turns up, he will most likely contact you first about the purchase. Relax...

Joshua

robw1959
12-22-2018, 12:08 PM
I've dealt with Kit a couple of times. Perhaps about eight years ago I bought a raw Walter Johnson T206 portrait that was advertised as VG, but only came back graded a 2 after I sent it in to PSA. So I contacted them about it and was authorized to return it for a refund even after a couple of months had passed since the sale. Very good to deal with.

Griffins
12-22-2018, 02:27 PM
I had this happen with a purchase from Kit a few years ago. He immediately called me himself to apologize. We ended up chatting for a while, turns out we both had the same 2nd grade teacher- she was young when he was in her class, middle age when I was, but it was a nice conversation and I was quite sure the card was an honest mistake.

ls7plus
12-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Stuff happens. Kit Young has been in the business for decades. I'm sure this was just an honest mistake. Guys with 30-40 years of selling aren't the type to purposely screw somebody over usually.

+1. Kit has been a legend in the hobby for at least 3 and a half decades. I ordered a 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit (Arco--sp?) Ted Williams in SGC NrMt+ last year, and the card arrived with the bottom of the SGC holder loose, which may or may not have done some very, very slight damage to the left lower bottom of the card when someone obviously dropped it. I was pissed for a moment and thought of returning it, but then I thought, "where am I going to find another?" While Adam states in his book on Exhibits that this issue remains rather readily available, this is simply not true with regard to the HOF'ers in the set. I monitor those with a continuing search on ebay, and almost every one that has shown up is a common, with the same one's popping up over and over. The elite HOF'ers have essentially been completely absorbed into permanent collections. My personal opinion is that there were a very small number of sample sets made by Arco and sent out to solicit licensing from such other companies as Bond Bread. They may well turn out to be some of the very rarest examples of the HOF'ers they feature ever.

In any event, yes, I would cut Kit Young some slack--he's done a lot to promote the hobby since the very early days!

Happy holidays,

Larry

glynparson
12-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Why get “possessed” over an honest mistake. And that’s what it clearly seems like to me and I can easily see an operation of their size misplacing a card like that or possibly selling in one venue and failing to remove from another. It’s clearly a case where I can see be disappointed but why get pissed. It’s not worth the anger.

Big Six
12-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Disappointed? Sure.

Pissed? That would be a reflection of you.

See post #8. Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Six
12-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Why get “possessed” over an honest mistake. And that’s what it clearly seems like to me and I can easily see an operation of their size misplacing a card like that or possibly selling in one venue and failing to remove from another. It’s clearly a case where I can see be disappointed but why get pissed. It’s not worth the anger.

Wow...see post #8. Hardly “possessed” and definitely over it. Frankly, had never done business with Kit Young before and was asking if this was something anyone else had experienced. Some dealers don’t have great reputations and do stuff like reneging on deals as a common business practice. Sounds like Kit Young is a good dealer and this is just an unfortunate anomaly. No one died and like others have said, I’ll surely find another ‘54 Williams. Merry Christmas to you...

egbeachley
12-22-2018, 09:48 PM
See post #8. Thanks...

By “You”, I meant anyone who would go to that level. Not you personally.

Sean
12-23-2018, 04:39 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181222/47019a89e0488d778073d2e4c3d732d8.jpg

I've dealt with Kit Young a few times and always had a positive experience. If he says that he lost the card I would believe him. When you deal with a large number of cards as he does a mistake will occur occasionally.

Sean
12-23-2018, 04:48 AM

Back in 2009 I was working on a 1965 Topps set. A card that I needed had sold a week earlier for $525. Kruk then listed the card in the same grade, and I won the auction for $380. The next day Kruk informed me that the card was "out of stock."

I left them terrible feedback, but when you sell 100 items a week the negatives get buried by all the people who have positive things to say about their $12 purchase. I would never do business with those jackasses again.

Sean
12-23-2018, 04:50 AM
Several years ago my father was buying 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 8's like they were candy. One came from Kruk and was way off center. Not anything like what was pictured in the auction. Said they must have accidentally sent that one to someone else. No offer to remedy the situation as they claimed it was still a PSA 8. That was when they were only about $500-$600.

Maybe we should start a thread about the awful business practices of Kruk Cards.

seablaster
12-23-2018, 06:02 AM
never trust a guy named after a car driven by David Hasselhoff!

Not to split hairs, but the car name was spelled KITT.

In response to the OP’s question, I can’t say I’d be too jazzed about it, but I’d be more thankful that it’s a card that is readily available.

mechanicalman
12-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Maybe we should start a thread about the awful business practices of Kruk Cards.

They do this often. I would contribute to the thread.

Leon
12-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Kit is one of my favorite people to chat with at National shows. From knowing him a little bit I can say most definitely it was an honest mistake.

ls7plus
12-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Kit is one of my favorite people to chat with at National shows. From knowing him a little bit I can say most definitely it was an honest mistake.

+1 exactly!

