PDA

View Full Version : What is the most important lesson you've learned through collecting?

topcat61
12-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone, I wanted to find out what is or was the most important lessons you've learned while collecting? Has it changed your life or outlook for the better or worse?

I bring this up because for me, collecting has been mostly good -very positive and those I've met along the way have helped to shape my life.

I've met so many fantastic people through collecting, but about a year ago one of my best friends, a guy I met though collecting passed on from cancer and it's been fairly tough. I don't think there was a card show we didn't hit, even a National. Now if you ever had the chance to have gone to the Shriners Show in Boston, chances are, you probably bumped into my friend Bob Ward -probably one of the nicest collectors you'd ever want to meet -a collector's collector and a true kid at heart.

The good news is that I've learned so much from all of you as well. I take pride in the education I've gained through sports cards and though the players -everything from American history to economics to business and how to treat others and the history of the hobby. It's been an amazing adventure but I want to hear from you. Thanks.

Cliff Bowman
12-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Stay away from autographs unless you see the person sign it yourself, although I’ve known that for over thirty years.

Promethius88
12-21-2018, 11:01 AM
That at the end of the day, they are just pieces of cardboard. Don't let them consume your life or you will end up alienating the things that really matter.

Jim65
12-21-2018, 12:21 PM
That when you have a chance to buy a rare piece, buy it. You may have a long wait to find another.

barrysloate
12-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Acquire as much knowledge as you can before sinking a lot of money into collectables. Knowledge is power.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Tim at post #3.

Bigdaddy
12-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Patience and decisiveness.

Patience for those things that are common and decisiveness for those things that are not.

Along with #3 above, first and foremost.

ullmandds
12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Don't try to compete with other peoples collections...there is always someone else out there with a better collection...atleast in my world!

Throttlesteer
12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Buy what you like, not what's hot at the moment. Dont get caught in bidding wars for readily available stuff.

Mdmtx
12-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Taught me how to multiply by 36. :D

AGuinness
12-21-2018, 01:37 PM
That at the end of the day, they are just pieces of cardboard. Don't let them consume your life or you will end up alienating the things that really matter.

This is it, although a version of it is that I try to buy what I'll enjoy even if the bottom falls out in the market. Even if it is almost worthless, if I've bought something I can still enjoy having, then that's a win.

RedsFan1941
12-21-2018, 01:39 PM
if it’s from the Great Pittsburgh Find it’s got to be good

Touch'EmAll
12-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Figure out your max bids based on some due diligence ... and don't go over. Its ok to not buy. You can get into a hole if the card is ultra rare and you really want it. But I am not a set collector and never really "need" anything. But most importantly, enjoy the hobby.

gregr2
12-21-2018, 01:54 PM
For me, since I don’t collect rare issues, the biggest thing I’ve learned is to relax, there will be another card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALR-bishop
12-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Always snipe if possible

Thecafewha
12-21-2018, 02:26 PM
It’s not a race, enjoy the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puckpaul
12-21-2018, 03:03 PM
I think i learned that it is important to have a focus to your collection and not to make a lot of random purchases. Buying and selling is very costly if you have to move stuff, so dont waste money buying random things that look cheap. The 20% cost of auctioning at a minimum is very expensive if you buy and then need to sell. So, as others have said, buy what you truly like to collect and dont do it to try to make money.

Secondly, when something you have been looking for comes up and hasnt been for sale for a while (but you think its not that rare), be wary of chasing it in an auction. Often high prices draw out more of the item and the sexond and third auctions can go a lot lower. That one is hard to follow because you can get excited at the first opportunity!

Lastly, enjoy it, keep it fun for yourself.

JollyElm
12-21-2018, 03:04 PM
1. Always be prepared for disappointment.

2. When you run across something on ebay and immediately think, "Wow, that seems like a great price!," be ready to jump on it. (The usual caveats apply, so I'm not suggesting anyone be ignorant or get taken or anything like that.) I've run across cards that were seemingly listed way low, made a mental note of them, and then went to research pricing, but by the time I went back to find said cards BOOM!! they were already gone (would've been great if I could have linked The Eagles' 'Already Gone' video here) and I was left with regrets.