Highest regards,

Larry

Promethius88
12-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post

Lol, I've never personally had any other business dealings with them. But, sounds like others have.

jchcollins
12-26-2018, 07:10 PM
Have dealt with Kit multiple times over the decades now and have nothing but positive things to say about him. Things happen, and at a minimum I'm sure he'll make it right.

jchcollins
12-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Back in 2009 I was working on a 1965 Topps set. A card that I needed had sold a week earlier for $525. Kruk then listed the card in the same grade, and I won the auction for $380. The next day Kruk informed me that the card was "out of stock."

Unfortunately eBay sellers who sometimes don't get the price they want and then claim the card is either lost or out of stock is increasingly all too common. It sucks, but sometimes pays to comb through the feedback minutiae on sellers with any negatives to make sure they don't pull that kind of crap.

rdixon1208
12-26-2018, 07:29 PM
By “You”, I meant anyone who would go to that level. Not you personally.

I think I'll try this one next time I'm trying to back out of an argument I'm losing to my wife.

Big Six
12-27-2018, 09:26 AM
I think I'll try this one next time I'm trying to back out of an argument I'm losing to my wife.

;)

Big Six
12-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately eBay sellers who sometimes don't get the price they want and then claim the card is either lost or out of stock is increasingly all too common. It sucks, but sometimes pays to comb through the feedback minutiae on sellers with any negatives to make sure they don't pull that kind of crap.

And this is exactly what I was trying to describe. I obviously did a poor job but I also get the sense that it is highly unlikely that Kit Young would pull something like this based upon the group’s near-unanimous feedback. Thanks so much... Matt

Exhibitman
12-27-2018, 10:01 AM
+1. Kit has been a legend in the hobby for at least 3 and a half decades. I ordered a 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit (Arco--sp?) Ted Williams in SGC NrMt+ last year, and the card arrived with the bottom of the SGC holder loose, which may or may not have done some very, very slight damage to the left lower bottom of the card when someone obviously dropped it. I was pissed for a moment and thought of returning it, but then I thought, "where am I going to find another?" While Adam states in his book on Exhibits that this issue remains rather readily available, this is simply not true with regard to the HOF'ers in the set. I monitor those with a continuing search on ebay, and almost every one that has shown up is a common, with the same one's popping up over and over. The elite HOF'ers have essentially been completely absorbed into permanent collections. My personal opinion is that there were a very small number of sample sets made by Arco and sent out to solicit licensing from such other companies as Bond Bread. They may well turn out to be some of the very rarest examples of the HOF'ers they feature ever.

In any event, yes, I would cut Kit Young some slack--he's done a lot to promote the hobby since the very early days!

Happy holidays,

Larry

Actually, what I wrote was "The cards are scarce but can be found." I search for them pretty regularly too and see quite a few HOFers. When I decided to go after the elite cards, I found the one I really wanted in great shape within a year or two at auction:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1947%20Bond%20Bread%20Exhibit%20Williams.jpg

and picked up some others as well from eBay

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/notanexhibitcard/websize/1947%20Bond%20Bread%20exhibit%20Musial.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/notanexhibitcard/websize/1947%20Bond%20Bread%20exhibit%20Slaughter.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/notanexhibitcard/websize/1947%20Bond%20Exhibit%20Reese%20signed.JPG

then I called it quits. Today, there are 38 cards listed on eBay and I could buy Rizzuto, Gordon, Kiner, Mize and Boudreau on the spot. To me that says scarce, not rare (though I am guessing that my Reese signed card is rare). That said, I suspect you are correct that the Stan, Joe D., Jackie and Ted cards are 'disappeared' into collections. I have been looking for two of them for a while and they do not surface as frequently as the lesser players, though I have to admit I haven't paid attention to Musial offerings as much since I got mine.

As to the OP and Kit Young, I've bought a number of cards from KY over the years and have never had any qualms with fulfillment. I am sure that they just misplaced the card. Heck, with a sale inventory of only a few thousand cards at any time I have misplaced three different ones this year alone. It happens.

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Actually, what I wrote was "The cards are scarce but can be found."

To me that says scarce, not rare (though I am guessing that my Reese signed card is rare).

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but this got me to thinking about how terms like "rare" are misapplied in the hobby. What is the difference in "rare" v. "scarce"? Quora online has this to say:

"Scarce is about demand while rare is about supply, more or less. "Scarce" tends to relate a quantity of something to its degree of demand, and there's a partial suggestion that the item is a necessity; e.g., "scarce" means "insufficient to meet needs."

Unless you are truly talking about something that I would consider scarce (I would say that is something you actually can't find, not just something you can find - even if only a few of - but it's expensive and so you don't buy it...) I'm not sure the definition really even matters. But it still makes me scowl when someone lists a card like a '56 Mickey Mantle as "rare" on eBay. Uh, no it's not. It's an expensive and highly desireable card, but it's not within shouting distance of "rare." There are a blue ton of them on eBay at any given moment.

I digress...