BearBailey
12-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Collect what you want/like.

ls7plus
12-21-2018, 03:13 PM
That when you have a chance to buy a rare piece, buy it. You may have a long wait to find another.

+1. In addition, stay away from current players who appear to be on a HOF track until they are at least in their mid-thirties. By that time, their legacy or lack of same will be well-established, and the early speculative and transient demand which forms a large part of their usually inflated prices will have largely departed. After all, the market for current and/or recent players is certainly not divorced from vintage--today's heroes and those of recent yesteryear are destined to become yesterday's stars also, and they and their cards will have to compete with vintage stars and HOF'er based on their true merit and ratio of supply to demand.

In addition, Barry is absolutely right--knowledge is power. The more you know in this context, the better your purchases will be if you have any interest at all in value appreciation over the long term.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Peter_Spaeth
12-21-2018, 03:55 PM
if it’s from the Great Pittsburgh Find it’s got to be good

I can't stop laughing.

Peter_Spaeth
12-21-2018, 03:58 PM
I think i learned that it is important to have a focus to your collection and not to make a lot of random purchases. Buying and selling is very costly if you have to move stuff, so dont waste money buying random things that look cheap. The 20% cost of auctioning at a minimum is very expensive if you buy and then need to sell. So, as others have said, buy what you truly like to collect and dont do it to try to make money.

Agreed. I definitely have a focus, I'm just not sure what it is.:cool:

Howe’s Hunter
12-21-2018, 03:59 PM
so don't even try and don't worry about it.

Peter_Spaeth
12-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Collect what you want/like.

It's the old cliché, but this is really what it all comes down to. There's no right or wrong way to do this, most people have a pretty good idea of what interests them and moves them and works for them so trust your instincts.

And I would add another cliché on the flip side. When in doubt, pass.

Gradedcardman
12-21-2018, 04:14 PM
That when you are ready to sell, no one gives a damn what you paid and they shouldn't. Its all about the market at that moment.

Hankphenom
12-21-2018, 04:21 PM
The hunt is exciting, but can also become all-consuming. Try to squeeze as much pleasure as you can from the prizes you have already acquired, don't just put them away and turn all your attention to the next acquisitions. That's why I love display pieces on the wall and displays created in riker mounts, etc., just to look at as I go about my day or play my guitar.

A corollary to this is to learn to let things go. There's not a single item you own that you can't live without, and when you sell something you will forget about it almost immediately. And if you always sell off the "bottom" of your collection in terms of your interest, you are constantly improving it. Took me a while to get there, but now I enjoy selling from my collection almost as much as adding to it!

CobbSpikedMe
12-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Sometimes it's more fun to give a card to someone who needs it rather than sell it. It all comes back around eventually.

quitcrab
12-21-2018, 05:12 PM
I have learned that a nice raw card that I would put a 200 dollar price tag on at a card show could be submitted to PSA and come back a 9 and be easily sold for 800 to 900.

Card Grading has changed the way we buy,sell and collect.

Also:
Buy the card not the grade
Collect what you like
Overpay a bit for something you really want
Take a risk and buy something you have never seen before and hope for the best.
Add a little extra in a deal when you can.

T206Collector
12-21-2018, 05:49 PM
so don't even try and don't worry about it.

#this

timn1
12-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Be sensible, but give others the benefit of the doubt. There are many more good folks than jerks. That’ll come back around.

Also remember that it’s supposed to be about having fun, so that if some activity starts to feel stressful, it’s probably not where you want to be (unless of course you are a stressophiliac).

EvilKing00
12-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Have patience .... but if you see something that never comes up that you want buy it asap

Bram99
12-21-2018, 08:19 PM

Secondly, when something you have been looking for comes up and hasnt been for sale for a while (but you think its not that rare), be wary of chasing it in an auction. Often high prices draw out more of the item and the sexond and third auctions can go a lot lower. That one is hard to follow because you can get excited at the first opportunity!

Lastly, enjoy it, keep it fun for yourself.

I liked this post the most of any so far. These are great learnings though for a hoarder they are hard to follow.

I would add that if you are buying with an eye for long-term appreciation, buy stars in really nice condition.

If you are not as concerned about return, then set collecting is a fun pastime. But set collecting is not the way to maximize long term appreciation.

For any card, the lower the grade the less scarce and so the lower the potential appreciation.

PiratesWS1979
12-21-2018, 08:47 PM
The chase is a lot more fun then owning forever.

yanksfan09
12-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Have patience .... but if you see something that never comes up that you want buy it asap

Sums it up for me! ... Be ready to strike! Watch softy but carry a big stick.

mrvster
12-21-2018, 09:59 PM
I have learned collecting has been very cruel yet rewarding at the same time....

most important lesson:

"PEOPLE ARE WORTH MORE THAN CARDBOARD, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU"

"RESPECT OTHERS AND TREAT THEM THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED"

I try to follow this at all times, sometimes the cardboard gets the better of me, my passion, but in the end collectors / people are worth more than any dream card....:) RIP to our fellow collectors, especially Jantz:o

Fred
12-21-2018, 10:05 PM
When you think you've seen it all, you find out you haven't.

Third party autograph "authenticators" are not as good as they think they are.

bcbgcbrcb
12-22-2018, 05:46 AM
One lesson that I learned the hard way, it is virtually impossible to differentiate a Type I photo from non-Type I photos by just looking at scans online. If you have the photo in hand, that's a different story. If buying online, stick with reputable sellers that you know. Also, from experience, around 95% of vintage Negro League images listed on e-bay are not Type I originals so that's probably not a good place to buy. Like everything else, you can get lucky once in a while but the odds are not in your favor and you will lose many, many more times than you will win.

Republicaninmass
12-22-2018, 07:32 AM
The best source of new material (business) is the competition

hcv123
12-22-2018, 11:05 AM
1 - Buy what you know and know what you buy
2 - There is A LOT of good in people
3 - There is A LOT of bad in people
4 - While life isn't always easy, take pleasure in and savor the special moments
5 -Let your children lead and teach you
6 - Negotiate, but don't let what you know to be rare go
7 - It is ALWAYS better to pay more for quality
8 - Adults collect baseball cards too!
9 - Wishes can come true
10 - Life/collecting always leaves you wanting something

brianp-beme
12-22-2018, 11:14 AM
The most important lesson I have learned through collecting is that I have yet to learn my lesson.

Brian (a repeat offender since the Eighties)

samosa4u
12-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Most of us like to buy vintage HOF'er rookies, and these can be very expensive. This is why it is always a good idea to buy a bunch of commons first. This way you can study them and learn about the set before buying the main card. A lot of these key vintage rookies that we want are altered (even the ones inside slabs.) Now when you have studied so many commons, then you will easily be able to spot the ones that look odd. In other words, you'll be able to tell if any have been bleached, trimmed, corners pressed, etc.

pawpawdiv9
12-22-2018, 11:43 AM
when posting pics:
1. don't look like a slob
2. clean your hands & nails
3. no hairs on the card
4. don't stand in front of a mirror
5. put the lotions away
6. half of us are in the 40's + and cant see sh&t, post larger pics.
7. most of us like checking women from the f&B, so lets see the front & backs of cards
8. if its too good to be true, then put it on Ebay.

bnorth
12-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Sometimes it's more fun to give a card to someone who needs it rather than sell it. It all comes back around eventually.

^^THIS^^

Also always get scans/pics when doing a trade. Just saying as long as there is no major problems will get you a card that looks to have been folded in half and one with several pieces of tape stuck on it.:(

Gnep31
12-23-2018, 07:11 AM
I have learned this is my hobby and not my business.

I have come across too many collectors who are all business all the time. They want to squeeze every penny they can from you on a trade/deal/postage etc. Thankfully, the majority of members here are like myself, but I have had to walk away from a deal or two. This is fun for me and I would rather sacrifice a deal than to make it a job.

ullmandds
12-23-2018, 07:20 AM
I have learned this is my hobby and not my business.

I have come across too many collectors who are all business all the time. They want to squeeze every penny they can from you on a trade/deal/postage etc. Thankfully, the majority of members here are like myself, but I have had to walk away from a deal or two. This is fun for me and I would rather sacrifice a deal than to make it a job.

totally agree with this!

Jason
12-23-2018, 07:49 AM
One word...patience.

Jim65
12-23-2018, 08:00 AM
That when you are ready to sell, no one gives a damn what you paid and they shouldn't. Its all about the market at that moment.

+1

I hate when I make an offer that is more than fair and the seller replies that he paid more than that, I'm sorry that you overpaid but it does not mean I'm going to.

dabigyankeeman
12-23-2018, 08:06 AM
How to lie better. I got real good at acting casual when my wife complained about all the yellow envelopes coming in, and I would tell her, "Ah, just a bunch of cheap cards, a couple of bucks each"........

frankbmd
12-23-2018, 08:57 AM
How many cards my closet will hold?

and when it's full, seller's remorse isn't so bad.

Section103
12-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Im not sure Ive really learned a damn thing. Sometimes Im taught to just wait for the next one. Sometimes Im taught I really should have jumped on that one that just passed. Its ok though, I'll get by.

terjung
12-23-2018, 09:26 AM

This.

rjackson44
12-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Making friends

brian1961
12-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Several key ones. Among them:

1. Don't ever be afraid to over-pay, and perhaps even set a record for a buying price, if the piece you are contemplating is first, in ultra-high grade for the issue, and second, if it rarely comes up in that grade, and third and foremost, if the card is one you've wanted for a long time and love dearly, and have to tear yourself away from looking at it. This occurred with me each time I bought a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle.

2. Be double-dog sure before you sell, or get rid of, a choice card in your collection. You might be ready to let it go, but YOU BETTER KNOW YOURSELF. I got rid of a nice 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson in the late 80s. Nice buyer, a Canadian, who told me he'd take it with him to the grave. That was nice. It wasn't long before I began to regret selling it. The card was a solid EXCELLENT -TO- MINT, and nicely centered. I really like how Jack looks, and I love the promotion. Overall, those beauties are rare today. They've appreciated handsomely, but are probably still quite underrated. It was only when I produced my fantasy 1954 Wilson Franks Jackie Robinson did my pain vanish.

3. Treat as many people as possible with kindness and dignity. You never know who you're actually dealing with. I've hauled off and slugged some collectors verbally who were being belligerent with me, true. But life is hard as it is, and I try to show a glad hand, and congratulate other collectors when they're full of joy over a new acquisition. Then again, there's all too many thoughtless, udder assholes in this hobby, full of pure selfishness---- braggadocios of the third degree, and it's kinda hard sometimes. So, I say all that to say, it's good to hold thy tongue, lest one stick their smelly foot in their mouth, and regret it! 'Course, I keep my feet nicely scrubbed!:D

Though I admit I am out of the ball game as far as buying vintage material, and have been for some time, the basic drive and collector strategies and intermingling have not changed one whit.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only hope for peace was born in the Middle East. His name is Jesus Christ, the Kind of Kings, and the Lord of Lords! The promised Messiah---to the Jews first and the Gentiles second.

---- Brian Powell

GasHouseGang
12-24-2018, 12:04 AM
It's better to buy quality than quantity.

theshleps
12-24-2018, 12:32 AM
My friend once said it well "cards can't love you back".
I have made some great purchases and some foolish ones- trades too. Don't beat yourself up over the bad ones or items you should have bid higher on. It is alot of fun but there are more satisfying things too and it won't say on your headstone- best T206 collection or something like that

BruceinGa
12-24-2018, 09:16 AM
I've learned many things.
Collect what you like.
Buy the best you can afford.
Have a budget and TRY to follow it.
Be patient, most times nicer cards will surface.
I'm not good at grading so don't buy raw cards.
Be organized.

Jdoggs
12-24-2018, 12:49 PM
It's better to buy quality than quantity.

+1
Yes quality most important.

Jdoggs
12-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Don't try to compete with other peoples collections...there is always someone else out there with a better collection...atleast in my world!

+1
Yes someone always has a better card collection.
Unless you are ken Kendrick he has the best collection.

Mark
12-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Don't touch the corners.

kmac32
12-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Learned several things. First, not everything is about money. You may have a card somebody wants that is more valuable than what they can afford or want to pay but you make the deal anyway just for the goodwill it creates. Helping other collectors with their collection can change their day from a bad day to a great day.

Next, fairness. Life is not always about me. You learn to be kinder and more forgiving.

You also learn to appreciate what you have. Just seein* my collection makes me smile.

Johnny630
12-24-2018, 02:34 PM
A card is worthless until you sell it. Never let emotions get the best of you when selling or buying a card.

Merry Christmas to All :-)

bobbvc
12-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Pay attention to detail!

Leon
12-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Saying Mr. Kendrick has the best collection is a bit naive, imo. He has some great looking high grade cards for sure. But there are other collections which are far more valuable and with a much greater breadth....

and something learned would probably be ...to be patient.

+1
Yes someone always has a better card collection.
Unless you are ken Kendrick he has the best collection.

ksfarmboy
12-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Take a break from the chase to enjoy what you have and share your collection with others. Don’t beat yourself up over the losses something else will come along.

Jdoggs
12-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Enjoy what you got. Someone also has more but remember someone has less too.

HercDriver
12-24-2018, 05:27 PM

The mantra of OBC!! Nothing better than sending Random Acts of Kindness...:)

Take Care,
Geno

ls7plus
12-25-2018, 08:13 PM
+1

I hate when I make an offer that is more than fair and the seller replies that he paid more than that, I'm sorry that you overpaid but it does not mean I'm going to.

I like this one. Brings to mind the experience I had at last year's National with a dealer who had a 1917-20 M106 Felix Mendelsohn Tris Speaker with two large tack holes in the card. It is, in truth, a rare card, but the tack holes were quite distracting and decreased the eye appeal substantially. Still, I made him what I considered to be an extremely reasonable offer for the card. His indignant reply was, "I paid more than that for it!" My response was that maybe it was time to cut his losses. He disagreed. Who knows? If restoration continues to make an impact and this set continues to gain recognition, maybe time will reveal that he made the right choice!

Best to all this holiday season,

Larry

ls7plus
12-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Saying Mr. Kendrick has the best collection is a bit naive, imo. He has some great looking high grade cards for sure. But there are other collections which are far more valuable and with a much greater breadth....

+1. Who has the best collection will almost always depend on one's perspective.

Sincerely,

Larry

HercDriver
12-25-2018, 08:39 PM
That is so true!! I bought GE stock, and it has tanked. So who do I complain to that I lost? I hate when people want to pass their bad decisions on to me...

Cheers,
Geno

I like this one. Brings to mind the experience I had at last year's National with a dealer who had a 1917-20 M106 Felix Mendelsohn Tris Speaker with two large tack holes in the card. It is, in truth, a rare card, but the tack holes were quite distracting and decreased the eye appeal substantially. Still, I made him what I considered to be an extremely reasonable offer for the card. His indignant reply was, "I paid more than that for it!" My response was that maybe it was time to cut his losses. He disagreed. Who knows? If restoration continues to make an impact and this set continues to gain recognition, maybe time will reveal that he made the right choice!

Best to all this holiday season,

Larry

oldjudge
12-25-2018, 09:45 PM

Leon is exactly right. Kendrick probably has the finest, or close to finest, copy of every card he has. Unfortunately, he does not have a lot of diversity in his collection. There are at least two board members who have both better, and more valuable, collections (not me, lol).

drcy
12-26-2018, 12:14 AM
That you are an expert in one area doesn't make you an expert in another area. Approach a new area realizing there is much you don't know.

toledo_mudhen
12-26-2018, 05:14 AM
+1

2 Things -

1.) Buy High - Sell Low and
2.) Pete Rose deserves to be in HOF

topcat61
12-28-2018, 10:23 AM
I have learned collecting has been very cruel yet rewarding at the same time....

most important lesson:

"PEOPLE ARE WORTH MORE THAN CARDBOARD, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU"

"RESPECT OTHERS AND TREAT THEM THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED"

I try to follow this at all times, sometimes the cardboard gets the better of me, my passion, but in the end collectors / people are worth more than any dream card....:) RIP to our fellow collectors, especially Jantz:o

That is so true. I've found over the years that card collecting has taken a backseat to the knowledge I've gained though the cards (like history, economics and how the game and hobby have evolved) and through the people I've met.

I think the hobby has a lot to teach us and I love these comments, great perspectives.

topcat61
12-28-2018, 10:29 AM
+1. Who has the best collection will almost always depend on one's perspective.

Sincerely,

Larry

Larry, I have found that no one will ever appreciate the time, energy and knowledge you put onto your collection more than you.

jchcollins
12-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Cool topic for a post - as it really made me think. I like a lot of what I have read here! The below are just for me personally and may not apply to everyone - but in 32 years of buying cards off and on since I opened that first Topps pack at age 9 - here is what I would say:

1. Don't sweat it when you have to sell something: First off, I don't have hidden hoards of disposable income in the closet or my safety deposit box down at the bank, and second - I'm married, so even if I did... when I want to add something substantial to my collection - like some of the rest of you, it sometimes requires me to sell something that I already have to finance said purchase. I've learned the hard way over the years that I will ponder and deliberate in frustration for hours up to days about selling whatever it is...but then whenever it is done and after I've put the card in the mail - 9 out of 10 times I don't think about it ever again after a few days. I know many people have regrets selling cards like this - but strangely and even for some pretty hefty expensive and/or important vintage cards - this does not happen to me. I'm always able to move on to whatever I just bought or other pieces of my collection.

2. Don't forget about something as soon as it's in hand and move on only in the spirit of the chase: No disrespect to those of you that do this, but I've never understood the type of collector who will brag to others about having this or that fantastic card, "Oh, but I haven't seen it in 10 years because it's locked-up down at the bank." Huh? I guess I can see that point with ultra expensive cards, but to me this totally defeats the purpose of having a nice collection. I LOOK at my favorite cards - daily, hell I've been known sometimes to take a few with me to work or on trips. Jefferson Burdick has a quote about cards being able to lift you from your present concerns - "work-a-day cares" or something like that. How are you going to do that if you never look at your cards?

3. Participate in the hobby in some way: Do something other than just stockpiling cardboard. I don't have the time or luxury to drive anymore to go to shows, and all the LCS's in the area have forsaken me and closed as well - but only after that was when I found Net54. Just talking about the hobby and reflecting on the various topics that come up here has been tremendously enjoyable to me over the past 3+ years now. Truth be told, I probably get more out of the Net54 board interaction than I do from the cards themselves. I've always been a bit of a nerdy introvert with the hobby - I don't have a lot of hobby friends I see in person (sorry, for me this is mostly about cards, less about people...er, at least in person) and I generally tend to it when my wife and kids are doing other things. But I will say that the advent of the internet opened up another whole world to me in terms of finding a place to talk about the hobby.

4. As others have said: Collect what you like and don't be swung to do something just because it's popular for others you admire or in the hobby in general. The classic example for me is set collecting. I don't know how many times I've tried to be a set collector just because it seems like the thing I should be doing, but I can tell you I've failed every single time. Even with beautiful vintage sets like '67 Topps - there will come a point where I get tired of spending money on common cards. I simply don't care that much about them. At the end of the day for an additional card, I'd rather have a HOFer out of a set that I'm NOT collecting, than a 1967 Topps Herman Franks just because - well...I guess I need him because I'm doing the set. I've also realized as I came to terms with the set collecting issue - that it's incredibly liberating to NOT need certain random cards just because of the set. Technically now I don't "need" anything - each additional card I get because I want it, and only because I want it. And there is no next step or required piece. I may buy 50 more cards this year, or I may be done. It doesn't matter because there is no goal line.

5. Let it be a hobby, but not an obsession. If any decision around collecting or about a purchase becomes too stressful or difficult, let it go. The cards are what I go to ostensibly to escape the real world. If they are suddenly a source of stress themselves, well then something ain't right...

I could go on...but wiill leave these as my thoughts for now. Thanks!

pitchernut
12-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Due diligence, one reason I don't care for tpg's.

T205Cub
12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
For me, it's a few things:

1. Patience. If it's something that comes along pretty often, don't rush to overpay or settle for something you aren't happy with just because you want it now. Another will be along. That said, if it's something harder to come by and you're ready to buy, pounce when when it comes along assuming you're satisfied with it. It's OK to overpay a little IMO (within reason) for something scarce that you really want.

2. Finish what you start. When I was younger I found that I kept selling off stuff I'd started to fund the next obsession. I was having fun but my collection was going nowhere. I finally found the discipline in later years to stick with something until it's done, and now I have a nice collection. Also don't spread yourself too thin and have too many irons in the fire. Stay focused. Especially if you're a set builder. I guess this all goes back to patience, too.

3. Have fun and collect what you like. It doesn't have to be expensive, high grade, or what everyone else likes. If you don't enjoy the hobby then you're doing it wrong. :)

Exhibitman
12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Many interesting thoughts in this thread but they are all 'growed up' ones. I found the most profound lessons I learned from collecting were learned as a kid:

1: Negotiations 101: Card collecting was great preparation for business life. I got ripped off quite a bit when I first started collecting. A couple of older kids in my neighborhood took advantage of my naivete as a 6-9 year old. But those were early, cheap lessons in the psychology and the nuts and bolts of deal making: how to maintain a poker face, how to facilitate a negotiation, bundling items for trade or sale, how to approach discounting, etc. By the time I was a tween I was a card shark, so to speak, and by the time I got to professional practice as a lawyer, analyzing and negotiating settlements in civil litigation was second nature to me because of all the negotiating I did as a kid card collector.

2: The value of information: I devoured everything I could find on cards and collecting. As a result I developed better knowledge of rare and esoteric issues than many others, even dealers. One of the reasons I've always gravitated to oddball issues is that relative information advantage. It is one reason why I spend so much time at the National going through random accumulations of stuff: there's gold in them thar piles, if you know how to look at them. That lesson has served me well in life too.

3: STFU and listen: You have two ears and two eyes and one mouth, so you should probably speak 20% of the time and listen and watch 80% of the time. People will reveal so much about themselves, if you shut your cakehole and pay attention.

4: When it comes to old stuff, don't just assume something is trash: a variant on information value. There have been quite a few times in my collecting life that I have stumbled across something that isn't in my collecting wheelhouse but that seemed interesting and worth saving, and I have rarely regretting saving it. My greatest find was literally saved from the garbage: I salvaged thousands of pieces of Academy Awards memorabilia from the trash when I was hired to clear out 50 or so old file cabinets at my father's public relations company during spring break one year in college. I didn't even know there was a market for the stuff but it was so cool that I kept everything that looked interesting, and selling it over the years paid for a lot of baseball cards.

5: Your word is all you have: should be self-explanatory but unfortunately isn't. You have one reputation so you best not destroy it with shady practices.

Jdoggs
01-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Leon is exactly right. Kendrick probably has the finest, or close to finest, copy of every card he has. Unfortunately, he does not have a lot of diversity in his collection. There are at least two board members who have both better, and more valuable, collections (not me, lol).

Wow so that means at least 2 board members have each in excess of 30 to 40 million dollars worth of strictly cards.

Yastrzemski Sports
01-03-2019, 08:52 PM
I collected for many years before opening my store. Life is short - do what makes you happy.

mrvster
01-03-2019, 09:05 PM
seeing one of those collection I would imagine you would need some O2:)

MikeGarcia
01-03-2019, 10:14 PM
Wow so that means at least 2 board members have each in excess of 30 to 40 million dollars worth of strictly cards.

Please use discretion ; sometimes TheWidowGarcia reads these boards...I'd just as soon she didn't know some things...